Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GRE PSR-800 Help

Reviews Summary for GRE PSR-800
GRE PSR-800 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $$499
Description: EZ-SCAN DIGITAL. Latest GRE Scanner with complete USA & Canada Radio Reference database stored on SD card. Simple to program from music player style interface. Scanner firmware can be updated from SD card.
More info: http://www.greamerica.com/PSR-800.html

You can write your own review of the GRE PSR-800.

W2DWL Rating: 2/5 Mar 12, 2013 03:38 Send this review to a friend
High End Scanner Or Just Overpriced?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This scanner is considered to be one of the top of the line scanners or just way overpriced? For a scanner that is now going for as much as $699.00 at the time of this review at Scan Master.com it lacks a lot of features that one would think of in such a high tech scanner such as "dup check" but lets be fair it has tons of bells & whistles. The one disadvantage is that you have to be tied to a computer for all input, no direct entry, which means you have to subscribe to Radio Reference and update the library and if the library dosen't have your local freqs then you must input through your computer software. There is one way of charging the batteries, and that's through the supplied usb cable to your computer, no other AC/DC is offered.
There are some other things that I could say,but no sense in repeating what others have reviewed before me. So think hard and do your research before buying.

--------

CORRECTION: GRE DOES OFFER A AC ADOPTER TO CHARGE THE PSR-800 SCANNER
AC USB Adapter (5V 1A) Price: $12.95 FROM SCAN MASTERS.
I STAND CORRECTED.

K4SDW Rating: 1/5 Feb 15, 2013 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Worse Scanner I have Ever Owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hard to program. This scanner has it's own mind. After leaving it on for half a day and not hearing a sound, it begin picking up some frequencies, then stopped, even with outdoor antenna. I took it down to town beside the transmitter and it worked ok. 10 miles away it stopped picking up anything.
The batteries will not last. It does not have an AC plug, only a USB for the computer which charges the batteries. I hate that feature. If the power goes off it will glitch the memory card and then all you get is error messages and have to re format the card and start over from scratch. I bought a home patrol scanner and placed it about 10 feet apart and the home patrol never stops receiving frequencies while the PSR 800 remains silent even with the squelch wide open. I am going to sell this scanner and will make someone a good deal.

W8DMC Rating: 1/5 Feb 9, 2013 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Not for this guy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Asked what I wanted for Christmas. Sorry I asked for this type, I'm very disappointed in its overall functions, and level of reception with Onboard antenna, or even the external designer type roof mount. Complex as hell, and it lets you, you don't set it. It's in control, not you! I'll sell and buy something I can set up! Asking $50 less than paid.. And she's brand new!

N7EFM Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2013 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Not hearing squat-what's wrong?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned scanners from 1971. This is a great idea that doesn't work for me...at least not yet.I live close (but not too close) to a major city but don't want to pick up that area (just the closest town) so I put my zipcode in - then tried my county - then my city and don't seem to be picking up anything. I have two other scanners going (Uniden Br330 and Radio Shack Pro 197) both with inside antennas and I hear from them but almost never hear from the 800. It says that I downloaded around 300 frequencies but I only really listen to about 30. Clue me in on why this scanner gets any high marks. I'm guessing everyone else is listening in a major city. We don't have 800 trunked here due to all the mountainous terrain so most frequencies are VHF. I haven't done the software thing yet but I would love to load the frequencies from my area that I know are active. Maybe the scanner doesn't need help but I do!

KC9WXN Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A fantastic radio. Steep on price, but not an ordinary scanner. Feature rich, this radio has plenty of bells and whistles to offer. Had it for 6 months and never regretted purchasing. Radio reference is kick butt, fully updatable. I listen to Illinois State Police and whoever is on starcomm(P25). There is the multi path thing about it though for P25. Oh well, its a kick butt radio!

N9YNG Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Confusing interface, but gets you listening fast  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned one of these for quite a while, since not long after they came out. I've owned a number of scanners over the years, and this is my favorite.

PROS:
1) With the SD card, you have the entire RadioReference.com database with you. I travel enough to different states and locales, and this makes programming the scanner a lot easier. You basically drill down from US->State->County->Agencies->Municipality and you can load the local FD/PD/OEM. Pretty easy.

2) Recording feature, you can have the scanner record channels while you're away/asleep.

3) Highly customizable, almost too a fault: You have a combination of scanlists, scan sets, and v scanner set-ups. I'll explain this in further detail later. Although, once I figured it out, I LOVE it... getting there wasn't easy.

4) Battery life is actually pretty good, BUT once you "fix" it in the software. Although, I think this was addressed in the lastest forware release on 1/15/2013.

