Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | JT65-HF Help

Reviews Summary for JT65-HF
JT65-HF Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $0.00
Description: Amateur Radio software for reception/transmission of JT65A protocol with an emphasis upon its usage in the High Frequency Amateur Bands (price $0.00 FREE).

JT65a HF Frequencies:

1838-160m 3576-80m 7039,7076-40m 10139,10147-30m 14076-20m 18102,18106-17m 21076-15m 24920-12m 28076-10m
Additional Related Links:
More info: http://jt65-hf.sourceforge.net/

You can write your own review of the JT65-HF.

KX5JT Rating: 3/5 Nov 21, 2014 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Some good things some bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I prefer WSJT-X. I want to like this software. I like the idea and the presentation part of it. I like the callsigns on the waterfall signals. That is pretty neat.

I don't like the fact that the one is pretty much locked into a particular window width and can't resize it for large screens. If there is a way to do so I could not find it anywhere. I do not like the fact that in the RX/TX decode lines, the font is not resizable or changeable. Also, I am having mixed results on the decode, sometimes I clearly SEE signals on the waterfall but they do not decode. Also, there is no JT-9?

All of the cons part of my review are more than taken care of in WSJT-x.

KI0QS Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2014 18:39 Send this review to a friend
JT65-HF-HB9HQX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would echo the review of VE5MDH. This is a wonderful interface for JT65. I have used the others and this one beats them. I also enjoy the mode. I recently moved into a HOA area and antennas are limited. Using a 50 foot wire stapled to the top of a six foot fence with a counterpoise stapled to the bottom I worked Antarctica on 20 meters running 10 watts. Now have moved up to MFJ 1786 and having a ball. Some time ago I recommended JT65 to a handiham with speech difficulties and typing difficulties and he has been working the world with JT65. Not for everyone, but for me a lot of fun. Besides the XYL loves it in our small house.

N0FPE Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2014 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
while the software is ok I find the mode to be BORING. So slow..I guess if you are into no interaction with other operators and no actual conversations this is the mode for you.
Just not for me. I deleted the software and will not be back. Kind of reminds me of CQ100 or Hamsphere...To each their own! Just not my cup of tea.

VE5MDH Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Mode!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use JT65-HF by Beat, HB9HQX. His version is simply put, the finest. Beat's version of JT65-HF is still in Beta mode, but I have been using it since the beginning of February 14 with awesome results!

First off, I have WSJT6, WSJT-x, JT65-HF & JT65-HF HB9HQX on my computer, and have tried all formats.

HB9HQX's as I mentioned earlier is the most User-Friendly for the newbie. With WSJT, my brain just can't understand how to function it correctly.

Now, I do live in the sticks, and my nearest HAM is about 100km from my QTH, so having an Elmer to assist me is not very simple. My Elmer was WA0AM! Who took his time to ensure I was set on the right track via the internet. Thanks Michael!

Back to the software now...

I have been active on 20m JT65 since 13 December, 2013. Here is my tally:

20m JT65 QSO's: 990
Unique Callsigns (No Dupes): 830
Grid Squares Worked: 302
DXCC's: 25
Best DX: TR8CA in JJ40ql! (That's 11,759km!)

JT65a Awards:
WAS: 20m JT65 - Today! Woo Hoo! (31 March, 2014)
eWAS: 20m JT65a - Today! (Just waiting for N1DN to confirm our QSO)

The VE5MDH Station:
Yaesu FT920
Daiwa CN-101 SWR & Power Meter (Used to ensure I am around 8w Output (12w for the distant DX that I don't want to miss!)
Signalink USB
Acer Aspire Laptop w/ 2 27" Monitors via...
Matrox DualHead2Go Video Splitter
Antenna: 20m Dipole set as an Inverted V ~20ft in the air.

Conclusion:

Since I started using JT65-HF software, I have had the volume set to zero on my radio! This way, I can run the software around the clock without disturbing the XYL.

JT65-HF (any version/mode of JT65a) is a time kller to say the least. Best way I have seen it displayed is "Its the best way to watch your life slowly die 5 minutes at a time". Yes, it is a time killer of your life, but it keeps the wife happy by not hearing me scream at the top of my lungs (as per 6m Contests, which I do miss!).

Is it FOOLPROOF? No, there is the odd failed decode, and yes, I do agree, it always seems to occur just when you want it most! (I have figured simple work-arounds this issue). Also, I get frustrated when I click a callsign, get distracted, and as the minute goes by, the TX HALT button gets timed out and returns to TX ENABLE, hence, the next minute when you think your going to TX, you are dead silent unless you are on top of it. Once again, just when you don't expect it to happen, it does.

I like my version of the software due to the fact that I can tell it what I want to see, and how I want to see, and I can also set it up to alert me of certain activity, and have it play CW code just how I want to hear it.

