Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Norm's Rotor Service Help

Reviews Summary for Norm's Rotor Service
Norm's Rotor Service Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Antenna rotor service, sales, and parts.
More info: http://www.rotorservice.com/

You can write your own review of the Norm's Rotor Service.

KE0MS Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Rotor is just like new; Or, maybe it is NEW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought an Alliance HD-73 used from a local Ham Buddy. At 10 sq ft windload, they were the most economical choice for the serious ham back when I first got licensed in 1984. This one still worked, but was grungy, parts rusty and even had a silver-dollar sized hole in the base near the bottom! How that got there only the rotor knows I guess.

I was going to put that rotor up on my (hopefully last) 40 foot Rohn 25 tower project with three beams attached. (At age 52, I still love to climb and do tower work, but not because of a rotor failure.) So, decided I was not going to go the RED GREEN Duct-tape fix-it route. A Google search found Norm's Rotor service as about the only place to get any Alliance HD-73 rotors fixed.

So, after a couple of emails with cost estimates, I boxed it up and sent it in. I guess Norm is very busy, as it took him about two months to get mine back, but what I got in the mail was absolutely new looking! I sent in the control console, too, and he reworked the entire system, new caps, oiled, adjusted everything. Norm was even able to supply me with the correct stainless U-bolts for the mast clamp assembly.

Honestly, now that I look at it, I am not so sure that it isn't new. Yeah, I spent a couple of hundred dollars for his work and parts. But my near-garage-sale rotor is now new again in every way, and sure to last me at least another couple of decades or more... On my list of tower worries, this rotor is at the bottom of the list.

HD-73s are great rotors anyway and a great find even today. If you want to get what amounts to a "new" rotor both inside and out, send it to Norm. He knows his stuff.

Wayne, ke0ms

WB8KKZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2012 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Couldn't agree more with all the positive reviews. My sad rotor was fixed up beautifully, very pleased. Excellent communication, and detailed billing statement. Highly recommend!

KD8WSL Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2012 13:25 Send this review to a friend
TOPS !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Norm led me thru the process every step of the way during the install of a Ham-4 and even setting up the control box. He spent over an hour of his valuable time to make sure I became a "happy camper". No better place to get the right advice and service

KD8WSL Bill in Michigan

KF5KBZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2012 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Great vendor!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worth the couple of extra bucks over the big box stores. Norm will make sure you have the right stuff. Just call him. What a great resource. He knows what he's talking about. I purchased a rotator and cable and received everything ready to go. I would have wasted so much time and money without his advice!

K7ZD Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Knows his "stuff"  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second time with this vendor.. this fella knows what he's doing!! Excellent packing and follow-up.

K2QB Rating: 1/5 Jan 5, 2012 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well I might be in the minority but my experience with Norm's has been less than satisfactory. Originally I called and spoke with them regarding sending in my HDR300 for refurbishing. It had developed quite a bit of play in it over the years due to wearing. They were very helpful over the phone and per our conversation I sent my rotator in. My first clue of trouble should have been the lack of response from them when I tried to get some sort of update as to the status of my rotator once they had it. I did receive a rotator back after a few weeks and yes it did look new. Amazing what a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint can do. After about 2 months in service I noticed again tha there seemed to be "play" starting to creep in again. I emailed Norm's and there suggestion was to check my installation to be sure it was installed according to Hy-Gains instructions, check my mast for slippage, check my antenna mount for slippage and to make sure I wasn't overloading the rotator and maybe I should buy a bigger rotator. His exact words were "I've done all I can do for you". Long story short on that, it was none of what Norm's suggested and was definitely the rotator starting to wear again. The antenna is an Optibeam OD9-5, just under 8 sq. ft mounted inches above the thrust bearing, so it is in no way taxing a rotator designed to handle 25 sq. ft of load. Fast forward another two months and the rotator is now moving 20 degrees or so back and forth, very similar to the original problem that I sent mine in for. My emails to Norm's regarding this have gone unanswered. So after spending well over $500 to have a rotator rebuilt to resolve a specific problem, I now have someone elses rotator wih the same problem and Norm's doesn't feel that they should stand behind their repairs or do anything to help resolve this problem. So now I am left to once again have the rotator rebuilt or buy a new one. As my mounting plate is designed to accept an HDR-300 I guess I'll be having it re-built again. Only this time it will not be Norm's, that's for sure.

HK3PZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent overhaul and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About three months ago I sent a CDE Ham II rotor, bought in 1974, to Norm, for a complete repair and overhaul job. It came back from Norm's facilities looking and working much better than when new, so much so that I decided to modify it installing a ERC digital rotor control, made in Germany, to control its operation. The whole operation, turning a SteppIR two element antenna with the 40/30 meters add on, is very smooth and trouble free, no doubt as a result of the excellent overhaul made by Norm's Rotor Service.
Alberto Ospina O. HK3PZ

N8WD Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 10:22 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had three dealings with Norm. Completely satisfied every time, excellent service after the sale, highly recommended.

WB2EOD Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2010 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Overall Service and trade-in policy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recntly replaced an old HD73 (which was rebuilt years ago by Norm) with a brand new HamIV (also purchased from Norm).
Upon completion I sent the HD73 back for trade credit. About a month later I received a check in the mail. The amount was quite generous given the condition of the old unit and savings in time and trouble to advertise and sell it privately.
It was a pleasure doing business with Norm's Rotor Service

NI2S Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2010 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded expectations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Norm a tired 30 year old Alliance rotor w/controller, and got it back looking like it came off the factory assembly line yesterday.

Highly recommend this repair shop to anyone with a sick rotor.