Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TK-481 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TK-481
Kenwood TK-481 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 900 MHz Trunking handheld radio

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TK-481.

W5CEM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Rugged 900 mhz HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
To update the previous reviews. The 481 is an easy, inexpensive way to get on 902 FM! No modifications at no cost, cable is less than $20. My 481 has been dropped, abused, left in the hot sun, in below freezing car, etc. and never missed a beat. I can change the programming in less than 5 min depending on where I am.
K7NG Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Easy access to 900 MHz  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would like to get on the 900 MHz ham band when I lived in So. NV; there were lots of 900 repeaters. I got a couple different mobile/base radios that did the job but I really wanted a handheld also. I don't remember who first showed me a TK-481, but I have to thank him when I remember. It is a solid, compact portable that can be programmed for use in the 900 MHz ham band with ease. No hardware mods are needed. It has a nice display, good TX and RX audio, quite sensitive, and you should be able to find the right arrangement of buttons to suit yourself (all buttons are function-programmable). Batteries, antennas and chargers are all still available, as this radio, unlike the rest of the TK-x80 series, is still in production. Alas, now I live in an area without 900 at the moment, so I only get to use this fun band away from the home area. I'll be putting up my own remote base soon.
K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 21:00 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio for 902 MHz!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a GREAT radio for the amateur who wants to use the burgeoning 902 MHz FM band. They can be found used or near-new on auction sites for around $100. All that's needed is to program the radio with a database of your favorite 902 MHz amateur repeaters, with software that's widely-available for that purpose. This radio is solid, heavy, and built to last in a commercial application. Power output is about 2.5 watts, and the receiver is sensitive, requiring no radio modifications other that programming it with a database. The charger is called the KSC-24, and is very inexpensive to purchase, even new. A great, great radio!