Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Norm's Rotor Service Help

Reviews Summary for Norm's Rotor Service
Norm's Rotor Service Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Antenna rotor service, sales, and parts.
More info: http://www.rotorservice.com/

You can write your own review of the Norm's Rotor Service.

N3HYB Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
positive  Time owned: more than 12 months
So my T-2X fails. I email Norms saying I am going to send in my control and my rotor but I failed to send them in waiting for them to send me a swap rotor. They very nicely told me what I had to do and I did it. They quickly rebuilt both my units,
told me what went wrong and gave me several things to do in order to avoid the problem again. They tolerated my nagging emails and never lost their cool. My rotor and control are better than they ever were with the new improvements. Norm's is simply thew best. To the tech that put up with me and fixed my rotor, Have a great holiday. All the best to you and yours, Don N3HYB

N4FBW Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Great job on an HD-73 and Control Box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used and, according to the seller, a 'in good condition' HD-73 rotor this summer. I noticed that the position reading on the meter was not indicating properly, so I opened up the rotator. There were several issues including bad bearings. I contacted Rotor Norm for some advice and bought a new position pot, new bearings and a grease kit. As I began work on the rotor, more problems came up and I decided to send it to Rotor Norm for service along with the repair parts that I had for the rotor. Rotor Norm suggested I send in the control box as well, which was looking rather long in the tooth. It took about six weeks for the control box and rotor to be serviced which is what I was told up front. They also gave me credit for the parts I had already purchased. The rotor and control box look BRAND NEW! The quality of the work is top notch and they sent me a detailed invoice of the work done. The labor rates are really cheap compared to those here in CA. I've spent quite a bit of money on this rotor and can honestly say that I'll never buy another used rotator from a ham. Instead, I'll buy one from Rotor Norm's (they sell rebuilt and new rotors)! If you are having rotator problems, give Norm's a call or send an e-mail. These guys are the best!

KF7PBM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend - Second to None  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll try to make this short & to the point... Norm is a miracle worker.

I bought a "Ham IV" from another ham who posted an ad ... along with another rotor & other items ... It was not a Ham IV, but a Ham II. In short, both rotors had issues, bad pots, missing bearing races, wrong hardware, etc. I called Norm.

When I got my Ham II rotor back I did not want to put it on the tower & just wanted to set it on my coffee table & stare at it. If you did not know better you'd swear that it was a brand new model straight from the factory.

Norm is very patient - I asked a lot of dumb questions. Norm was always willing to help me no matter how dumb/simple the question. He took a great deal of time to educate me on what needed to be done (I had a few rotors & was not sure which path to take with the antenna I had).

I would not hesitate to recommend Norm to anyone needing his services ... I honestly feel bad to taking up his time with my dumb questions.

I gave Norm Five stars ... because I can't give him ten!

A definite shining star which is hard to come by in today's society.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
great parts service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I emailed Norm concerning parts to rebuilt a Ham style control box. He responded quickly and provided the parts and prices. I phoned him to place the order and he spent time to make sure I was purchasing the correct parts. The parts were securly packaged and arrived very quickly.

N1API Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding in all ways  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Norm's did a fantastic job on my T2X rotor which sounded like a coffee grinder when I took it off the tower.

Great communication with Norm and the staff, before and during the repair. They were quick to reply to emails queries on approximate time and average repair cost and even advised to ship before the holiday shutdown to have the rotor in the queue for repair after everyone returned from holiday.

I got several emails during the repair advising me of issue found asking how I would like to address them. I sent both the box and the rotor even though the box did not need to be repaired, (they noted that the meter lights were out but I was OK with that). They verified that the repaired rotor and box worked perfectly together. Finally the rotor got a nice new paint job and looks and performs like one that just came out of the factory.

Price was very reasonable for the time and work done and payment was quick and easy using PayPal. Shipment was fast and the rotor and box were packed well and arrived in first class condition.

Norm's is the place to go if you have a sick rotor or box and I would use them again in a heartbeat.

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2012 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Norm is fantastic!

The control box for my old Hy-Gain CD45II Rotator does not show the direction of the antenna. I called Norm to make arrangements to send the control box for repair. Norm sent me an email suggesting one possible cause and a test to determine if the problem was in the rotator or the control box. I performed the test and followed Norm's suggestion and viola, the control box now works.

It was very nice of Norm to help me avoid shipping the control box in for repair. I would not hesitate to have him repair any of my rotators.

What a wonderful gentlemen. Thanks Norm!

Bob/AA6VB

WB6YIY Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Rotor Repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just a quick note to say that Norm of Norm's Rotor Service get's an A+++++++++ from this very satisfied customer. The rotor(Ham 3)was totaled. Norm rebuilt the rotor and the controller was completely
replaced and now it is mounted @ 30' turning a 4 element 6 meter beam on my Rohn tower. Excellent work!! Keep it up Norm, Al WB6YIY

KE0MS Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Rotor is just like new; Or, maybe it is NEW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought an Alliance HD-73 used from a local Ham Buddy. At 10 sq ft windload, they were the most economical choice for the serious ham back when I first got licensed in 1984. This one still worked, but was grungy, parts rusty and even had a silver-dollar sized hole in the base near the bottom! How that got there only the rotor knows I guess.

I was going to put that rotor up on my (hopefully last) 40 foot Rohn 25 tower project with three beams attached. (At age 52, I still love to climb and do tower work, but not because of a rotor failure.) So, decided I was not going to go the RED GREEN Duct-tape fix-it route. A Google search found Norm's Rotor service as about the only place to get any Alliance HD-73 rotors fixed.

So, after a couple of emails with cost estimates, I boxed it up and sent it in. I guess Norm is very busy, as it took him about two months to get mine back, but what I got in the mail was absolutely new looking! I sent in the control console, too, and he reworked the entire system, new caps, oiled, adjusted everything. Norm was even able to supply me with the correct stainless U-bolts for the mast clamp assembly.

Honestly, now that I look at it, I am not so sure that it isn't new. Yeah, I spent a couple of hundred dollars for his work and parts. But my near-garage-sale rotor is now new again in every way, and sure to last me at least another couple of decades or more... On my list of tower worries, this rotor is at the bottom of the list.

HD-73s are great rotors anyway and a great find even today. If you want to get what amounts to a "new" rotor both inside and out, send it to Norm. He knows his stuff.

Wayne, ke0ms

WB8KKZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2012 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Couldn't agree more with all the positive reviews. My sad rotor was fixed up beautifully, very pleased. Excellent communication, and detailed billing statement. Highly recommend!

KD8WSL Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2012 13:25 Send this review to a friend
TOPS !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Norm led me thru the process every step of the way during the install of a Ham-4 and even setting up the control box. He spent over an hour of his valuable time to make sure I became a "happy camper". No better place to get the right advice and service

KD8WSL Bill in Michigan