CONS:

1) Many of the earlier versions of the scanner had a silk-screened front panel that wears off. GRE will replace the front panel if you have an affected unit.

2) The PC-side software is of "low maturity" as far as software engineering is concerned. It needs to be impoved.

3)Customization of the scanner can get very confusing... More on the scanlists, scan sets, and v scanner settings now:

The scanner has over 150 scanlists. You place the frequencies that you want to listen to into the scanlists. For example, I have scanlists for my down and each of the 3 neighboring towns PD/FD.

Now, this scanner doesn't directly scan scanlists... it scans the scan SETS. Scan sets are lists of scanlists. So, you could put all your scanlists into one scan set and forget about it forever. Or, what I did is that I have a scan set called Local PD/FD that contains the 4 scanlists I described above. I have scanlists for 2m and 440, and I have those in a scan set called Ham Radio. I have a scanlist for the electric company, gas company, cable company, and a scan set for Utilities. I usually have the Ham Radio scan set off, since most of that is lower-priority communications. By sctivating the Ham Radio scan set, I'm activating en masse all the scanlists that I created with ham frequencies.

Now, the v_scanner is pretty cool too, since you can save your ENTIRE scanner configuration, including scan sets and scanlists and all the other bells and whistles, such as the LED lights, preferences, etc, and start ofer from scratch. You can return to a previous configuration too. So, if you're going to be spending the summer someplace, just start a new v_scanner, create your scanlists and scan sets... and when you return, just go back to the old v_scanner folder. The scanner will return to all the settings the way you had it.

The only thing that I don't like about the scanner is that the PC-side of the software could be much better... much more user friendly. As a software engineer myself, it has this "low maturity" feel to it. It can be a little glitchy. If I could, I'd give the scanner 4.5 stars.

WA0ZZG Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2013 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a portable, handheld unit, this one does a good job. Don't expect to enter information from its front panel. You MUST either download or key in everything from the computer. Data is stored on a removable memory card that can be updated either through the scanner or on its own. A software CD is included. It will decode P25 data format used by public service. The decoding is done with a seperate audio DSP, the rest of the receiver being conventional. Recommend it be powered by an AC adapter or rechargable batteries. Current draw is just under 200mA, depending on the display lighting. Internal speaker audio is good but the headphone jack has audio level reduced making external speaker use not possible. The parent company of GREAmerica is closed but the US portion is still open. This one is closely tied to RadioReference service with weekly updates still available. Happy scanning.

AA8XR Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2012 21:24 Send this review to a friend
ok  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was recommended into this scanner, my first since buying a Radio Shack Pro 2004 back in the day. I was really looking forward to listening to the local activity in my area, only to find out after purchasing it that I would NOT be able to hear our local agency, as it is encrypted, oh well. After the disappointment wore off, I have started to enjoy playing with it with the software, making the firmware and cpu upgrades to it, as well as the software upgrade, and I have programmed all the ham freqs I can think of into it. Real bummer about local law enforcement being unavailable for listening, but there's still Fire, EMS and some other things, as well as all the ham freqs in one little rig that travels very easily. The price tag seems high, but then I paid as much for the Pro 2004 all those years ago.

KM4VX Rating: 2/5 Oct 23, 2012 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Complex and unrelkiable device.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This scanner is incredibly complex and the company seems to enjoy inventing terminology to replace good old English language words like "import" which sometimes they refer to as "map." There are dozens of other examples of their private language world. My SD card failed within the first week. I spent days figuring out how to program the scanner; eventually succeeded and scanned successfully in two cities. Then, the scanner simply stopped scanning; "nothing to scan." Changed batteries and re-seated SD card; waste of time. I will return the device. Unreliable.

K4SDW Rating: 3/5 Jul 22, 2012 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Not As Good As Expected  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I was considering purchasing this scanner, I did as much research as I could about the GRE Scanner and the Home Patrol Scanner. I finally decided I would purchase the GRE. I found programing to be a little harder than I had expected it to be. I had to go to You Tube and watch some videos to figure it out. Now, after I programmed it, I turned it on and loaded up the agencies I wanted to hear. It seemed like it took the scanner about an hour to start picking up frequencies. When it started picking them up, it worked ok. It missed a lot of conversations. I went to Radio Reference on the computer and listened to the same frequencies on the computer and my computer picked up the conversations better than the scanner did. I bought an external antenna but it didn't help much. I now wish I had bought the Home Patrol Unit. I may sell this one and try the Uniden since they have updated their software to the Extreme version.
I would not recommend buying this scanner.