Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GRE PSR-800 Help

Reviews Summary for GRE PSR-800
GRE PSR-800 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $$499
Description: EZ-SCAN DIGITAL. Latest GRE Scanner with complete USA & Canada Radio Reference database stored on SD card. Simple to program from music player style interface. Scanner firmware can be updated from SD card.
More info: http://www.greamerica.com/PSR-800.html

You can write your own review of the GRE PSR-800.

WZ2P Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2016 16:04 Send this review to a friend
PRO-668  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was lucky and found one of these for $150.00 from a Radio Shack closing. I've been a scanner user for over 30 years. This is by far the easiest scanner to work with that I've used. Put in your zip code or whatever area zip code you wish to monitor, pick the services which are clearly labeled including Ham Radio and using the Radio Reference database your channels are populated! Connection to a PC couldn't be easier via mini USB plug. Uses standard Cellphone 5VDC charger if you're using rechargeable batteries. I asked a friend of mine to connect it to a service monitor from his 2-way radio shop. He thought the sensitivity in all areas was very much in line with wide band receivers. No complaints here

KK2DOG Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2015 22:41 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have Radio Shack's version, the PRO 668. This scanner can be the most frustrating or simple scanner that you have ever used...I chose the latter. Using the included Radio Shack software which connects to http://www.radioreference.com/
I was able to program the unit via my Zip Code or County. I chose County programming because some transmitters might actually be OUTSIDE of my city, in case that matters. The PRO 668 also does both APCO P-25 phase 1 and 2. After having MANY scanners in the last 30 years, this is my favorite. Here's peek at what it'll do:

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 21:48 Send this review to a friend
It is also the Radio Shack pro 668  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had a few Radio Shack scanners in my life and have found that they are some very good scanners. I've also owned Uniden scanners and they are also some good scanners. I have found that the Radio Shack scanners are my preference. They just sound better and seem to receive better than the Uniden scanners to me.

The PSR-800 is the same scanner as the Radio Shack pro 668. Whistler is now making them after the GRE factory was temporarily shut down. Whistler bought the rights to the GRE scanners and now are manufacturing them.

Now that Radio Shack is in receivership, their are some great deals on these scanners. They originally sold for $499 and I have seen them as low as $150 used. Some folks are afraid that since Radio Shack has gone bankrupt, the support for the scanner will be gone. I have done a bit of research on this and found that fear to be not an issue. There is updates available on RadioReference dot com for the library and there are updates to firmware available online and will be so for the future until technology changes again.

The Radio Shack Pro 668 is an easy scanner to program, but it does require a re-think of how to set up a scanner. The best way to program it is to get a card reader, download the library from Radio Reference dot com to your desktop or laptop, modify the files to your liking and then burn it to the micro SSD card. Then install the Micro SSD card in the scanner and then the scanner will update. The Radio Shack Pro 668 scanner software is on the Mini SSD card that is in the scanner. To access this card, it is located on the left side under the batter cover. Remove the battery cover and as you are looking at the scanner from the back, the mini SSD card will be on the left side. Push on the card with your fingernail and it will pop out. To re-install, follow the pictorial for how it goes in. Very easy.

It is best to use your computer as a place to modify the library for the scanner as it is way faster. I also recommend using a card reader as the scanner makes for very very slow downloading of libraries and making changes.

The Radio Shack Pro 668 and GRE 800 scanners are APCO 25 and APCO25 II capable, which is important as APCO25 II is going to be accepted by more cities as they update their radio systems.

When programming this scanner, just remember to download the files to your computer, then modify them for things like what departments you want to hear, LED and sound alerts. Burn to the Micro SSD card in a separate card reader /writer and then install the Micro SSD card in your scanner and the scanner will update to the new files. Easy enough but no one has this on the internet or in the instruction book. Learning the software will take a little time but once learned, it will be very easy. Just remember that you should also use the lower menu on the bottom to access the different downloads for modifications.

I recommend the Radio Shack 800 MHZ rubber duck instead of the factory duck. Way better reception. The 800 mhz ducks are available right now 4/10/15 as a great deal with often times 25% off. I paid $14 for mine.

