Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Amplitec UG: HF-100/1500 Help

Reviews Summary for Amplitec UG: HF-100/1500
Amplitec UG: HF-100/1500 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $2,200
Description: HF Linear Amplifier with GS35b triode tube. 100 Watt input gives 1,500 Watt output. Made in Hungary by Pali Toth HA8UG.
More info: http://www.amplitec.hu/

You can write your own review of the Amplitec UG: HF-100/1500.

PA1HR Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2011 00:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent built amplifier, needs some modifications.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Pali HA8UG makes real excellent built amplifiers for HF, VHF and UHF. He has a very large and wide experience.

When I saw the UG:HF-100/1500 for the first time in 2009 in Dortmund I was very impressed by the way the amplifier was built. I published a photo impression on my internetsite, so you can see it by yourself.

A year later I bought the amplifier with the GS353b triode tube. Pali also makes the same amplifier with other tubes like the GS31b and GU84b and with 50 MHz included. With 50 MHz the amplifier costs about 200 Euro more.

The amplifier is built in a very large cabinet. This makes modifications, tube replacement and repair very easy.

All is made of very solid and modern material. Excellent!

The filtering is very good too; band input filters and harmonic filters are doing excellent.

The weight of the amplifier is hughe! About 45 kilo. This because of the very good transformer.

The User Manual is okay. I sent Pali some additional information how to operate linear amplifiers in the right way. Sometimes this is not easy for all of us ;-)

The service of Pali HA8UG is excellent! He is a very kind person and always willing to help his customers. I have full trust in his after sales. He replies in good English. Sometimes I had to wait for an answer for a couple of days; never mind about that.

IMHO there are some improvements of this linear amplifier:

- The blower makes noise. It is made in Italy and a 230 Volt type. The speed and airflow of the blower is choosen for full output. However it was not my intention to drive the linear with maximum in- and output. So I made a modification with an external variable transformer and put the blower on 115 Volt. Enough airflow for my needs and much less noise!

- The IMD of the GS35b triode tube is not very good. I did a lot of tests and measurements with a two-tone generator (1000 and 1800 Hz) hooked on my exciter FTdx5000d in Class A, processor switched off and no ALC. I reached -25dB and this should be at least -30dB or better. This is a disadvantage of the GS35b. This triode tube is very good available and not expensive at all (less than 100 Euro), but IMHO not really suited for very clean SSB operations on the HF-bands in Europe.

- The switchingspeed of the vacuum relay could be improved. I had some troubles with CW; the first character of the morse signal disappeared. Perhaps this was an individual problem and has nothing to do with the design of the UG:HF100-1500 which is not a QSK linear.

When these three improvements are implemented by Pali I will give the Amplitec UG:HF-100/1500 linear amplifier not a 5/5 but a 6/5!