Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GRE PSR-800 Help

Reviews Summary for GRE PSR-800
GRE PSR-800 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $$499
Description: EZ-SCAN DIGITAL. Latest GRE Scanner with complete USA & Canada Radio Reference database stored on SD card. Simple to program from music player style interface. Scanner firmware can be updated from SD card.
More info: http://www.greamerica.com/PSR-800.html

You can write your own review of the GRE PSR-800.

NW7OR Rating: 0/5 Apr 25, 2014 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Front-end sensitivity completely dead.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great features, until the front-end went completely dead after about 1 1/2 years. It's likely due to taking the unit in my vehicle, while not shutting it off every time I used my 2-meter rig, at only 10 watts, even though I always unplugged the antenna from the unit when transmitting on 2-meters. A very costly lesson learned. At least I didn't pay what lots of folks paid for theirs....I can live with that. Anyone want to buy accessories?

K1BOB Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2014 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Out of Business No Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked OK for just over a year than the audio went dead. No recourse with defunct company. A lot of money for such a short life span.

SNJCT2000 Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2013 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Best there is!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hands down the BEST scanner on the market to date. I've had them all...Uniden, PRO-106, etc.
This one outshines them all. Great sensitivity but most importantly, it tracks 800mhz trunking systems properly (unlike the Unidens).
The I-pod menu system is easy to get use to and works great. Those that don't like the I-pod menu driven set up are set in the 1980's style of scanner or have fat fingers.

W9KDX Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2013 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Overly Complex  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This baby took a good week to figure out. It does a good job of giving you every option possible, but their system of scan sets and such never seems to work as one would expect.

Additionally, this thing sucks batteries dry in 1-3 days, and, of course, the faceplate is defective right from the factory. Really a mistake for top-of-the-line.

Where I was, multipath was just too much to bear, so I sold it. I would only suggest this unit for someone who already knows what they want and is CERTAIN that multipath will not be a problem in their area.

KB8ESV Rating: 3/5 Mar 20, 2013 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Not Impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Battery issues were my main concerns. Several times my high-capacity NiMHs were dead when I powered up the scanner. Using the same antenna for both units, my Bearcat 346XT outperformed the 800 on Trunked traffic about 18 miles away. I sold it and recycled the money.

W2DWL Rating: 2/5 Mar 12, 2013 03:38 Send this review to a friend
High End Scanner Or Just Overpriced?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This scanner is considered to be one of the top of the line scanners or just way overpriced? For a scanner that is now going for as much as $699.00 at the time of this review at Scan Master.com it lacks a lot of features that one would think of in such a high tech scanner such as "dup check" but lets be fair it has tons of bells & whistles. The one disadvantage is that you have to be tied to a computer for all input, no direct entry, which means you have to subscribe to Radio Reference and update the library and if the library dosen't have your local freqs then you must input through your computer software. There is one way of charging the batteries, and that's through the supplied usb cable to your computer, no other AC/DC is offered.
There are some other things that I could say,but no sense in repeating what others have reviewed before me. So think hard and do your research before buying.

--------

CORRECTION: GRE DOES OFFER A AC ADOPTER TO CHARGE THE PSR-800 SCANNER
AC USB Adapter (5V 1A) Price: $12.95 FROM SCAN MASTERS.
I STAND CORRECTED.

K4SDW Rating: 1/5 Feb 15, 2013 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Worse Scanner I have Ever Owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hard to program. This scanner has it's own mind. After leaving it on for half a day and not hearing a sound, it begin picking up some frequencies, then stopped, even with outdoor antenna. I took it down to town beside the transmitter and it worked ok. 10 miles away it stopped picking up anything.
The batteries will not last. It does not have an AC plug, only a USB for the computer which charges the batteries. I hate that feature. If the power goes off it will glitch the memory card and then all you get is error messages and have to re format the card and start over from scratch. I bought a home patrol scanner and placed it about 10 feet apart and the home patrol never stops receiving frequencies while the PSR 800 remains silent even with the squelch wide open. I am going to sell this scanner and will make someone a good deal.

W8DMC Rating: 1/5 Feb 9, 2013 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Not for this guy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Asked what I wanted for Christmas. Sorry I asked for this type, I'm very disappointed in its overall functions, and level of reception with Onboard antenna, or even the external designer type roof mount. Complex as hell, and it lets you, you don't set it. It's in control, not you! I'll sell and buy something I can set up! Asking $50 less than paid.. And she's brand new!

N7EFM Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2013 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Not hearing squat-what's wrong?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned scanners from 1971. This is a great idea that doesn't work for me...at least not yet.I live close (but not too close) to a major city but don't want to pick up that area (just the closest town) so I put my zipcode in - then tried my county - then my city and don't seem to be picking up anything. I have two other scanners going (Uniden Br330 and Radio Shack Pro 197) both with inside antennas and I hear from them but almost never hear from the 800. It says that I downloaded around 300 frequencies but I only really listen to about 30. Clue me in on why this scanner gets any high marks. I'm guessing everyone else is listening in a major city. We don't have 800 trunked here due to all the mountainous terrain so most frequencies are VHF. I haven't done the software thing yet but I would love to load the frequencies from my area that I know are active. Maybe the scanner doesn't need help but I do!

KC9WXN Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A fantastic radio. Steep on price, but not an ordinary scanner. Feature rich, this radio has plenty of bells and whistles to offer. Had it for 6 months and never regretted purchasing. Radio reference is kick butt, fully updatable. I listen to Illinois State Police and whoever is on starcomm(P25). There is the multi path thing about it though for P25. Oh well, its a kick butt radio!