Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver
QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: A simple 2 band regenerative radio kit capable of receiving signals from 3.5 to 11 mhz.
More info: http://qrpkits.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the QRPKITS Scout Regen Receiver.

YS1RS Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2016 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent little kit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked on the first run.
I wanted to try a regenerative receiver before I start building my next project: A WWII Spy Transceiver called Waddon MKVII Paraset, which is based on a regenerative receiver design.
Assembly instructions were OK for me and didn't run into problems since I had previous experience building kits from QRP KITS (recently changed name to Pacific Antenna - QRP Kits) like the PFR-3A QRP Transceiver, BLT Antenna Tuner, etc. All kit parts were received complete and works pretty well.
It behaves like a real Regenerative Receiver: It keeps you busy adjusting Regen and tuning and the way you adjust the controls varies between AM and SSB signals, strong overloading and weak signals, etc. exactly as a Regen should behave so no surprises.
The receiver is very sensitive and have no problems with microphonics if the instructions are followed: like using a little dot of hot glue on the coil to stop it from vibrating, etc.
I wished the instructions were a little more generous on Regenerative Receiver concepts but they are more oriented on building the kit.
Plenty of info on Regenerative Receivers is available on many sites on the Internet anyway.
This kit could be a little difficult to build for beginners (specially on building the coil) but the instructions will surely get you there and finish it so do not be afraid.
A note for beguinners: Hey, this is a Regenrative Radio Receiver. This is NOT a normal Superheterodyne. This means you have to adjust the controls all the time to get good results and THAT IS THE FUN OF REGENS. This is real radio from the 20's and 30's. Behaves and sounds like Granpa's radio did except that it uses only a battery. No dangerous high voltages as with original vacuum tubes with their warm and glowing magic.
Since it is very small, controls of course are very touchy. In this receiver you will hear the same things you will hear on your big modern receiver if you use the same antenna of course; but will be harder on selectivity. Off course you have no filters at all too.This is basic radio!
Once you understand how a Regenerative works and provide it with a good antenna, only then you will start enjoying it completely and will end up loving it.

73 es Rob
YS1RS

VE6TL Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2014 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Beginner Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first experience with a regen receiver and after playing with it for about an hour, I'm still not sure it is working properly. I did, however, manage to pick up WWV, some CW on 40m (which drifted a lot), and some SSB on 80m. I also picked up a local FM broadcast radio station on 101.5MHz. Tuning in stations took a lot of tweaking, but this is part of regen technology - so I'm told.

As for the kit, all parts were present and the manual left little to chance. The only minor difference was that my kit came with a 4.7uF capacitor instead of the 5uF they showed in the manual. The instructions were incredibly well done, especially for beginners, as they offered lots of advice and tips. I also liked all the little voltage and current checks along the way, to make sure things were correct. I had two 9V batteries for testing purposes, as one was a bit week (8V) and the other brand new (9.6V). The weak one gave current readings similar to what was in the manual, while the new battery gave more than double these values - until the end.
I did find the coil winding a bit challenging, but hot glue came to the rescue. Hot glue also helped to fix the coil to the PC board and eliminate microphonics. The other puzzle was that the instructions said to adjust the trimmers on the back of one of the variable capacitors so that they were completely unmeshed, but to leave the other alone. I had mistakenly unmeshed both of them, so was unsure if this was important.

The reason I didn't give a 5 is that the manual did not contain a detailed circuit description and tips on how to improve upon it. For example, if one wished to substitute a coil for different bands, how would you do it? My earphone cord seemed to interfere a bit with the signal, so would there be something to help prevent this? There was no mention of the "load" switch in the operation section, so perhaps a discussion on this and RF preamplifiers might have clarified the situation. One recommendation would be to include a section for those with a scope and a signal generator, to demonstrate sensitivity, selectivity, and calibration of frequencies. After all, this kit is primarily educational in purpose.

Overall, I was quite satisfied with the kit, as it took a couple evenings to complete, and I believe it worked on the first power-up.

KG6TGI Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Stable, Coil Construction Difficult  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this kit to compare a commercially designed kit performance to several regen kits I have built in the past. Once built and working the kit is very stable with no noticeable microphonics and no hand capacitance issues using the front panel controls. With that said I would consider this an advanced beginner kit as the coil form is too small to allow easy construction, there were two missing parts which I had to order, some of the parts require some modification or do fit correctly, while the instructions are very detailed there is no response to any questions from the contact on the website. Suggestions, use a 8 pin dip connector for the LM386 and make sure each part installed in the audio circuit is the correct value before installing. The current measurements for the standby current on the LM386 were 4 fold to high until I completed the entire build and then tested, this lead to much concern as the instructions continually say that a high standby current may indicate a problem. One thing I would have liked to see was additional coils construction and easy switching for lower and higher frequency ranges.

AE7UT Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2012 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit - Poor customer service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got this kit and it was missing parts and components. No response to E-mails. I resorted to ordering the parts myself.
Very fun build and works great. There are better kits from more reliable sources.

KE7RTV Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2012 20:50 Send this review to a friend
didn't work for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have heard nothing but local AM broadcasts.

WB2JNA Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2011 13:58 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a regen to use for fun and came upon this for sale through a ham website. After watching a youtube video of it in action I bought it and am not disappointed. It's a great and fun little radio that can be bought already built for under $50. It will pick up SW stations for all over the world and ham stations from plenty of DX locations. The fine tuning control really helps separate the stations for ease of listening. What a pleasant surprise. Given the limitations of a simple regen I think it's pretty impressive.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Fun kit, fun receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built this kit several months ago. The resulting receiver works well, provided you are willing to fiddle with the regen and frequency controls (which is the fun part). You can receive CW, SSB, and AM SW broadcasts.

The electronics part of the kit is pretty simple, although you do need to wind a coil on a PCB form--more of the fun, in my opinion.

The supplied chassis is unpainted aluminum with kind of a rough surface. To get a nice front panel using the supplied decal labels I used two or three coats of Krylon, applied the decals, then oversprayed with clear Krylon. It helps to have some decal solvent and one should carefully avoid air bubbles under the decals.

I am very satisfied with the preformance of this little receiver.

KC8SLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2011 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Cool kit!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had a blast building this kit! Hooked it up to my 20 mtr inverted vee the other day and heard Radio Bulgaria. Depending on conditions, I can always get Radio Havana, CRI and RTI at night with about 15 feet of wire taped to my ceiling running west with no gnd. Waiting to hook this up to a longer dipole or wire to see what this baby can do!!