Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-811H Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-811H
Ameritron AL-811H Reviews: 174 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $899
Description: 160-10 meter RF Amplifier. 4 811A tubes
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811H

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-811H.

WD1W Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2014 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Warranty expired on my AL-811H today ... so I started making some mods. Cut the power cord and put in a detachable cord ... now, less combersome to move around. Replaced the transmit LED with a BRIGHT one. Considering cutting a 4" hole in the top and installing a box fan on the top cover right over the tubes. Installed a set of Svetlana 811As. This amp rocks ... 800 watts ... easy to tune ... repeatable settings ... fantastic audio reports. I bought this amp last December because I had heard so many great signals powered by the AL-811H. My hope was that my audio would sound as good as what I was hearing. Mission accomplished. I'd buy another one and recommend this amp to anyone looking for medium power and great audio.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2014 19:18 Send this review to a friend
So Far - So great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the Amp a month now, prior to power up, I inspected the solder joints to IPC J-STD-001D. There was flux residue, but other than that looked good. Inspected fit and overall condition, and it meets commercial standard. I was pensive, but find no fault with it. Would have purchased an ACOM if I had money to waste, and I hope I am not sorry. So Far So Good or Great, getting 800 watts with 60 watt drive. I consider it a bargain compared to what is on the market at this time. I use W8JI tuneup procedures and it is fast and easy. I also use a keyer at 50 WPM dots to simulate a pulser and it works great. So far would buy again.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2014 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Bang > Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simple, easy to tune, works as advertised. My first amp and it works great. Pondered over the Solid state for less output and twice the $, glad I chose the 811H.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It all depends on what you want. This amp is the lowest price in dollars / watt that I have found. It is just an amp with none of the stuff you can add to one - no qsk, no soft start, no grid protection, no auto tune. The tubes are fragile (I have been told) but, they are inexpensive and they work. This amp is well built. No loose parts. I get a dependable 600 watts out on CW and more on SSB. It seems to be very durable. I could get something fancier or more technically advanced but, not for the money.

WD9IQN Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2014 12:44 Send this review to a friend
AL-811H working great !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the AL-811H for 5 months now. I primarily use it on 80 and 10 meters. Tunes up easily. Good clean output on my scope. I am happy with it.

MM0IMC Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Gone Up In My Estimation!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally, I've had some faith restored in this amplifier. It still performs very well on most bands giving between 800W-900W into a dummy load, cruising along at the UK legal limit of 400W with an input drive of less than 20W!

You can get nearly 700W on 12m with a lot of drive, but that comes with a word of caution as below...

Be aware though that this amplifier doesn't really like 10m though! It runs hots and requires a lot of drive for this band - a quick way to shorten the life of your valves (tubes)!

MM0IMC Rating: 3/5 Jan 20, 2014 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Fixed the amp...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally got a replacement rear band switch from Ameritron and got the amplifier working again. :)

I noticed that the drive spindle between the band switches seems to rotate with a pronounced off-centre motion. This may have cause the premature wear of the original rear band switch as it isn't that robust as compared to the front one...

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2014 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my AL-811H for several years and thought it was finally time to write a review. I know that MFJ has its issues with bad solder joints and other quality issues (as you can gather from the many comments and reviews on MFJ products) but what can I say...? My AL-811H has been flawless and performs great. I just replaced the original tubes with new 811A's from RF Parts and the amplifier once again delivers 800 watts. Would I recommend it? - you bet! In fact...I'm probably going to look for another one!

MM0IMC Rating: 2/5 Dec 6, 2013 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Duff Rear Band Switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
As usual, the connection with Made From Junk lets this amplifier down! The rear wafer band switch has given up the ghost, even though I religiously had the amp in standby and never transmitted whilst moving the band switch.

Built DOWN to a price and NOT up to a standard!

VK5CM Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Linear thats easy to Tune-Up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best Amplifier I have ever used,so easy to tune up with my Yaesu FT-950. It kicks out a clean healthy 800 plus watts quite easily (much better LA than the self tune one selling for three times more)Follow the instruction booklet and you'll have a perfect linear. Try using only 60 watts input from the exciter and no ALC for easy 59 Plus reports. Hook back the ALC for more than 70 watts from the exciter. In Australia we are limited to 400 watts, so 30 watts from the exciter is ample.
73 Chris