Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grudig 450 DLX Field Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Grudig 450 DLX Field Radio
Grudig 450 DLX Field Radio Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $100
Description: AM/FM/3 band SW receiver. Dual het pll replacement for analog 350 series.

You can write your own review of the Grudig 450 DLX Field Radio.

KAPT4560 Rating: 3/5 Aug 7, 2016 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Could have been better.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is refurbished, so I'm making a judgement from that.
My tuning knob was extremely stiff as well. I did disassemble the encoder control and removed a lot of the silicone grease that was used as a stiffener and added a drop of synthetic oil to soften the rest of the grease. The control can spin much easier now.
The black front panel is hard to see in low light conditions (my CCranesw has a bright brushed aluminum front panel which makes the knobs stand out in dim lighting).
I added a center dot of luminescent paint to the knobs to help locate the black-on-black controls at night.
The LED blue-gray backlight for the display is blindingly bright at night. I will try to shade them for a dimmer blue-gray illumination (the CCranesw uses an amber backlight that is much more comfortable on the eyes at night).
The numerals are large enough where I don't need glasses to see them.
The audio fidelity is a highpoint of this radio, but it always sounds like it is slightly off-station on AM and SW. If I intentionally go a couple of kHz off frequency, it actually sounds better tuned in. This adjustment may have been disturbed or overlooked during the refurbishment. FM is OK.
The TG-37 BFO can be used to get CW/SSB reception and plugs into the IF jack at the rear.
Poor Max Grundig, look what have they done to your good name.

N3FSH Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2016 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Fine Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really good sensitivity, despite unnecessary, battery-burning clock and clumsy weight.

Acquirer needs to spend some time teaching himself how to use it most effectively.

Paid about $60 and worth it, in absence ICF-7600 or ICF-5900 or ICF-6800F.

Need go 100 feet from building for good whip use, given VA condo construction (aluminum fire-retarding sheets in walls).

N7AF Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2015 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Just what I wanted. . .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a large German portable shortwave receiver when I was a kid but couldn't afford one at the time. Even if Grundig is now Chinese, this radio fills the bill. It is large, it has a large tuning knob, and is powered by six D-cells. It has excellent sound and should run for a long time on battery power.

The tuning knob operates very smoothly though there is a little too much drag to use the finger hole effectively. The controls, except for frequency band and bandwidth feel fine. Those two are wobbly, as others have noted, but guessing they have shafts or prongs engaging PC-board mounted switches.

The radio performs very well on the SW bands and it is easy to navigate any part of the spectrum with the quick band and the fast and slow buttons that control the tuning rate of the knob. (The only exception is on the 20-30 MHz band where it's a long way between SWBC bands.)

A nice feature is that it has a coaxial (F) jack on the back to connect an external antenna which helps shield the radio from all the in-house noises if one's antenna is outside. (Results using the built-in whip antenna for shortwave listening in noisy locations isn't very gratifying.)

The only annoying feature to me is that the dial light, even when it's turned on full time by holding the switch on top for a couple of seconds, reverts back to off if you tune the radio from the frequency it's on.

All in all, I'm happy with the radio and it fulfills a longtime "need" of mine. (Even though I've spent a lifetime using communication receivers.)

VE3EFJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Good and SSB Capable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on my experience I think that this radio is underrated. I'll try to add in a different twist rather than a "just another review". I read "too big to be portable". Well, I sure hope its size wasn't a surprise before purchase. The size is what allows this radio to sound so good. On AM which includes SW it is sensitive and you have a bandwidth selection. On any frequency this radio is sensitive. There is no keypad entry, but the radio has some memories and the ability to "chunk" to the next factory frequency. It tunes to 30 MHz and the backlight is white (yippee!).

The build quality - especially the knobs and switches - could of been better. I'd rate this area as below acceptable, but useable.

And last... there is a sideband adaptor for this radio known as the TG 37, or you can build your own. To those interested Google will give you the required links. I bought this radio for AM and FM with SW a bonus. As for SSB, most of these portables that include SSB are pretty crappy at doing it, so I don't consider it a big attraction. If its THAT important to you get an FT-817.

I think this radio is being discontinued and from the reviews it seems to me that the models prior to 2014 had issues from the way the reviews and complaints track. Mine was a late model refurb and I am happy with it. A solid 4 and not a 5 because of the wobbly knobs.

VA2DV Rating: 1/5 Dec 17, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Worst set ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received it last year as a Xmas gift. First thing I noticed was the wobbly knobs. Too much play for any kind of long term use. Then I tried SW reception. Like the previous reviewer said ; nadda, just white noise on weak signals and distorded audio on strong ones...A few day after, It develloped a random lock down condition where I had to reset it each and every time.
Returned it to the dealer for a new one. Did not even open the box and put it on Ebay for a ridiculous price.Buyer beware.

