Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-811H Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-811H
Ameritron AL-811H Reviews: 175 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $899
Description: 160-10 meter RF Amplifier. 4 811A tubes
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811H

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-811H.

WY7CHY Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp' especially for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this amp for going on 2 years now. I bought it used from a friend of mine. He had it for about 6-7 years. New, it's about $1000. I got it used for about $500. You can find them for about $500-$600 used. Those who criticize the 811H and the little brother 811 do so mainly because of advertised power out. They say that you can't really get 800 watts PEP out of the 811H without overdriving the tubes. That may be true. The power supply is definitely the weak link.

With traditional 811A tubes, you would be pressed getting 800 watts PEP out without pushing the tubes too hard. However, you can easily find some quality Ryazan G-811 tubes which are sturdier. But BETTER YET, you can simply put in 572b tubes. They are a direct swap; can handle so much more power than the amp can produce and will run much easier. Of course, without pushing hard or replacing tubes, you can easily get 650-700 watts out. And that extra 100 watts isn't going to gain you anything noticeable.

Other than the power advertisement, the amp is a very good amp. It's very simple. Easy to operate. Easy to work on if you ever had a problem. The design is tried and true and has been around for 25 years without any major changes. If it ain't broke,,,,, don't fix it.

If you have the extra money, buy the AL-80B. More power and better overall amp. But it's an extra $600 new and used is still about an extra $400. So, if money is an issue, get the 811H if money isn't an issue, get the 80B. For what it's worth, the extra couple hundred watts out of the 80B isn't really worth the extra $400-$600 for the amp. For the average person who wants an amp to make up for not having the best highest gain antenna, and wants to make those DX contacts, the 811H is a great amp. With my crappy antenna, the 811H has helped me contact europe, russia, all of the USA, central and south america, and some asian areas like hawaii.

N0HAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2016 07:21 Send this review to a friend
better amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a 811 and traded it for 811H have to admit not much power gain but hey 600 + on all bands not bad like the cost of the 811 tubes. Mine has soft tubes till this winter! About 2 S units 7-9 db increase. 40 wts in 600+ out

PY2KNK Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2016 03:40 Send this review to a friend
very good amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did not give full marks because I had a small problem in the anti spurious plate going up the valves, one of the capacitors warmed much to burn as working with AL 811 H in the band 10 meters. (I believe that the problem may have been in manufacturing).

After Substitutes anti spurious plate and put 572B valves, was excellent, it works fine with only input 40W produces its 750W at 80 meters, and good powers (400-600w) in other bands, and no longer had the problem of heating resistors.

I bought the 811H AL in 2012

I am pleased, best value for money for power.

PY2KNK

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2015 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the AL-811H amp now for more than 1 year, and I have found it to be very reliable and a great amp for the price range. My old SB-200 amp had finally gave up the ghost.I needed a new amp quickly, so I could work the FT4TA Tromelin Island DXpedition in Nov 2014. The AL-811H was in the price range I was looking at, so I decided to give it a try. I purchased it from HRO in Sunnyvale, CA.

So far, it has been very reliable, and works as advertised. I drive it to full output power with 60 W from my FT-450D. I get 700 W out on the lower bands, and about 600 W out on 10m and 12m. I drive it to full output power for my vertical antenna. My other antenna is a Q52 2-el yagi, rated at 700 W max power, so I reduce drive to about 500 W output. This requires about 25-35 W drive from the rig. For RTTY operation, I reduce power further to about 350 W out, and this only requires about 10-15 W drive from the rig. Audio reports have been good, and the amp has good linearity for digital modes.

I added the grid current overload mod, and I'm glad I did. I also use an external AC in-rush current limiter. I wish this feature was built into the amp, but MFJ/Ameritron offers an external unit that works well.

The fan is not very loud, IMO. I have the amp about 3 feet from my operating position.

My only complaint is that the input SWR on 17m and 12m is a bit high, about 2:1 on 17m, and a little lower on 12m. All the other bands are fine. I have tried tuning the 10/12 and 15/17 input coil slugs, but I have not noticed much effect. Maybe I'm using the incorrect size tuning tool. I have tried several different types. It would be nice if the manual recommended a manufacturer and model number for the tuning tool. I have not found this to be a big problem, though. I use the ATU on my transceiver when operating the amp on 17m.

The AL-811H has been quite reliable. I use it practically every day, and sometimes it is turned on for entire contest weekends, all without any problems. I haven't noticed any difference in the power output or required drive levels after 1 year of solid use.

I am thinking of upgrading to either an Acom ALS-600 or a KPA-500, so I can have no-tune operation and instant bandswitching capability. But I'll have to save my $$$ for those options. Until then, the AL-811H serves my needs quite nicely.

BTW, I did end up getting the QSO with FT4TA on 40m, long path, running 700 W output. I don't think it would have been possible with 100 W :-)

MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2015 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Gets Better With Age!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amplifier nearly three years now.

I finally figured out after two and a half years why I was getting a high input SWR on the AUX position on the band switch. It wasn't caused by a faulty rear band switch or duff input circuitry, but by the two metal plates that are part of the neutralising transformer. It was rubbing up against the connecting rod between the front and rear band switches. I saw photographs on other 811H's where this rod was further back than on mine.

I moved it back one bolt hole and the input SWR on 10m dropped to 1.5:1 and the power output of the amplifier increased over 650W into a dummy load.

I must have had the proverbial 'Friday afternoon job'!

KB9RZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2015 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the amp brand new four months ago. Everything inside was as it should be. Peaking at about 750 watts LSB on 40 and 75 meters. No problems at all so far. I think this amp is the best amp Ameritron makes for the dollar. I love this amp.

Warning: my opinion, but I would NOT get the 572 version of this amp. Too much trouble getting 572B tubes these days, even though RF Parts is trying to rectify the situation. Who needs that hassle? 811As are cheap and unless you run digital modes (RTTY etc) all the time you won't need the 572 version anyway. 73.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 23:47 Send this review to a friend
1st HF Amp   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up a AL-811H for $500
needed tubes so I have $600 in it . very clean inside and out . I have to say I love it . I get full power 800+ watts on all bands if I push it . Most of the time I just run it at 500 watts with 40 watts drive . so far so good I'm happy .

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2015 10:46 Send this review to a friend
good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this amp for 10 years and recently sold it and bought a KPA500. I never had any issues with the amp and used it often but never pushed it to the wall on output. If I could have afforded more at the time I would have bought an 80B but for the price, the AL-811H was an excellent buy.
Art

KC9VFO Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2015 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Works great,nice amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A very nice amplifier, bought from DX engineering and everything arrived perfectly. A bargain at the price , gives the extra punch to break through the noise. My peak reading meter still shows 750 watts all day long. Thank you Ameritron for building a quality amp at an affordable price.

W6LZC Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2015 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Before acquiring this amplifier, I was operating barefoot. Found that operating on 40 and 80 meters barefoot didn't get your signal over the noise level and was difficult in making consistent and reliable contacts. Definitely requires using an amplifier to boost the signal and get heard on the air. Since I was on a budget, this amplifier met my need for power and within that budget. The amplifier is simple to set up and use. No problems in operating the amp and received good audio signal reports when transmitting. Highly recommend this amplifier for those needing one and on a budget.