Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil ProSet Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Heil ProSet Plus
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Dual headset, ragchew and DX mic elements, earphone phase reversal switch.

You can write your own review of the Heil ProSet Plus.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2013 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this Pro-Set Plus up used and it had a "lazy boom" as Heil calls it. I tried to tighten it up with no success. The seller was very nice and agreed to pay for repair. I sent it to the Heil Hospital. They called me and told me they could not fix it, so they were sending me a brand new unit for a total cost of 42 dollars!! One week later, I have a new Pro-Set Plus even though they have not made this one for some time now. It works great. The headphones really seal out ambient noise, and the phase reversal switch really works.
The audio from the HC-4 and HC-5 is nice and smooth. Although I have found you really need to use a windscreen or you will have some "pops" in your audio.

If you own Heil gear, I can assure you it is backed up by some of the best service in this hobby. Thanks Bob!

I may even try some SSB contesting now.

ON9CC Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2012 04:13 Send this review to a friend
GREAT !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this headset for 2,5 years now on my Icom PRO's and 7800. Great headset! Good noise cancelling (no David-Clark, but OK) and comfortable also when using for many hours during contests.

One disadvantage: they are not available anymore obviously ! ... could use another pair for my OrionII.

KU4GW Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 19:58 Send this review to a friend
I LOVE IT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using a Heil Pro Set Plus Headset for almost 5 years now and absolutely love it! I ran it at first on a Kenwood TS-570D and always got excellent audio reports with it and now I use the same headset on a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V, my second Mark V, and receive unsolicited excellent audio reports on it. My favorite feature is the phase reversal switch which when switched on makes the received audio sound like it is centered inside my head instead of being at my ears. Makes for very pleasurable listening even for extended periods of time.I know that Heil has discontinued the Pro Set Plus and replaced it with the Pro Set Elite which has the new HC-6 element in it so if you get a Pro Set Plus now it will either have to be a used one or new old stock from someone's inventory. If you can find one and want super audio reports snatch it up because eventually they will be few and far between and difficult to find because when most hams get one they don't want to part with it. I still don't understand why Heil stopped making them except for marketing purposes of a new product because they do work so well! 5 Star rating from this station on a scale of 1 to 5! Highly recommended!

NW0W Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2011 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, but uncomfortable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This review is aimed at comfort of actually wearing this headset. With the ear cup booties on it flattens your ear with a fair amount of pressure, which in about 30-60 minutes gets to be uncomfortable.

With those little ear cup booties off, the comfort is a bit better since the cups surround your ears, but the head set is HEAVY, and I have yet to find any way to control them from slipping down my head, there doesn't seem to be a locking or adjustment method to get the headset to ride properly on your head.

From a sheer comfort point of view, these are the worst I've ever had.

In all other regards, the headset is WONDERFUL. I find being able to switch the phase reverse IN/OUT VERY useful to avoid hearing fatigue, as well as improving the quality of the audio in various situations.

The HC4/HC5 switch on the mike portion is a nice feature to have the ability to quickly change your mike audio.

My Rig is an FTDX-5000 and the Headset works WONDERFULLY and drives the audio on the radio about as perfectly as anyone could expect I think.

My only gripe (which is actually a serious one) is the weight, and discomfort related to the wearing of this headset. My older Heil Proset (non-plus) was comfortable enough to sleep with on my head while I was on various expeditions. This headset is definitely NOT in the same comfort category.

Unless I am totally missing something obvious (which IS possible) I have not found anything that can lock the top strap in place to get the proper ride height of the top support for the headset, and the small spring-like device used for this purpose does not appear to be strong enough to accomplish getting the ride height into a comfortable position hand maintaining if for long periods.

I give this headset of 4 out of 5, ONLY because it performs well from a hearing and mike audio quality stand point. I dinged it 1 point for comfort, but probably should have really rated it at a 3, because if you can't stand to wear them they aren't of much use are they?

K9SQG Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2011 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for all band conditions!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the Heil ProSet Plus for a couple of years now and picked it due to the excellent experience with previous Heil headsets, both single and dual earpieces, and the single element microphone style. Service from Heil is top notch, reputable, friendly, they set the standard.

I often get unsolicited good audio reports both with the ragchew and DX elements. Headset is extremely comfortable and the tension in the headband is adjustable. I added a foam cover over the housing for the elements to keep dirt, moisture, and "pah" popping sounds away from the mic elements when close to the mouth. Earphone covers eliminate a lot of background noise. It is a real pleasure to use with the Heil hand-grip PTT switch or the footswitch that I use for swap net operations. A lot more convenient and less fatiguing than adjusting your body to the location of the desk mic!

Any negatives? Only one and I almost hate to mention it. The output from the DX element is slightly lower than for the ragchew element so you have to adjust the mic gain accordingly. However, I'm not sure if this is necessary if you are using a speech processor.

In summary, the ProSet Plus is a keeper. I'm using it with my Drake TR-7A and plan to make an adaptor cable for using it with my Drake C-Line. Emails or phone calls to Heil Sound are pleasant, rapid, and informative. Great people with a great product.