RYAN84 Rating: 0/5 Dec 17, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Avoid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is just terrible. I picked one up today because Radioshack is going out of business and liquidating their inventory. I paid $44 for the radio which is a pretty dramatic discount from $79.99. So I'll start at the beginning. I buy the radio, leave the store, and I don't know what made me think to do it but I removed the radio from the box inside of the car before leaving just to inspect it. I open the battery cover and the terminals are filled with corrosion. "That's odd" I think to myself. This is a new radio. So I take it back in and explain the problem and without hesitation the woman hands me a new one. Fine. So after getting the new one, also inspecting it, and I'm driving back home with the radio on my passenger seat and I notice that the little knobs that control the bandwidth and SW bands are just rattling away. Just looking like an absolute cheap piece of junk. At that moment, only then did I realize just how cheaply made this thing is. So I get it home, already not feeling so great about my purchase, and decide to try it out. OH WOW, there's no SSB? Ok fine, moving on. I turn on my Sony 2010 and tune to WWV on 10.0 so I can compare signal quality. I turn on the 450, tune to 10.0, nothing but absolutely clean white noise. "OK, so I clearly must not have this thing in the correct mode or something". After inspecting the switches and knobs for about 2 minutes, the realization sets in, "No, the radio just sucks that much". Without hesitation, packed it all back up and returned the radio.

This thing is a molded plastic toy. It's designed to give the appearance of a legitimate radio, but it's a ploy.

Pros
Good speaker
Nice feeling knob

Cons
Tunes incredibly slow even in fast tune mode. It can take all day to sweep the full HF spectrum spinning the knob.

Major QC issues, and cheap build quality. I'm glad I managed to return it back to the store before it crumbled apart in my hands.

Poor performance. Virtually deaf.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2014 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been listening to shortwave radios for many years. Important points includes the following-

1- well implemented AGC (clear audio)
2- adjustable selectivity (minimum wide & narrow selection)
3- smooth continuous tuning without chunking (no mute circuit while tuning)
4- high sensitivity
5- no images (dual conversion)
6- no PLL artifacts (phase noise) with a digital tuning design
7- accurate digital readout
8- drift free design

The Grundig S450DLX achieves all on the list above on the shortwave bands. Do note- medium wave AM is lacking in best sensitivity, however my focus is shortwave broadcast.

The control layout of this radio is excellent and not impeded with complicated time consuming menus. The radio tunes in 1kHz or 5kHz via two buttons on the front panel. Shortwave is selected in two main bands and a quick tune button on the front panel is handy for quickly navigating the frequencies.

The wide/narrow pass-band switch is well designed. Bass & treble tone controls fine tune the received audio for best listening pleasure. The audio is crystal clear sounding and almost as accurate as a tube type radio, yet no tube type radio can compete with the features of this new design solid-state radio.

The Grundig S450DLX is a dual conversion radio unlike the previous Grundig model S350DL that was subject to images. The minor, but present drift issues of the S350DL were addressed with the S450DLX using a PLL.

Comparing the S450DLX to a Kenwood R-1000 on AM shortwave I find the S450DLX subject to less signal fading, quieter on the noisy lower frequency bands and having better audio response. Keep in mind the Kenwood is a well regarded vintage shortwave receiver.

Some cons-

The wall wart power supply can at times introduce some low frequency noise at certain frequencies. I suggest using a split Snap-on ferrite for better isolation from external noise.

The tuning knob had more drag than I prefer and especially so when using the finger detent. However, it feels fairly solid and I had become used to using it.

Seriously, why this radio is not rated a 4.5 surprises me. (The handle as reported as cheesy is ridiculous). Grundig must have been surprised as well and has discontinued this radio. A new Grundig G550 has been released this month. Preliminary tests indicates the tuning mute function was designed on the G550 and may not be defeat able. That is a deal breaker for me.

The most outstanding feature is the S-450GLX is on sale for as low as $34 shipped. Get one while you can. I bought another to have a backup. The Grundig S-450DLX is that good!

WB5GSA Rating: 2/5 Jul 19, 2014 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Not Ready for Prime Time  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Where do I begin? I am far from satisfied with this piece of equipment.

The radio was a 2013 Christmas gift from my daughter She fell for a sales pitch from Radio Shack and now I am stuck with this radio.

The radio isn't all bad and here are the good points:

Having an RF gain control is great on a portable radio.
AM band bandwidth switch is a very good feature.
Good sensitivity on AM and FM. SW is dead without an external long wire.

The BAD, not in any particular order:

Far too heavy for a portable.
The carrying strap is Mickey Mouse at best; a handle would be better.
The sleep "feature" has a mind of its own as does the dial light. Both activate at odd times or at any touch of any control.
The tuning beeps are annoying. I get PLL "hash" from the speaker as I tune
No BFO
FM capture is annoying here in a rural area but I don't have that problem with another sensitive portable, my car radio or my very good stereo receiver.

My converted 1980s Chevy car radio is far more sensitive and selective on AM and FM than this thing. Eton apparently bought the Grundig name and this radio is a poor representative for a name associated with a long line of quality equipment.

