Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | LINGUA Help

Reviews Summary for LINGUA
LINGUA Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $290.00
Description: Recognizing human speech by its characteristic envelope
curve, to isolate and extract speech from the noisy signal
received, and to feed the extracted speech content to the
audio output. This process gives you speech without noise!
More info: http://www.ing-michels.de/home.html

You can write your own review of the LINGUA.

PA0PGA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2016 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Makes the IC-7300 even better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-7300 is very good in the noise aspect and the NR noise reduction works good, but weakens the signal somewhat.
By using the Lingua the noise is completely eleminated, even with the NB out.
What I hear is pure audio, no noise at all on 80 and 40 meter.
So it makes a really good radio still better, it is maybe a good idea for Icom to put this Lingua DSP in their new upcoming sets..
Just try it yourself, you will never go back.

SQ6RKY Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2016 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DSP  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works as expected. I own entry level radio with wire antenna, thus Lingua V6 is excelent expansion of my station. It works much better than DSP build in the radio. I've bought it after mine friend's recommendation who works with top level radios. Would I buy it again? - yes.

DL7AOH Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2015 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Relief for your ears!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the LINGUA since about 3 years for all audio communication. It helps my ears to listen to the content of the QSOs, without bothering noise, whistles and interference.

The effect is different from other filters or DSPs:
- Good Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): Loud and clear modulation, no heterodyne interference
- Medium SNR: As above, the volume setting of the receiver has no effect
- Bad SNR: The modulation goes down, but the noise will not rise! Faint signals are well legible.

I do not want to miss this little item: Use it for SSB and FM.

Two remarks:
1. The WWW address of the supplier has changed: http://www.hoerfabric.de/eng/
2. Use it with separate power supply: Voltage fluctuation during transmission is passed to the loudspeaker, if you use the same 12 V supply.

JTOMLINSON Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2013 08:12 Send this review to a friend
great but can be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Lingua for a couple of years now
and find it is a bit short on speaker drive most of the time. One day for the fun of it I plugged my headphones in---man oh man what a difference.
The Lingua was made for headphones trust me on this. My Sony MDR 101's work just great with it.
You have got to try it with headphones you may never go back to speakers.
JimT

PA0PGA Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 11:47 Send this review to a friend
2M sound on 80m  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these units on a HF operating position and am very impressed with the supression of all random noises on a crowdy 80 and 40 m band. The resulting audio is like a 2m FM signal, when properly aligned.
More is that the recovered audio is much improved, no high hissing sound, just nothing heard when nobody is speaking. A blessing for older amateurs. I just bought another one for the 2th operation position in the living room, with equally good results.
Not cheap, but exceptionally well spended money.

4Z4RB Rating: 2/5 May 14, 2011 01:36 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The filter is great but there is no documentaion and if you ask for it the jusend you the published paper on the web .too bad for that price they can supply a few words
4z4rb

ZS6ARF Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2011 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DSP add on for radios without DSP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am impressed with the performance of the unit.

I have put it into the speaker connection (although the recommended connection is direct into the audio chain as to have a constant audio stream) of my Icom IC 7700 switching between it and the Noise Reduction (DSP) system used in the IC 7700. I must admit there is very little difference in performance between the Lingua and the IC 7700. I listened to a QSO on 40 meters with a S9 plus 10 noise level at my QTH and with the Lingua the background noise all disappeared and the voices were perfectly readable although the S meter stayed at the S9 plus 10 noise level, it actually sounded a bit clearer on the Lingua than the DSP of my IC 7700.

It also works on CW although the manual states that it is not designed for CW but for SSB and FM (the algorithm is designed for the voice spectrum) but on CW it still takes the background noise away.

I have a sense this might also be useful to the EME guys and will test it soon.

This unit is a must for any radio that has not inbuilt DSP or poor DSP as it adds the functionality of DSP as found on the upmarket radios at a fraction of the cost of these radios.

Once the audio and filter levels of the Lingua are set, I also found no need for changes. What I might do is to modify the small filter on/off switch to add a plug where I can insert a larger switch that can be positioned on the operating desk that will be more convenient to use.

It would have been nice to get a power (fused) cord and a double speaker connection with the Lingua, but it is easy to make some up for the shack.

Wynand ZS6ARF

ZS6YI Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only used the Lingua for a week but am suitably impressed with the performance of the unit.
The unit was used with an Icom IC 7800 and compared to the Noise Reduction (DSP) system used in the IC 7800. It compared very well so an operator using a radio with no DSP noise reduction unit installed will benefit tremendously by using this unit.
The unit was not supplied with a power cord and plug (it uses 12V) or with an instruction handbook. The South African dealer very quickly assisted me with a copy of the handbook via email. I find this not to be acceptable considering the price of the unit. This will NEVER happen with a Japanese built product.
When using the unit care must be taken to carefully adjust the filter level for if it is set too high the audio sounds very robotic, similar to earlier DSP audio filter units but if the unit is adjusted correctly it works really very well indeed.
73 Gary ZS6YI