Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner
Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $529
Description: BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY
We have decided to discontinue the AT1500DT and the AT1KP differential tuner series. The AT1500DT and the AT1KP have been combined into a new 2kW Tuner...

AT2KD!

Selling price will be $529. An optional 1:1 or 4:1 current balanced balun priced at $49.95 can also be purchased, which can be easily connected externally to the tuner with a short length of COAX.

This new tuner has all our features, such as: peak and peak-hold; a resonant free roller system to operate from 6m to 160m continuously; new LED lit meter system; and a new compact size.

Production available immediately!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at2kd.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner.

N4QNT Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2014 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Works as Advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So my experience with this tuner is a success.. First lets mention the antenna. An homemade 135FT flat top center fed doublet with 600 ohm ladder line about 45FT high. The ladder line feeds down to an DX Engieering 4:1 Balun on the side of my outside wall then a 12 foot run of 9913 coax to the back of the tuner. I'm able to tune 6 and 10 meters to almost 1.1... Here on my settings, of course we know it's a compromise on 160M with a short antenna.

6M, 50.200 T-85 I-270
80M, 3.843 T-65 I-201 ... 3.940 T-62 I-206
160M, 1.925 T-51 I-079

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2014 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Works very nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this used AT2KD for a spare as I needed to do some service work to my 5 year old AT-Auto that I use on my 140' non-resonant ladder line fed dipole. Well, the work went well, the AT-Auto is back in business, but I liked the ease of retuning with the AT2KD's single differential capacitor so well I put it on the 240' non resonant dipole and the AT2K that I have used for 2 years on that antenna has become the spare. Don't get me wrong, the AT2K is a great tuner, but the AT2KD is easier to use, at least with my antennas. I use it from 160-10 meters so I can't comment on it's six meter capabilities. I have the antenna system configured with an external 4:1 5kw rated balun on the outside wall with a 5 foot run of LMR400 to the AT2KD. It handles full legal limit output just fine with no issues so far.

KD2ACO Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2014 07:59 Send this review to a friend
well built, quick QSY  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last year, I put together an SB-200 and needed to upgrade my MFJ-969 (which worked flawlessly for years but wouldn't handle the extra power). This Palstar tuner works very well for my needs. I have heard from others that if you have difficult antennas or work 6 meters, you may want the non-differential version (AT2K) because with the capacitors independently adjustable, they can tune up more difficult loads. For my shack and the bands I run, this tuner is excellent.

KC5ONZ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased used from the original owner. I highly suggest this getting this if looking for a manual tuner. Easy to use on my 80 & 40 meter dipoles. This tuner is not the best on 6 meter band, but I have been able to tune to about 1.3:1 SWR. Everything else tunes to 1:1 SWR with no problem.

WD8U Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Tunner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I briefly had a AT1500DT,It was a very nice tuner. But I now have a AT2KD and like it very much. With its increased power ratting it handles the full output of my SB-220 with out any problems. It tunes my 6 band 6BTV vertical and also my C.windom with ease. I can now use my 106' C.windom on 160 mtrs...wow!
This differential tuner is the way to go with only 2 knobs its so fast to tune.(If you have not tried one, you need to take a close look at them)Iv been a ham for over 50 years and I will say this is a fine quality product that does the job.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2014 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Never any problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Acquired the AT2KD about 2-years ago; sold my MFJ-986 (15-years old) to my friend).

This tuner works great/never any problems. I always keep my power below 100-watts, mostly operate digital & CW-modes.

Been licensed over 40-years.

Ken KC8Y

K2VI Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2014 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Very dissapointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sold my at1500dt to get a new and upgraded AT2KD. What a mistake. My old at1500 could tune 10 meters on my All band doublet , the at2kd could only tune down to 1.9:1. So I can not run an amp on 10 meters with this tuner. Also the numbers on the capacitor front panel are microscopic, not so with the 1500DT.Palstar downgraded from the 1500dt to the AT2KD.The 1500 series is bigger , more stout and has a wider range. I now need a magnifying glass to re-tune which I now have to do every time I go up or down as little as 50kc. So the Q on this tuner is very poor and has considerable loss. I have my old workhorse ameritron atr-30 I owned for 12 years and purchased used.If I tune the atr-30 for a flat swr on 3650 and go up the 3850 the swr would go up to 2.5:1. On the AT2KD it would read 4.8:1 Never had an issue and the tuning range is far superior to the palstar tuners.The only thing the palstar has over the ameritron is the smoothness of the inductor. Very smooth however never had an issue with the atr-30 just not as smooth. And last but not least is when I called to speak to paul about these issues he was silent and had no answers. He suggested I return the tuner and said have a nice day and hung up. What a gentleman. I feel palstar tuners are not as good as many think, and way overpriced. If you had the opportunity to operate an atr-30 or a ten-tec 238 tuner you would see the palstar falls short on performance.Palstar tuners have considerable loss, narrow tuning range are well built and have a smooth inductor. What really turned me off is getting the caviler attitude and being blown off by paul. The tuner gets a 2 rating and customer service gets a 0 for an average of 1. Be aware of the shortcomings of palstar tuners before peeling off 540.00.

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2014 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the 2kd today, I was on the fence about getting a auto tuner but instead bought a two control tuner for faster qsying. This tuner is smooth, controls are easy to repeat and has excellent bandwidth once tuned and that takes only a few seconds to do. Very well built and all the controls are positive with a very clean look inside and out plus the watt/SWR meter seem very good as well. The price is on the hi side but the quality is worth every dollar. Great Job Palstar!

N8ZSG Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 19:50 Send this review to a friend
new user, impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
had seen reviews of this unit on eHam in the past and was at local hamfest today. I seen this for sale and stopped to check it out. Walked around for a short time thinking about it and went back and bought it. Best ham purchase I have ever made! Came home hooked it up and tuned all HF bands in a matter of minutes! Smoothest operating tuner I have ever had.

N0DSQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Back to basics  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got sick of the electronic tuners and flimsy manual tuners,so, I bought a AT2KD, quality, reliable and ease makes it a keeper in my book.