I also recommend using as a base scanner, an outdoor antenna like the DPD Omni X scanner antenna. That antenna has really opened up my scanner experience with a range of almost 70 miles. APCO25 and APCO 25 II from far away now come in very clear instead of choppy. The discone antennas that most people think are great are really not if you do a side by side comparison to the Omni X.

I also recommend PowerX rechargeable AA batteries for this scanner. They seem to be very long lived.

Because of the Radio Shack bankruptcy, the prices of these scanner have fallen because of the fear that there will be no support. That fear I have discovered is unfounded.
If you can find a good deal for under $200, I would recommend getting it. They will be going up in price as people realize that this scanner is an incredible deal.

To summarize, the GRE PSR-800 aka the Radio Shack Pro 668 is a very capable scanner for portable or base scanning. With the right antenna and learning the software, this scanner at current prices cannot be beat.

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2015 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely love this scanner. Got is used from a friend that bought the Whistler WS-1080. I do not have to remember quick keys or other stuff ... it just works and works very well at what it does. I love the recording features. I use it 24/7 to keep up with the local happenings. I am waiting for the Whistler WS-1095, really the mobile version of this scanner. It will be I am sure a winner too.

KC0QBV Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2014 13:12 Send this review to a friend
4 years and still going*  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall, I really like this scanner. I downgrade it a star because software has some odd ways of handling things and I would have preferred more buttons to reduce the number of times I have to scroll through menus.

That said, I've had mine for about 4 years and it has kept pace with the local transition to P25 just fine.

I have had a couple of issues, but both were resolved fairly well.

1. My serial number is a low 4000 range. I had the face plate issue everyone else had. GRE, when they were still in business, offered to repair it for free. However, it was never that big of an issue, so I never sent it in. I did eventually remove the film with nail polish and q-tips. Worked great and now I have a nice shiny faceplate.

2. After about 3 years or so, the scanner completely bricked as I was trying to update it. Maybe I did something, maybe not. Anyhow, I sent it to an independent repair facility in NY state. He fixed it, cleaned it up, upgraded the firmware and shipped it back to me for under $60. I couldn't be happier.

Yes, it is ugly. Yes, it has some quirks. But it does an excellent job scanning in my area, especially on the P25 systems.

NW7OR Rating: 0/5 Apr 25, 2014 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Front-end sensitivity completely dead.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great features, until the front-end went completely dead after about 1 1/2 years. It's likely due to taking the unit in my vehicle, while not shutting it off every time I used my 2-meter rig, at only 10 watts, even though I always unplugged the antenna from the unit when transmitting on 2-meters. A very costly lesson learned. At least I didn't pay what lots of folks paid for theirs....I can live with that. Anyone want to buy accessories?

K1BOB Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2014 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Out of Business No Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked OK for just over a year than the audio went dead. No recourse with defunct company. A lot of money for such a short life span.

SNJCT2000 Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2013 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Best there is!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hands down the BEST scanner on the market to date. I've had them all...Uniden, PRO-106, etc.
This one outshines them all. Great sensitivity but most importantly, it tracks 800mhz trunking systems properly (unlike the Unidens).
The I-pod menu system is easy to get use to and works great. Those that don't like the I-pod menu driven set up are set in the 1980's style of scanner or have fat fingers.

W9KDX Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2013 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Overly Complex  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This baby took a good week to figure out. It does a good job of giving you every option possible, but their system of scan sets and such never seems to work as one would expect.

Additionally, this thing sucks batteries dry in 1-3 days, and, of course, the faceplate is defective right from the factory. Really a mistake for top-of-the-line.

Where I was, multipath was just too much to bear, so I sold it. I would only suggest this unit for someone who already knows what they want and is CERTAIN that multipath will not be a problem in their area.

KB8ESV Rating: 3/5 Mar 20, 2013 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Battery issues were my main concerns. Several times my high-capacity NiMHs were dead when I powered up the scanner. Using the same antenna for both units, my Bearcat 346XT outperformed the 800 on Trunked traffic about 18 miles away. I sold it and recycled the money.