Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ407C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ407C
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Deluxe Keyer
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/keyers/mfj407c.html

You can write your own review of the MFJ407C.

W6YDE Rating: 3/5 Nov 23, 2008 07:01 Send this review to a friend
It's okay, until I find somethng better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased it to use as a stand alone keyer. I am not having any problems with the speed control as stated by other reviews. My problem is with the tone. The tone has a very sick sound to it. The tone is not clear and sharp, it sounds kind of like a buzzing sound.

When operating on the internal 9 volt battery, the operating settings are a little differant, along with the side tone. The dashes are of a lower tone that the dits.

A rating of 2.5 is a more accuate number for this keyer. If I had read the eham reviews before I purchased it, I would have NOT!

GL Mike/W6YDE

AB0ZN Rating: 2/5 Apr 7, 2007 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Mighty fine junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my new 407D model of the deluxe electronic keyer. I opened it up to set the speed range to the low side and lo and behold, there was no jumper in the jumper no.9 spot. In fact, there was no pins for a jumper in the jumper no. 9 spot. Two e-mails and two phone calls later to mfj, I got a keyer service technician. I asked him if this was a new improved model or a manufacturing error. He told me, no, that there was supposed to be a jumper there. All he wanted to know was the initials on the inspection sticker on the bottom of the case. I at least expected him to suggest sending it to them for repair. No such luck. Oh well, for the price of shipping I just soldered a piece of wire for a jumper. Never again, not ever, MFJ. I dont know how they stay in business. Oh well, enough griping. thanks.

KB1NSB Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2007 17:42 Send this review to a friend
NICE BASIC KEYER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using mine for a while now, and its been working fine. Yes the speed control is a bit touchy, but I have no trouble setting it to the speeds I use in the range of 15 to 25 wpm. All other controls work fine. I also like the fact that it can be operated from a 9volt battery, which will come in handy when being used for portable operation. It has your basic square wave tone to it , but I can live with that. So if your looking for a basic keyer without all the memory stuff, then this is a nice rig at an affordable price

W3DCG Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2002 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Mine is good.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is on the 407, mine does not say C. It's the one in the older nicer cabinet, egg shell white front face, simulated wood grain sides.

For 40 bucks I'm happy with it.

Yes, the speed is touchy especially from 25wpm and up. However, I do find the poteniometer linearity suitable for 25 wpm on down.

In all other respects it's a lovely keyer for the price if you can find one in excellent shape [a stretch perhaps].

If not for the sensitive Speed control I'd give it a 5. But not lower than a 4. As keyers go, it IS a GOOD keyer.

Obviously if you zip along at 25-45 wpm ear/head copy, not via computer and keyboard, this keyer is probably not for you- probably be much happier saving up for a K-3, with the resistor added to reduce the NON ADJUSTABLE monitor volume.

N7QF Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2000 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Poor speed xtrol too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too have the same problem with the speed xtrol, however in the lower range
between 10 and 20 wpm. I've used different supply voltages with no help.
Maybe MFJ needs to help us out with a retro-fix.
Otherwise it's a nice keyer.
John N7QF

SM3LGO Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2000 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Too sensitive speedcontrol  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 407C works well if you always stay below 20WPM. From this point,
and up, speed adjustment requires surgical precision. It is almost undoable
to adjust speed from say, 20-25WPM in mid-qso---just touching the knob
will immediately bring you closer to 40WPM... If the high-sensitivity range
had been lower or higher, I could live with it, but I don't think I am not alone
to feel "at home" around 20WPM... I've managed to get it a little better by
fiddling with internal components, but I feel you shouldn't have to do so.

In all other aspects, the keyer is good and would get a "4.5".