Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Hendricks SLT Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Hendricks SLT Tuner
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Hendricks' Switched Longwire Tuner Plus (SLT+) is a QRP long wire antenna tuner with built-in SWR indicator.
More info: http://www.qrpkits.com/sltplus.html

You can write your own review of the Hendricks SLT Tuner.

IZ4KBS Rating: 2/5 Feb 5, 2011 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Falls short  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have built a few other small kits from Hendricks, including the rather good BLT+ Tuner, and I'm always been pleased with them. With this one I'm not. The electrical design is a simple L-network, which is fine, and the components are also valued correctly. However, I have built other L-network tuners of my own design, and a lesson that I learned is that the output stray capacitance must be kept as low as possible, or the matching capabilities of the device may be significantly reduced. Which is exactly what happens with the SLT+. The output stray capacitance is way too high. Even after pulling the polyvaricon cap from the unit, and with all the switches in the "out" position, that capacitance is about 30 pF, while a good design would have no more than a few pF. An early version of this kit, which was named ALT (Altoids Longwire Tuner), use to deploy computer jumpers to switch the inductors in and out, instead of tiny slide-switches, and I believe that was a better idea, albeit possibly not as convenient to operate. In conclusion, I believe that the PCB should be redesigned for much less stray capacitance on output, because the way it is now makes the tuner unable to match most wire antennas I've tested it with, even when abiding by the recommended wire lengths.