Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-631A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-631A
Kenwood TM-631A Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $500.00 +
Description: 2 meters/220 MHz
50 watts out on 2 meters / 25 watts on 220 MHz
Receive is 136-174 and 215-230 MHz

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-631A.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 20:34 Send this review to a friend
A great impulse buy for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still love the 222MHz band and a friend of mine seen a TM-631A for sale about $200.00. I actually really didn't need it, but thought it to maybe be a good 222MHz back-up rig. Glad that I did! The only thing I had to do, (Like I did with a lot of older Kenwood rigs.), was to get rid of that darn teardrop mic for the newer Kenwood MC-57DM DTMF mic and replace the rig's 3VDC Li battery. Wow!!! Great ears on both bands. TX audio good and it does about 45W on 2M and I was able to tweak 222MHz to 30W. Limited memories, but that's to be expected for a rig of the late 1980's. However, it does have the repeater functions needed, like CTCSS tones. I haven't done the white LED's in the display yet, but thus far I don't need to. This rig is a keeper, even if it is a spare. The antenna used with it was the Comet CX-224 Triband mobile antenna.

W3TWG Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile or base rig - even 17 years later!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like Kenwood radios and I like Standards, so, I may be a little biased.
I bought my 631A from a good friend sometime in 1994, it was lightly used and it went right into the car for the next two years or so. Due to how I had it mounted, the one coax pigtail developed a separation from the ouput and 220 went dead. In my rush to get back on the air, I bought an Azden 220 rig to replace it in the car (you see, I am a 220MHz FREAK). After troubleshooting and finding the problem and correcting it, the 631A was back in service, but I decided to make it the base radio, where for the next ten plus years it has served perfectly mounted on a power supply. Last year, I decided to put it back in the car, after a hiatus of 5 years from ham radio alltogether, and it is playing like it never quit. Same Diamond dual band ant I had 15 years ago, signal reports through the roof and has the ears of a bat. There is no way I could be any less pleased with my radio.
Aside from the ant connection, the only other failure was the memory battery, that was taken care of easily, and now, after over 17 years of ownership, there is one LCD giving up in the sub band memory channel indicator.
When this radio gives up the ghost, it will owe me nothing, and I will surely lament my loss, it's a great rig, even in 2011 it does all most folks need it to do.
Oh, yeah, the cross band repeat works great, just takes some getting used to, and really, who needs it?