Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TK-481 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TK-481
Kenwood TK-481 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 900 MHz Trunking handheld radio
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Land_Mobile_Radio/Trunking/TK-480-481

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TK-481.

W5CEM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Rugged 900 mhz HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
To update the previous reviews. The 481 is an easy, inexpensive way to get on 902 FM! No modifications needed...software at no cost, cable is less than $20. My 481 has been dropped, abused, left in the hot sun, in below freezing car, etc. and never missed a beat. I can change the programming in less than 5 min depending on where I am.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Easy access to 900 MHz  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would like to get on the 900 MHz ham band when I lived in So. NV; there were lots of 900 repeaters. I got a couple different mobile/base radios that did the job but I really wanted a handheld also. I don't remember who first showed me a TK-481, but I have to thank him when I remember. It is a solid, compact portable that can be programmed for use in the 900 MHz ham band with ease. No hardware mods are needed. It has a nice display, good TX and RX audio, quite sensitive, and you should be able to find the right arrangement of buttons to suit yourself (all buttons are function-programmable). Batteries, antennas and chargers are all still available, as this radio, unlike the rest of the TK-x80 series, is still in production. Alas, now I live in an area without 900 at the moment, so I only get to use this fun band away from the home area. I'll be putting up my own remote base soon.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 21:00 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio for 902 MHz!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a GREAT radio for the amateur who wants to use the burgeoning 902 MHz FM band. They can be found used or near-new on auction sites for around $100. All that's needed is to program the radio with a database of your favorite 902 MHz amateur repeaters, with software that's widely-available for that purpose. This radio is solid, heavy, and built to last in a commercial application. Power output is about 2.5 watts, and the receiver is sensitive, requiring no radio modifications other that programming it with a database. The charger is called the KSC-24, and is very inexpensive to purchase, even new. A great, great radio!