Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR 751A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR 751A
Kenwood TR 751A Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $225-350 used TU7 45+
Description: 2 Meter All Mode Transceiver. 25 Watts RF Output.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hammulti/tr751a.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR 751A.

G7TOK Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Unrivalled  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best performing 2m multimode bar none.
I have personally compared this transceiver to an FT-221R with Mutek, an FT-225RD with Mutek, and a stock Icom IC-275H and Yaesu FT-736R.
It is consistently able to resolve weak signals, show immunity to strong in-band and out-of band interference and demonstrate a receive unencumbered by synthesizer products or poor receiver design.

Barring the known issue with the dual-concentric vol/sq controls, it is solidly built, has no noisy cooling fans and has a clean output signal perfect for driving amplifiers.
As an indication of its ability, it even performs better than the radio made to replace it, the TM-255E.

It's a sad indictment of Kenwoods attitude that no more spares are being made for the vol/sq control, how many of these wonderful radios must now be resigned to the scrap pile or languishing unused because of this ?

WA4JWU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2009 19:24 Send this review to a friend
help  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been a great rig. As long as I can keep it going it will remain on the air. However I need help in locating an on/off/volume/squelch switch board.

rverble@cfl.rr.com

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Best all mode 2M ever, IMHO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am on my second one, and my only regret is having sold the first one, that I bought brand new, around 1989, or so. Super hot receive, great transmit audio, easy to use and a real workhorse, of a radio. It really shines as a base, with an MC-60 and a good beam. It's stock 25 watts, gets me into QSO's of greater than 200 miles, EASILY. I may not have any signal showing on the other end, but I am heard, quite well. When I drive my TE Systems 1452G with it, it REALLY SHINES. I do not need the receive preamp on the TE (which is a dandy of a preamp), as I never have any trouble pulling out the weakest of signals. This is one fine older radio, that IF you can find one for under $250, consider yourself LUCKY, and grab it up, without hesitation. They are getting scarce as hen's teeth, and the price keeps climbing.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2008 12:58 Send this review to a friend
HOT RECEIVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well this review is from a DIE HARD "ICOM" man.I owned one of these rigs about 12 years ago & let it go.Between then & now I owned an ICOM 275H, ICOM 706,ICOM 706 MII,Yaesu 857D,ICOM 746,& an ICOM 746 PRO.NONE of them have the ears this rig has so I just(June 2008)bought another KENWOOD 751A with ALL the original package,mike,manual, tone board, mounting bracket & box.This is by far the SWEETEST receiver I have EVER heard on a 2 meter radio of ANY brand.It is also the ONLY rig I own that's NOT an ICOM.Says something about the rig I think.I wish ICOM had made a 2 meter all mode that heard this good but I never operated one so I'll keep this little baby for a LONG TIME!I love 2 meter SSB(weak signal)operations & this is the PERFECT answer for hearing what other rigs will not.I worked my most distant 2 meter contact using my first 751A from Florida(EM80)to Colorado(DM79)on 2 meter SSB & that's a LONG WAY on 2 meters in any mode. Pick you up one of these & you'll be glad you did. }:>)

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2008 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Getting ready for fun...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all my review is based on the majority of the others posted here and from what I have read about the radio. I recently attended my first ham fest of the year and on my first "recon" mission around the arena I spotted a mint TR751A. The owner was asking $225 CDN. The mic was at home but he said he would mail it to me. I countered with $200. He accepted. I asked him to hold it for me as I wanted to do more browsing. When I got back to table I asked if he would accept $170 without the mic. Finally he agreed. So I now have the rig in the shack (see QRZ.com) new coax is strung and a KU4AB loop is on the way. I have worked the local repeaters on FM and the audio is fantastic. It compliments my TS850 nicely and at some point I will add a 100 watt amp for SSB.

YD3TKM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2008 01:36 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got a used one from friend. Only 900.000 IDR, or approx. 90 USD. Nice looking, sensitive and selective.

Will keep this on my ham shack. You won't be disappoint either. Try it !

WF6J Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2007 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Hot Receiver, great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a couple of these and now just have one (mint). The "ears" on this transceiver are probably the best I've encountered versus all my other receiving set-ups for 144.

The rig goes from "monitoring" 144.200 at the shack to mobile or portable work. Use it every year as Swap talk-in radio on FM and USB.

Audio reports are always fine. CW tone is always fine. It stays clean when driving high power amps, so this can be a great station unit. Would I buy another? YES, Would I sell this one? NO

These are "keeper" rigs. If you do FM, be sure you get a tone board with yours. Great USB Rover unit also. My other rig on 2? the TS-2000X

K5III Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2007 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Another Kenwood Tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one on eBay about two years ago from a ham in Spokane, Washington. Even then, at $200, I thought I had a bargain since many other 2M all modes were more expensive. I have used it many times and happy with it. Great audio and signal reports. It's a keeper.

PT9KK Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2006 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Good radio....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my TR751A, on Ebay, about two months ago. It is in very nice condition with a minor scratch on the top cover. I also have a FT290RII for about 10 years and the second won't perform as good as the Kenwood. The only one thing that bothers me is the frequency drift on SSB. It will take sometime before it stops but other than that it has a hot receiver and great TX audio if you use another microphone.

KD8BC Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2006 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned at least 6 of these Radios since the Introduction in 1986 ! Even today I would Compare the sensitivity on Receive to anything out there . Kenwood was the first to Introduce a Gas Fet into the front end of the receiver . Also the Noise Blanker is very useful with line noise .
There are two Issues that pop-up on older radios. First the Volumne-Squelch Pot will get Noisy and after a while completely quit !Also my RF Gain Control-RIT pot on my oldest unit stopped working . Both these parts are available from East Coast for about $15 each . Very Tedious work to take the front cover apart and solder the new components in !
I have been a 2M-SSB contester since the early 1980's and will put this radio up against anything out there for 2 meter SSB ! I have Never had a Output Module failure in the 751 ! This was a major Problem in the earlier TR-9130 !
It's a shame Kenwood stopped making this the TR-751A series ?

Sam Maze Kd8bc-EM99-WV always Listening on 144.200
Just bought another one for future back-up !