Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-811H Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-811H
Ameritron AL-811H Reviews: 170 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $899
Description: 160-10 meter RF Amplifier. 4 811A tubes
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811H

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-811H.

WD9IQN Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2014 12:44 Send this review to a friend
AL-811H working great !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the AL-811H for 5 months now. I primarily use it on 80 and 10 meters. Tunes up easily. Good clean output on my scope. I am happy with it.

MM0IMC Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Gone Up In My Estimation!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally, I've had some faith restored in this amplifier. It still performs very well on most bands giving between 800W-900W into a dummy load, cruising along at the UK legal limit of 400W with an input drive of less than 20W!

You can get nearly 700W on 12m with a lot of drive, but that comes with a word of caution as below...

Be aware though that this amplifier doesn't really like 10m though! It runs hots and requires a lot of drive for this band - a quick way to shorten the life of your valves (tubes)!

MM0IMC Rating: 3/5 Jan 20, 2014 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Fixed the amp...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally got a replacement rear band switch from Ameritron and got the amplifier working again. :)

I noticed that the drive spindle between the band switches seems to rotate with a pronounced off-centre motion. This may have cause the premature wear of the original rear band switch as it isn't that robust as compared to the front one...

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2014 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my AL-811H for several years and thought it was finally time to write a review. I know that MFJ has its issues with bad solder joints and other quality issues (as you can gather from the many comments and reviews on MFJ products) but what can I say...? My AL-811H has been flawless and performs great. I just replaced the original tubes with new 811A's from RF Parts and the amplifier once again delivers 800 watts. Would I recommend it? - you bet! In fact...I'm probably going to look for another one!

MM0IMC Rating: 2/5 Dec 6, 2013 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Duff Rear Band Switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
As usual, the connection with Made From Junk lets this amplifier down! The rear wafer band switch has given up the ghost, even though I religiously had the amp in standby and never transmitted whilst moving the band switch.

Built DOWN to a price and NOT up to a standard!

VK5CM Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Linear thats easy to Tune-Up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best Amplifier I have ever used,so easy to tune up with my Yaesu FT-950. It kicks out a clean healthy 800 plus watts quite easily (much better LA than the self tune one selling for three times more)Follow the instruction booklet and you'll have a perfect linear. Try using only 60 watts input from the exciter and no ALC for easy 59 Plus reports. Hook back the ALC for more than 70 watts from the exciter. In Australia we are limited to 400 watts, so 30 watts from the exciter is ample.
73 Chris

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 08:39 Send this review to a friend
11 years and still going on strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only problem I have had was with what looked like runaway current about 5 years ago. I sent the thing to Ameritron and it was repaied within the week for $60, including the shipping. I modified mine with 2kV rated capacitors and also installed a softstart module from another vendor who had them some years ago. I tried the 572B tubes and worked very well. However, I returned to the original 811As after I broke the cap off from one of the 572Bs. Still giving good service at the rated 600 W on CW and 800 W p-p on SSB with about 65 W of drive from an IC-746.

KF6OCI Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2013 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Practical Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these, didn't know anything
about them at the time, but there is so much
info on line that learning about them inside and
out is quick. Easy to work on and there are
numerous Hams including yahoo groups that
kindly help. Great learning experience.
I'm easy on my equipment, don't push.

KF6OCI

N4JA Rating: 3/5 Aug 15, 2013 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Changing input coax helped  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll have to take back all I said before. Today, I was going to try to tune the input circuit on 10 and 12 Meters. I tuned up the amp on 10 meters with 5 watts drive. I moved the LP-100 from the output of the amp to the input. I had a 16 inch jumper of RG-213 from the LP-100 to the input of the amplifier. I had been using the SWR on the exciter on my other tests. Using the LP-100, I was able to get the input SWR down below 2:1. I determined that either the RG-8X I had been using was not 50 ohms or the length was wrong. I changed out the jumper from the exciter to the amplifier from 5 feet to 3 feet. Now I get drive on both 10 and 12 Meters. But you still need an external wattmeter to tune up the amplifier. With the new length of RG-8X cable the SWR meter on the exciter now reads 1.6:1 on 28495 and I get 495 watts out on 10 Meters with 60 watts drive. The input SWR on the exciter says 1.2:1 on 12 Meters and I get 514 watts out on 24945 with 60 watts drive. Now none of the other band's SWR were affected. I still get over 600 watts out on the other bands with 60 watts drive to the four 572B tubes. I am still running the tuning slugs all the way out the back on the two input coils on 20, 17 and 15 Meters. But I did notice the SWR reading on the exciter's SWR meter came down to 1:1 on 15 meters, instead of 1.2:1 before I changed coax jumpers between the exciter to the amplifier.
The main problem I was having with the input SWR on 20, 17 and 15 meters is still like it was before. To get the input SWR down below 3:1 on those 3 bands, I had to run the ferrite tuning slugs all the way out of the back of the coil assemblies.

W3LQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2013 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Good amp for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked this amp up on Ebay at the same time that I picked up an 811 (pice was real good on both, and it never hurts to have a spare). The amp arrived in very good shape; one of the tubes, however, did not make the trip well and was DOA. I bought a new set of 811As, and replaced the dead one.
This amp had the same little problem that the 811 I bought had--shorted D-16 diode in the grid circuit. Replaced the diode, and all was well.
Run this baby at 500 watts key down and it seems to like that operating zone. Run the amp through my Ameritron 1.5 KW, and all is well.
What am I doing with two Ameritrons? Well, the price was right. I like these amps a lot, but if the right Ameritron 80A or 80B presented itself, I would probably switch.