Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Comet cat-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet cat-300
Comet cat-300 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $160 uk pounds
Description: Manual ATU with Built in swr power meter

You can write your own review of the Comet cat-300.

M0KTY Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2012 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Good performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner brand new. It will tune an amazing impedance range, probably even wet string!
All the controls are well made, turn and switch positively and on the whole the unit is well made and solid.
I had one problem after about 6 months that was an intermittent open circuit on the band selector switch, upon investigation one of the enamelled wires had come unsoldered and was making its contact with sprung pressure only. hence any slightest vibration broke the connection. 2 minutes with a 50 watt soldering iron and all was fixed. for this reason I have to give it a 4 out of 5.
The display is accurate against my other meter and compares well against my mini vna analyser.
I actually tuned all my 5 antenna using the CAT 300 through the Mini Vna to get the readings which I then wrote down onto a crib sheet. It saved lots of time, reduced any risk to the rig transmitter and saved transmitting whilst doing the tests.
I didn't have a problem with the display, and the controls seem responsive and positive. I have not owned any other tuners but have operated a Palstar tuner and although it's def not a Palstar, it's very good for the price.
it also accepts 300 watts so will work with all rigs that are capable of 200 watts like the Yaesu FT2000D and Kenwood TS480HX.

M6BIS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Superb Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first tuner, after realising I needed to make small adjustments on the tuner I managed to tune all bands 160 - 10m.

The tuner is well made, it might not be up there with the more expensive tuners, but for my first I think its great, plus it tunes a wire, as the tuner has capacity for this.

So I think this an excellent first tuner!

G1 Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2011 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had one of these for about a year. For some reason mine has a spelling mistake on the front. I seem to have a 'Power Rang' switch.
The variable C's in mine started acting oddly after a few weeks. I had a look and found that the moving plates rely on the nut at the back of the shaft to hold them in place. The nut on one of mine was loose, allowing the plates to rotate wherever they wanted to. I set them all to the same angle and tightened it.
A few weeks later, there were similar problems, but I found that the capacitors have extension shafts on them and one needed the grubscrews tightened.
I do not think the illumination of the meter is very good. There is a single bulb at bottom centre and I find it hard to see the actual SWR. It could do with a plastic scale with rear illumination or something.
I do not know if my unit is typical, but I expected better construction quality for the money. Variable C's made from multiple plates with spacers are asking for trouble.
I also have an MFJ which has its own problems (see MFJ-945e review), so I assume that these things are built to a budget.
Look for a good old proper ATU at a hamfest (1960's sort of era). They were built to last!

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this ATU a couple of weeks ago and Iam very pleased with it.
1 excellent build quality comet have put a lot of effort in this. The power swr meter is very good quality and the unit is nicely finished
with good quality fittings
2 very good tuning range will tune a host of aerials. This is a keeper and very good value for money