Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Comet cat-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet cat-300
Comet cat-300 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $160 uk pounds
Description: Manual ATU with Built in swr power meter

You can write your own review of the Comet cat-300.

DV2AWN Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2017 07:35 Send this review to a friend
good antenna tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ok... its actually my first antenna tuner :) i'm using it to tune my G5RV Jr. dipole antenna on my Icom IC7300. although my ic7300 has an internal tuner, its capacity to tune my dipole is limited to 40M and 10M. Using the comet made me operate on all band (1.9 to 50mhz). Its easy to use and is quality built. I would recommend it anytime.

M0KTY Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2014 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Further review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Further to my review in 2011, I consider that having owned the unit for over three years gives a good representation of this product.
Initially as reported in my earlier review I had a problem with a dry joint. This was rectified with some DIY soldering and I am pleased to report that the unit has been perfect since.
The build quality is very good and it has worked flawlessly since.
I have used it with the following rigs;
Yeasu FT897, Yaesu FT817ND, Kenwood TS480SAT, Icom 756 Pro, Yaesi FT2000 and Icom 718.
Antenna combinations includes dipoles, doublet fed with home brew ladder line, verticals, both with tuned elevated ground plains and ground mounted counter poise. Sloping dipoles and a home brew AH antenna. All with no problem. The unit has been used portable (with a copper earth rod) and at the beach.
The case and screws show no sign of rust and the paint finish is fairly wear resistant. Obviously it will scratch given sufficient force with a sharp object.
The bulb has not needed replacing in the meter and the meter has remained accurate against my Mini VNA.
I have no need to change this unit and I would def recommend getting one. Obviously you need to ensure that your impedance range is within the tuners capability and also keep in mind that a dummy load has a 1:1 VSWR so having an antenna with a low VSWR is no indication of performance.

M6BIS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Superb Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first tuner, after realising I needed to make small adjustments on the tuner I managed to tune all bands 160 - 10m.

The tuner is well made, it might not be up there with the more expensive tuners, but for my first I think its great, plus it tunes a wire, as the tuner has capacity for this.

So I think this an excellent first tuner!

G1 Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2011 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had one of these for about a year. For some reason mine has a spelling mistake on the front. I seem to have a 'Power Rang' switch.
The variable C's in mine started acting oddly after a few weeks. I had a look and found that the moving plates rely on the nut at the back of the shaft to hold them in place. The nut on one of mine was loose, allowing the plates to rotate wherever they wanted to. I set them all to the same angle and tightened it.
A few weeks later, there were similar problems, but I found that the capacitors have extension shafts on them and one needed the grubscrews tightened.
I do not think the illumination of the meter is very good. There is a single bulb at bottom centre and I find it hard to see the actual SWR. It could do with a plastic scale with rear illumination or something.
I do not know if my unit is typical, but I expected better construction quality for the money. Variable C's made from multiple plates with spacers are asking for trouble.
I also have an MFJ which has its own problems (see MFJ-945e review), so I assume that these things are built to a budget.
Look for a good old proper ATU at a hamfest (1960's sort of era). They were built to last!

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this ATU a couple of weeks ago and Iam very pleased with it.
1 excellent build quality comet have put a lot of effort in this. The power swr meter is very good quality and the unit is nicely finished
with good quality fittings
2 very good tuning range will tune a host of aerials. This is a keeper and very good value for money