Would I recommend it? I sure would! Too bad there are no Hams to be found around here! I do believe(for the time being) I am the only Radio Amateur activating Saskatchewan. And that is a SHAME! But the good thing is I am very active (well at least until I can work my WPX Award!, then its off to another band to do it all over again!)... 85 more for my ePFX300

Cons:
There is only 1, really. And that the software lacks a Users Guide. Beat is NOT English, so if you want to help Beat out, write your own notes, send them to Beat, and I'm sure he will include your findings with future versions of his software!

With JT65 getting to be very popular, I think someone should consider a second frequency on 20m as on the weekends, there are just too many bottlenecks (QRM) pushing you out of completing QSO's, which is just a shame. And that has nothing to do with the software, just the situation the software puts you into.

Watching the DX fly right overhead and land into the MidWest... Now that just SUCKS! But once again, nothing to do with the software... Obvious it is antenna issues. I understand (Boo Hoo).

Oh, BTW... As I was writing this, I was able to work RA0ZIJ in QO92! Have you worked Sandro via a 20m Dipole 20' in the air?

Thanks to Joe, Joe & Beat for your time developing this wonderful mode & software.

So, if you are looking into getting involved with the JT65 Digital Mode, then I can only recommend JT65-HF by HB9HQX!

K6AEP Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 20:05 Send this review to a friend
JT-65 running on Linux  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using JT-65-HF for about 6 months and love the software. Have made about 650 QSO's since Jan 2013 with a non-resonant wire antenna, about 20 feet high. My only gripe with JT-65-HF is that it is a Windows program. I am a Linux Mint 14/15 user. I recently found a way to run JT-65 HF on Linux. I can run FLDIGI and Xastir linux versions of software at the same time running in three virtual Linux Windows on the same computer using three rigs. I placed a PDF file on our Club Web Page on how it did it. If you are interested have a read.

Clay K6AEP

WB0UWG Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Interesting  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I Have used this with a 50ft wire to work 30 countries with 20 watts in the past 3 months of intermittent use. I use a signalink USB (rigblaster works good too) and my windows laptop. Took a bit of fiddling to get setup, but works reliably now. The Qso are short and mechanical, but somedays thats all I have time for anyhow.

K8CXM Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2013 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful FREE software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a JT65HF user for several years, and have never run more the 15 watts. So far, I have 60+ countries worked with it. Best contact was with a G3 on 80 one winter evening. I couldn't see anything on the waterfall nor could I hear anything, but we had an end to end contact. Can you work good DX with JT65? How about YJ0, DU1, UN7 and HS0?
Lazy man's way to get on the radio, but fun none the less. Great if you are in a deed restricted neighborhood.

TTOMAS59 Rating: 2/5 Apr 15, 2013 10:24 Send this review to a friend
SRI NO DCD  Time owned: more than 12 months
This program will not decode often when I wish it most. Reboot, reset the clock, destroy the computer and buy another.....Why it decodes sometimes and not others is one of lifes many mysteries.

G0DNI Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2012 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good low power communication mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I run about 2 watts from a Yaesu FT-817ND (rig set to 2.5W and audio input to rig via Singnalink USB set so that there are no ALC bars).

Antenna is either a G Whip end-fed resonant wire or G Whip 'Widebander' multi-band wire.

Performance of this modest setup is quite staggering. My main band of choice is 20M (14.076) and best results often occur along the 'grey line'. Bearing in mind that with JT65A, you either have 100% copy or nothing at all and that signal reports are generated by the JT65-HF software, so they should be fairly accurate. Contacts at 600 to 1000 miles into Europe from the UK are fairly routine, with contacts out to 2500 miles being a pleasing but not unusual catch.

Most of my USA contacts have been East Coast stations along the grey line, and best DX to date is a YV6 (Venezuela 4,500 miles) and LU8 (Argentina 6,900 miles) - both using the FT-817ND and about 2 watts.

One of the great advantages with this mode is that you can use PSK Reporter (do a Google search for details) to see just were your signals are being picked up. PSK Reporter does also show you the stations you are receiving, but this is only of academic interest if stations in that geographical area are not picking up your signal.

Two superb utilities to aid operating JT-65A using the JT65-HF software are JT-Alert and JT-Macros (again Google will find these).

Yes, the software does decode signals that I can neither hear or see on the waterfall - just had a decode as I type this, an LW2 (Argentina) on 10M (28.076) and there is nothing showing on the waterfall and all I can hear is white noise!

Not a mode for everybody, but extremely satisfying and can be conducted without causing 'local' QRM and disturbing the XYL!

TTOMAS59 Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2012 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
JT-65-HF works much better than WSJT to begin with. The latter software reminds me a lot of HRD in that they are always making changes which lessen the functionality of it. No so with this program.

Regarding the mode itself the claims of very weak signal decoding is overrated. I live in Florida where working the far east and vk are almost impossible without a beam antenna. I went into this mode hoping my chances would improve towards those areas of the globe. Not so. I occasionally see their traces on the waterfall but they still don't come back to my call. CW is still my go to mode for adding to my countries count.