Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Norm's Rotor Service Help

Reviews Summary for Norm's Rotor Service
Norm's Rotor Service Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Antenna rotor service, sales, and parts.
More info: http://www.rotorservice.com/

You can write your own review of the Norm's Rotor Service.

N9DWE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2017 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent in my rotor that had been up for 20 years and survived about everything. It was time for an overhaul. I had always heard good things about Norm's rotor service and so sent the rotor and control box in for repair. When I got it back it was perfect, as they say it looked right off the show room floor.
He installed the delayed brake mechanism, what a nice feature. He answered all my questions in a timely and professional manner, unfortunately one was cockpit error. I would recommend Norm's rotor service anytime for your Ham
Rotor repairs.

K7ORV Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2017 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Awesome advice with the parts!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Norm was great about advising me what I needed in addition to the failed part and answering several questions I had about how to protect the rotor from failure in the future. He also went the extra mile by putting a handwritten note on the receipt informing me the self adhesive on the brake pads would need gasket sealer or some type of glue added. I used 3M contact weatherstrip adhesive and it worked out great. Thanks Norm.

WG5N Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2016 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently sent an older "dead" Ham IV rotor along with the control box. Norm completely rebuilt the defective rotor and box. Made them look and work as new. I highly recommend his services. Excellent customer service and repair work.

AD6GE Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Norm's Great Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a part for a rotor control box that I was given. I wrote to Norms, and received a reply in less than an hour with the part description and price shipped.
I ordered the part, paid vis PayPal(recommended by Norms) and the part was shipped the same day.
They have wonderful customer service, and I highly recommend them. AD6GE

KE0CWR Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2015 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Parts Order & Information  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Alliance 73 Rotor still works but needed some hardware , E Mailed Norm for Information Expecting to wait days or weeks for a reply as is the case with a lot of internet stores . Supprised me to no end when got reply with in 30 min.
This is late afternoon , he had what I wanted & gave me Pay Pay information I ordered parts he shipped the next morning & 3 days later got what I ordered all in good shape.
Best place on internet I have ever done bussines With Will recomend

K6BRN Rating: 0/5 Oct 15, 2015 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Eccentric and unreliable hobby shop  Time owned: more than 12 months
Contacted Norms Rotor Service recently (10/14/2015, based on eham rave reviews) to get a price and availability quote via email (Per Norms website recommendation) on a new old stock or rebuilt HD-73 rotor to replace one that is 20 years old and has a bad directional potentiometer. Both products are listed on the website. In return I received a sarcastic email demanding to know my exact application, the serial number of the existing rotor, its ink stamp (which perished long ago) and asking me to explain why I'm not rebuilding the old one. No availability information on the products I asked about was supplied. I replied that I was not interested in a rebuild and just wanted to purchase a NOS (or already rebuilt unit) as listed on the website. In response I received a terse response that Norms could not meet my needs - with zero explanation.

It appears to me that Norms is run by a very eccentric proprietor whose listed products are apparently notional rather than real and who MAY rebuild your rotor IF you convince him you've been good to it. No rebuild, no product. Not a real business at all - really a hobby shop. If you have weeks of time to kill and can convince Norms that you have a worthy rotator to rebuild, you may do better. I simply sought to buy one - no joy there.

On Monday, I'll drop over to Ham City, where I always receive prompt, well informed and courteous service, and pick up a new Yaesu 800 series rotator, which will meet my needs with nearly 100% margin - and is less expensive than Norms listed price for the seemingly ficticious NOS HD-73.

Then I'll put the new rotator in, get back on the air and probably rebuild the old unit for future use, as a fun project. Its not rocket science. The pot and bearings are both available on line.

In short, a really disappointing experience with Norms. If you do try to do business with them, have a plan B ready. Based on past good reviews, it seems that times are changing at Norms.

N4DH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2015 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Like new exchange  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 15 year old Ham II started to become balky on heading NW of due North.. I knew at sometime in the near future it was doomed to fail. I had ordered parts from Norm's Rotor Sevice in the past and every part was new and there were some upgraded parts that Norm recommended. I repaired an old Ham M with few problems. At 79 years old I did not want to do that again. Dashed off an email to Norm and instantly received a return email with several questions.. I stared at the email a few minutes wondering why the questions. I then realized he wanted to be sure I would be getting the right size rotor to turn the size and model of beam I had. I also had a CDE rotor control box that needed the brake delay mod.
I enquires about upgrading my box and he assured me he could do it at a reasonable price. I decided I needed new rotor cable with the correct connectors on each end. Norm recommended an amp 8 pin connector for the rotor end. He said his rebuilt rotor would come with that connector built in.
The other end was my choice. I needed a Cinch/Jones 8 pin connector for my new DCU-3 rotor control box. A 100' long cable was made up by Norm and I had it in a few days.

I sent my control box in for the mod and Norm also installed an 8 pin pigtail with a female Cinch/Jones connector. That way I could use the older box for a backup controller.
Long story short, the replacement rotor with the upgraded control box arrived in 3 weeks, well packed in one box.
The rotor and control box looked brand new.

I had already run my cable from the shack to the bottom of the tower. Inside the box was also a checklist of what work had been done and a chart with wiring of the plugs with color coded rotor cable. Norm's note reminded me to check out the rotor with the control boxes. Each checked perfect and read outs of compass directions were very close between the old analog box and the new DCU-3. Had my tower guy put up the rotor 2 days later. Dropped a screw on the ground, but found it instantly. Otherwise the rotor went up without a hitch.

It was a real pleasure to deal with Norm and when testing the rotor it had such a quiet sound to it when rotating it on the ground. I felt like I was putting up a brand new installation.
After removing my old rotor I shipped my old weather worn crippled rotor to Norm in the same box the rebuilt one came in.

During the transaction, I had several dumb questions for Norm.
He was very timely in returning emails, and it was a pleasant experience to deal with him.

I would highly recommend using his service if you need your rotor repaired or rebuilt.. The price was reasonable also.
Norm will not try to sell you anything you do not need.
Bill, N4DH

WN8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2015 07:53 Send this review to a friend
FAST Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
RotorNorm has repaired control boxes two times for me.
The control box for the Alliance HD-73 is about 30 years old. He can make it look NEW, he has the parts,skill,knowledge to work wonders. It may be my old but it looks so good.
Give him a try, If it can be repaired I pick Norm every time.

Kenny/WN8Y

KQ6PJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 14:41 Send this review to a friend
KQ6PJ Another Happy Customer  Time owned: more than 12 months
After ~30 yrs of faithful service my T2X Tailtwister finally gave up. So off to Norm it went. After 7 weeks it came back in first class operating condition. He is obviously kept busy due to his excellent work. For less than half the cost of a new unit I will hopefully get another 30yrs of service.

K2IZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 21:32 Send this review to a friend
great refurbished unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 40 years in service I finally replaced my Ham M II, the original unit has a terminal strip on the bottom of the rotor for the control cable, Norm modifies this with a weatherproof Cinch plug, the other end of the rotor control cable, very good quality I will add, has an 8 pin Cinch Jones plug, a pig tail is provided with spade terminals on one end for the control box and an 8 pin plug on the other, now if a lightning storm is in the area I can disconnect my rotor cable.
Norm also installs the brake release delay modification in the control box, over the years I had gotten into the habit of releasing the brake, turning the antenna and when it stopped did a slow count to 5 before releasing the brake, apparently others do not do this resulting in the wedge brake snapping off inside the rotor