Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Unadilla W2AU/W2VS Multiband Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Unadilla W2AU/W2VS Multiband Dipole
Unadilla W2AU/W2VS Multiband Dipole Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $85
Description: This is a W2AU balun used in conjunction with the Unidilla traps. While the traps are available for all HF bands from 80M through 10M, this antenna is based on the 80/40M trap dipole design found in the ARRL Handbook. The W2AU balun is used with a pair of 40M traps to create a multiband dipole antenna capable of operating on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. It is approximately 110 feet in length and provides a relatively low SWR on these bands.
More info: http://www.unadilla.com

You can write your own review of the Unadilla W2AU/W2VS Multiband Dipole.

WU8P Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2007 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well made. works great and good buy.

W8WLC Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2006 04:22 Send this review to a friend
excellant buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Wife and I have an agreement about the backyard, its all mine for fall and winter and her's in the spring and summer for landscaping and planting projects.Since her projects end up better looking than my aluminum ones, every spring I remove my vertical and other antennas and replace them with a simple antenna. I had owned one of these antennas about 16 years ago, so decided to get another as one feedline for two bands sounded good. Assembly is a no brainer and tune up a snap. I will say if you run legal limit you could very well find a blown trap but for power levels to 1 KW output I would say your safe. Appearance is easy on the eyes.

WB5FNW Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2005 07:40 Send this review to a friend
had one for over 20 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I believe that the W2AU/W2VS 15m meter thru 80 meter antenna I have had using Unadilla blue traps since 1984 has served me very well - recently took the old antenna apart to clean it up, put new wiring, and see if the traps work - had a 40 meter inv vee up at 35 feet, added the KW40 blue traps, and added 24 ft 3 inches after the KW40's and had great SWR and reports on 80 CW for the 21 year old traps - only the KW20 20 meter traps were needing some TLC. The KW30's and KW15's look great, and I'll use them on one of my other antennas. When your needs change, you can recycle the traps, that's good news.

KA4VAF Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2005 06:24 Send this review to a friend
A solid Multi-band Dipole That Performs as Advertised.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for an inexpensive multi-band dipole and the W2AU/W2VS seemed to fit the bill. It is resonant at 40M and 80M and the manufacturer says expect higher SWRs on 10 thru 20. But it tunes up nicely with the automatic tuner in my FT-990. I've got nothing but good reports and had no problems with just the 40 and 80 traps. I'm using it with the #14 stranded wire provided by the Unadeilla. It has held up well in storms here in Virginia with winds gusting up to 50 MPH or so. I'm very happy with it, but I probably will pull it down this summer, heatshrink the traps to better protect them from the weather and add a 15M and 20M trap to improve performance. I would recommend this as a great antenna for any HAM looking for an antenna that performs well and doesn't cost an arm and leg.

WA6CDE Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2004 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Old is good....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Through the years I have used many a antenna... and none is better than the 80-10 trapped dipole made by Unadilla. I have used it as a vert (only one side strung up into a tree) as well as my favored...the inverted V. By using the complete set of traps I find that you can forget the antenna turner and its losses... it doesn't get any better than this. As to the burning out of them... I had one that arc'ed but, that was due to the bird stuff... I now cover it with some clear heat shrink and they stay nice and new looking inside. I highly recomend them to any new /old ham... as the basic best antenna you will use. the companys service has been outstanding and all while fighting off the copy cats from across the big pond. As to wire for the antenna... I found that old cable TV coax works great... if you use the outside sheilding for the radiator... its strong, tough and stands up to the weather. Other wire I have used is the standard Radio Shack 7... copper.. which does oxidize after a while... but, follow the instructions, wrap, and attach as directed and it will be a antenna that will stand the test of time... and some storms... while old... they still out preform any other one made. G.M>

VE2DC Rating: 2/5 Dec 20, 2003 00:10 Send this review to a friend
OK but not for high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
Regarding my previous review:
One of the 75M traps finally failed. These traps have experienced 100% failure rate here. I think the old syle (brown) traps seemed to be more reliable than their newer (blue) traps.

VE2DC Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2003 14:54 Send this review to a friend
OK but not for high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
After blowing up a few pairs of their 40M traps... I would caution against trying to use them with high power even they are supposedly rated for it. Interestingly, a pair of 75M traps I have used for years from the same manufacturer have been trouble free.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2000 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive and effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
For years the Amateur Electronic Supply catalog has included the products listed under W2AU (Unadilla) name. The W2AU balun has been a mainstay of their catalog and same for the traps that are listed under this product line. One of their offerings is the W2AU/W2VS multiband antenna. This is basically an 80/40M trap dipole that achieves dual band coverage through the utilization of a pair 40 meter traps with the W2AU balun. As described in the ARRL Handbook under trap antennas, this trap dipole will also work well on the 20, 15 and 10 meter bands with relatively low SWR. Some years ago I installed this antenna at my QTH at about 35 feet and while I primarily use it on the 80 and 40 meter bands, I have also used it as a backup antenna on 20, 15 and 10 with good success. The automatic antenna tuners in my HF rig and linear amp have no problem finding a match on each of these bands. The only difficulty they seem to run into is finding a match on the low end of 80M, but since the antenna is cut to resonate in the SSB section of the band, this does not surprise me. Last winter I worked all states on 75M phone to earn my GERITOL certificate. On 40M I have worked all continents with it. I have also not had any problems with TVI on any band which I suspect is due to the W2AU balun being part of the antenna. Many DX contacts have also been made on 20 through 10 meters as well. I am very pleased with the quality of the balun and traps in that I have had no problems with this antenna, even in the most severe weather.