I would have given this radio a 1 or a 0 rating if it weren't for the good sensitivity on AM. Incidentally, this is my second 450 DLX. I exchanged the one my daughter gave me because of many other problems.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2014 14:03 Send this review to a friend
A great buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned my 450 DLX for one week, but have given it a pretty good shakedown in that time. First off: The AM broadcast sensitivity is unrivalled for a radio in this price class. I can copy a 1 KW AM on 540 located on Long Island, 150 miles away, in mid afternoon! This equals the performance of my FT-857, and the audio is better to boot! This is with the internal antenna - strangely, the much-vaunted CCrane Twin-Ferrite coil antenna did not help.
The audio is rich, and separate bass and treble controls mean you can tailor it for speech or music. FM - same story, and the stereo feature (thru headphones) is quite a nice touch.
Shortwave reception with the built-in extendable whip is good to very good; with an external antenna very good to excellent. Stability also seems excellent.
A few nits: The memory recall system is cumbersome, requiring a complete cycling if you go past the desired station. Not a serious flaw, but less than ideal. Also, I am unable to make the dial lights stay on permanently, even when using the supplied AC adaptor. They do come on every time a tuning control is touched, however. What I miss most is the lack of a BFO. I had hoped to buy the inexpensive Ten-Tec kit, but, sad to say, it has been discontinued. Nonetheless, I have thus far always been able to monitor amateur AM stations on 160, 80, and 40 Meters. For general amateur monitoring I will have to look around for a suitable add-on that can be obtained or built cheaply.
To summarize: This radio is great at it's primary mission of SWLing, and reception of commercial AM and FM. There are a lot of nice touches (like lighted buttons) and solid performance attributes - what it does, it does very well. I would rate this as a great buy, especially as it is frequently discounted. If you are seriously into SWLing, you wont have to guess at the frequency.
Overall feel says a well made, quality radio - I plan to keep it.

PINEAPPLEFRENZY Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2012 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Great to Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Thought I'd update my review. Picked up the 450DLX from The Source here in Halifax. Paid $80 CDN for it. As far as I'm concerned it was money well spent. The first one went back with a weak speaker. They gladly replaced it with another and WOW! Rich, full sound!

The radio came firmly packaged and though the manual is a bit thin on info, all of the features are straight forward. I like having the option of turning off the audible tones and the keypad lights (more on the button lights later).

The big tuning dial is very comfortable and rotates with just the right amount of friction.

Well let's get to the important stuff:

We'll start with FM reception. All I can say is that every station comes in crystal clear, even distant stations. In "fast" tuning mode the frequency changes in .1 MHz increments. In "slow" mode it changes in .01 MHz increments. Even though tuning is digital, the radio sweeps through the frequencies with the smoothness of a paddle slicing the surface of a virgin lake. Very nice. To truly appreciate the excellent FM reception on the 450DLX however, one needs to plug in a good set of headphones. Stereo FM performance is very pleasing. Better than many home stereos.

Since Halifax is void of local AM stations :( AM really doesn't get to shine until after sunset. But then one really comes to appreciate this radio's capability. In my aluminum sided, Faraday cage of a house, I clearly pick up stations from Boston, New York City, and Washington DC almost every night. With my 2' X 2' home brew box loop antenna hooked into the AM ANT / GND jacks, I can pick up even more. The RF gain dial is powerful and, along with the DX/Local switch, helps a lot when trying to squeeze out a weak station from the mud. I can't effectively assess the noise floor for this radio because of local RFI. Suffice it to say however, I'm convinced that given the right location, the 450DLX is a hardy AM DX performer. A note on the keypad lights. They cause some minor RFI when lit. Not too annoying, but noticeable. The DC adapter too causes a bit of RFI in AM. That's okay though because 6 D-Cells will power this baby for weeks.

On to SW. Amazing! The 450DLX is very sensitive, especially with any kind of antenna attached, but again the RF gain dial and DX/Local switch make managing excess signal fun. The whip antenna is quite sufficient for my needs. But with the right external antenna and a good ground, again I'm convinced this radio will punch above it's price range.

I found the radio felt a bit cheap when I first got it, but I couldn't figure out why. Then after getting frustrated with the radio's bare bottom sliding all over my glass desk, I installed rubber feet. All of a sudden it went from feeling like a cheap and "plasticy" item to a solid instrument. The feet remove the hollow plastic "clunk" when I put the radio down. Very cool.

Another feature I like is having the option to digitally lock the tuning dial by pressing the "stop" button. At first I couldn't figure out a reason to have this button available. Then I picked up the radio and carried it across the room while it was on. After repeatedly bumping the dial and losing the station, I found a use for the "stop" button after all. Nice touch.

I've now owned it for the better part of a year. Some of the knobs (especially the RF Gain knob) feel a little looser now. Overall the feeling of the radio is a bit cheap. But that's okay. For me this radio is a keeper. It's great entry level SW / AM DX radio with excellent FM performance.

PROS:

Great FM performance.
Great AM and SWL performance.
Nice big speaker, rich sound.
Lots of features.

CONS:
Noisy keypad lights (minor).
No feet on the bottom (meh).
Thin manual.
Cheap feel.

Even with the cons listed above I give this radio a 4 out of 5 because it sounds so good. Isn't that what a radio should do?