Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver
QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: A simple 2 band regenerative radio kit capable of receiving signals from 3.5 to 11 mhz.
More info: http://qrpkits.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver.

KG6TGI Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Stable, Coil Construction Difficult  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this kit to compare a commercially designed kit performance to several regen kits I have built in the past. Once built and working the kit is very stable with no noticeable microphonics and no hand capacitance issues using the front panel controls. With that said I would consider this an advanced beginner kit as the coil form is too small to allow easy construction, there were two missing parts which I had to order, some of the parts require some modification or do fit correctly, while the instructions are very detailed there is no response to any questions from the contact on the website. Suggestions, use a 8 pin dip connector for the LM386 and make sure each part installed in the audio circuit is the correct value before installing. The current measurements for the standby current on the LM386 were 4 fold to high until I completed the entire build and then tested, this lead to much concern as the instructions continually say that a high standby current may indicate a problem. One thing I would have liked to see was additional coils construction and easy switching for lower and higher frequency ranges.

AE7UT Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2012 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit - Poor customer service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got this kit and it was missing parts and components. No response to E-mails. I resorted to ordering the parts myself.
Very fun build and works great. There are better kits from more reliable sources.

KE7RTV Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2012 20:50 Send this review to a friend
didn't work for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have heard nothing but local AM broadcasts.

WB2JNA Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2011 13:58 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a regen to use for fun and came upon this for sale through a ham website. After watching a youtube video of it in action I bought it and am not disappointed. It's a great and fun little radio that can be bought already built for under $50. It will pick up SW stations for all over the world and ham stations from plenty of DX locations. The fine tuning control really helps separate the stations for ease of listening. What a pleasant surprise. Given the limitations of a simple regen I think it's pretty impressive.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Fun kit, fun receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built this kit several months ago. The resulting receiver works well, provided you are willing to fiddle with the regen and frequency controls (which is the fun part). You can receive CW, SSB, and AM SW broadcasts.

The electronics part of the kit is pretty simple, although you do need to wind a coil on a PCB form--more of the fun, in my opinion.

The supplied chassis is unpainted aluminum with kind of a rough surface. To get a nice front panel using the supplied decal labels I used two or three coats of Krylon, applied the decals, then oversprayed with clear Krylon. It helps to have some decal solvent and one should carefully avoid air bubbles under the decals.

I am very satisfied with the preformance of this little receiver.

KC8SLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Cool kit!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had a blast building this kit! Hooked it up to my 20 mtr inverted vee the other day and heard Radio Bulgaria. Depending on conditions, I can always get Radio Havana, CRI and RTI at night with about 15 feet of wire taped to my ceiling running west with no gnd. Waiting to hook this up to a longer dipole or wire to see what this baby can do!!