Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner
Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $529
We have decided to discontinue the AT1500DT and the AT1KP differential tuner series. The AT1500DT and the AT1KP have been combined into a new 2kW Tuner...

Selling price will be $529. An optional 1:1 or 4:1 current balanced balun priced at $49.95 can also be purchased, which can be easily connected externally to the tuner with a short length of COAX.

This new tuner has all our features, such as: peak and peak-hold; a resonant free roller system to operate from 6m to 160m continuously; new LED lit meter system; and a new compact size.

Production available immediately!

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner.

K2VI Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2014 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Very dissapointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sold my at1500dt to get a new and upgraded AT2KD. What a mistake. My old at1500 could tune 10 meters on my All band doublet , the at2kd could only tune down to 1.9:1. So I can not run an amp on 10 meters with this tuner. Also the numbers on the capacitor front panel are microscopic, not so with the 1500DT.Palstar downgraded from the 1500dt to the AT2KD.The 1500 series is bigger , more stout and has a wider range. I now need a magnifying glass to re-tune which I now have to do every time I go up or down as little as 50kc. So the Q on this tuner is very poor and has considerable loss. I have my old workhorse ameritron atr-30 I owned for 12 years and purchased used.If I tune the atr-30 for a flat swr on 3650 and go up the 3850 the swr would go up to 2.5:1. On the AT2KD it would read 4.8:1 Never had an issue and the tuning range is far superior to the palstar tuners.The only thing the palstar has over the ameritron is the smoothness of the inductor. Very smooth however never had an issue with the atr-30 just not as smooth. And last but not least is when I called to speak to paul about these issues he was silent and had no answers. He suggested I return the tuner and said have a nice day and hung up. What a gentleman. I feel palstar tuners are not as good as many think, and way overpriced. If you had the opportunity to operate an atr-30 or a ten-tec 238 tuner you would see the palstar falls short on performance.Palstar tuners have considerable loss, narrow tuning range are well built and have a smooth inductor. What really turned me off is getting the caviler attitude and being blown off by paul. The tuner gets a 2 rating and customer service gets a 0 for an average of 1. Be aware of the shortcomings of palstar tuners before peeling off 540.00.
KE2TR Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2014 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the 2kd today, I was on the fence about getting a auto tuner but instead bought a two control tuner for faster qsying. This tuner is smooth, controls are easy to repeat and has excellent bandwidth once tuned and that takes only a few seconds to do. Very well built and all the controls are positive with a very clean look inside and out plus the watt/SWR meter seem very good as well. The price is on the hi side but the quality is worth every dollar. Great Job Palstar!
N8ZSG Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 19:50 Send this review to a friend
new user, impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
had seen reviews of this unit on eHam in the past and was at local hamfest today. I seen this for sale and stopped to check it out. Walked around for a short time thinking about it and went back and bought it. Best ham purchase I have ever made! Came home hooked it up and tuned all HF bands in a matter of minutes! Smoothest operating tuner I have ever had.
N0DSQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Back to basics  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got sick of the electronic tuners and flimsy manual tuners,so, I bought a AT2KD, quality, reliable and ease makes it a keeper in my book.

WD4BTX Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2013 06:28 Send this review to a friend
misleading  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ad is misleading about tuning 6 meters. I bought the meter strickly to tune my 6 meter radio with my amplifier and found out that it will not tune my swr down flat. 1.8 is the lowest I could get the swr. I have another AT2KD tuner that I use on 160 to 10 meters and it will tune all these bands down to a 1.1 swr. Also was told that on 6 meters it should only take 500 watts instead of 2000. The ad says 160 to 6 meters at 2000 pep. Sorry I was expecting 160 to 6 meter to do same swr coverage.
Otherwise I like my Palstar equipment, some of the best.
K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the tuner today. I'm using a 120 ft end fed long wire. I went to the center of phone band and was able to easily get a 1:1 SWR from 160 to 10. So much nicer to use than my MFJ 949d. Nothing against the 949. It gets the job done. The Palstar is just in a different class and also cost twice as much. The recommended setting were pretty accurate. Only took a few seconds to tweak each band. Great build quality. I get the feeling you can tune anything with his tuner. Very happy.
W0AY Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2013 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality, could stand a tweak.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
1. I operate with less than 20 watts. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able adjust for minimum vswr using the built in 300 watt full scale meter. That isn't a problem due to the log scale the meter uses.

2. I find that the higher bands, 6M 10M 12M all use the high end of the turns counter and consequently only small portion of the rotary inductor. This doesn't prevent tuning to an excellent match. I think I would prefer the extra switch positions similar to the L network tentec tuner (238C)

3. I'm going to mount an LED inside to illuminate the turns counter. I need a flash light to dial in my presets in my dimly lighted shack. Excellent repeatability however. Make up a chart and dial in your settings and you are good to go.

Over all, I'm very happy with the tuner.
K7RVX Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2013 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Superb Performance and Quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the best antenna tuner I have ever owned. It tunes up my horizontal loop from 80 through 10 meters every time without a hitch, and I can usually get the job done in a second or two. All settings are repeatable and reliable. Glad I didn't waste my money on an autotuner.
W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The key word with this tuner is QUALITY. As others have said in earlier reviews, this device is built like a tank

The digital readout on the inductor is precise and the settings are repeatable. The crank turns smoothly and it gets you where you need to go quickly.

I have used this tuner on all bands from 160 to 6 and have always been able to get a perfect match.

I am REALLY pleased with this unit - it's worth the extra money. You will be proud to have one of these in your shack.

Highly Recommended!
WN4E Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Smooth   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got mine in this week as a replacement for a MFJ989D. Let me tell you, there is NO comparison, this tuner is smooth and dials right in.With the other mentioned tuner I was afraid to put my HF2500 on the air. Now, no worries, Carolina 10-80 Windom only requires a minor touch up and wheather running 100w or 1500w tuner is rock solid. I don't ever see not having one....Love It...Recommend it 100%