Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner
Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $529
Description: BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY
We have decided to discontinue the AT1500DT and the AT1KP differential tuner series. The AT1500DT and the AT1KP have been combined into a new 2kW Tuner...

AT2KD!

Selling price will be $529. An optional 1:1 or 4:1 current balanced balun priced at $49.95 can also be purchased, which can be easily connected externally to the tuner with a short length of COAX.

This new tuner has all our features, such as: peak and peak-hold; a resonant free roller system to operate from 6m to 160m continuously; new LED lit meter system; and a new compact size.

Production available immediately!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at2kd.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner.

N4DJT Rating: 1/5 Sep 6, 2017 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Over-Hyped POS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I do not understand how this thing rates 5 star reviews. maybe I got one put together on a friday at 4:30pm?
1. Lets start with the the fact that this thing will not tune my fan dipole on 15 meters. yeah i get it..tuning a harmonic there.. but my INTERNAL tuner handles that with zero problems.

2. Next on the list. the Watt meter is off by 10-15% compared to my calibrated bird! on the 300 watt scale.

3. The roller inductor has a dead spot at around 282 on the counter - no where near the full travel.

4. The Antenna switch for coax position 2 is intermittent - I have to wiggle it to make full contact.

This thing was ordered BRAND NEW!
this POS has been nothing but a headache. Did Palstar outsource this model to MFJ? for the money this thing costs and rave reviews I expected better quality.

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Gotta luv it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second PalStar differential tuner. Sold the first and went to an auto tuner (not a PalStar). Big mistake for many reasons. After a year, I bought the AT2KD and sold the auto tuner. Life is so much better with the AT2KD - no noise while tuning, no tuning interruptions while talking, very broad-banded, excellent build quality, and accurate resetability. I have had many tuners over the years (over 50 years on the air) and this is the best I have owned.

G4VGO Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2017 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The AT2KD is my second Palstar antenna matching unit and all I can say is they do exactly what they advertise. Full legal limit on 160, no problem. Full legal limit on 80, no problem. Full legal limit RTTY on 40 meters, no problem. What more can I say. MFJunk is a poor second, a bottom feeder. Don't hesitate, buy an AT2KD and you will never need another tuner! 73 de Bob KH6KG/G4VGO

KW4RP Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Palstar hit this one out of the park!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Palstar AT2KD is the only tuner I have had wonderful results with! I've used Ameritron, MFJ and LDG Tuners, and had nothing but issues with them right out of the box! This Tuner can match my 43 FT Vertical from 160 - 6 meters with a 1:0 OR 1:1 without any reflective power whatsoever! Even when I put the juice to it the SWRs continue to stay low as well. You only use two controls to tune up,and it's so easy and quick! Best damn piece of equipment I ever owned.

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2016 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My tuner burned out the band switch at 1300 watts into a 2:1 VSWR on 17 meters with a 100% CW signal. One ball of carbon was what the switch looked like.

Good news is Palstar repaired it right away and put in a ceramic wafer switch which is supposed to handle 50% more current. Turn around was less than three working days. The original manual states on the last page that do not run over 1000 watts CW into the unit. It was my understanding from ads this was a legal limit tuner. Not quite.
So I have modified my operation to du tuning with only a KW and run legal limit power on CW and SSB only.

Paul also stated that the coil might get warm under those high power situations. I would like to see the units capable of 2500 watts CW into a 3:1 VSWR. Of course it will cost more but the reserve would be nice.

All in all they gave good service and that counts for a lot.

K4DZQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Smooth and Repeatable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Replaced a MFJ-962D that I had for a few years. It gave me honorable service, but didn't satisfy my desire for a precision tuner. This Palstar AT2KD is smooth to operate and allows me to dial up the settings (numbers) for each band and each antenna. It is a little expensive, but it is a quality piece of equipment that is worth the investment. I am totally satisfied with this manual tuner and I could not wish for anything more.

WB9OTX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Smooth as silk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Palstar AT2KD
Owned two weeks.
I had the Palstar AT4 but it was so big it would not fit on my desk. I traded for a AT2KD and although lower in power handling capability and lower in price I feel the AT2KD is a wiser choice for me. I can run the full legal limit but 1KW surly is enough. I think it would be safe to push 1500 watts but I have never ran more than 1000 into it. I have tuned every antenna I have and even 17, 6, and 160 on antennas that are not for these bands. Make a tuning chart then dial in the numbers at low power for a 1 to 1 match then increase the power and sharpen the tuning slightly for a perfect 1 to 1. This tuner is so fast and smooth you wont believe it. I have had several tuners in the last 45 years such as Drake, MFJ, and Ten Tec but never a great one like this one. I did make a watt meter adjustment as the reading was about 15 watts low. A simple turn of the low power pot and now it reads correct. It is pricey but you certainly get what you pay for and I love its made in the USA. I give it a 5 of 5 and I will never need to buy another. Get one ! Jack WB9OTX

K3UG Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2015 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Extremely pleased   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In 50+ years of being licensed, I've never owned an outboard tuner. Never needed one.

A recent move to a large lot with lots of trees presented an opportunity to string up a full wave 160m loop.

I used the loop and 4:1 balun with the internal tuner in my
IC-756 PRO3 with reasonable results.

I purchased the AT2KD about a week ago, and my results are spectacular. This tuner has made the loop come alive. It receives better, radiates better, and I'm very pleased.

If you're considering purchasing this unit, don't hesitate.

N4QNT Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2014 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Works as Advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So my experience with this tuner is a success.. First lets mention the antenna. An homemade 135FT flat top center fed doublet with 600 ohm ladder line about 45FT high. The ladder line feeds down to an DX Engieering 4:1 Balun on the side of my outside wall then a 12 foot run of 9913 coax to the back of the tuner. I'm able to tune 6 and 10 meters to almost 1.1... Here on my settings, of course we know it's a compromise on 160M with a short antenna.

6M, 50.200 T-85 I-270
80M, 3.843 T-65 I-201 ... 3.940 T-62 I-206
160M, 1.925 T-51 I-079

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2014 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Works very nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this used AT2KD for a spare as I needed to do some service work to my 5 year old AT-Auto that I use on my 140' non-resonant ladder line fed dipole. Well, the work went well, the AT-Auto is back in business, but I liked the ease of retuning with the AT2KD's single differential capacitor so well I put it on the 240' non resonant dipole and the AT2K that I have used for 2 years on that antenna has become the spare. Don't get me wrong, the AT2K is a great tuner, but the AT2KD is easier to use, at least with my antennas. I use it from 160-10 meters so I can't comment on it's six meter capabilities. I have the antenna system configured with an external 4:1 5kw rated balun on the outside wall with a 5 foot run of LMR400 to the AT2KD. It handles full legal limit output just fine with no issues so far.