Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-30 microphone Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-30 microphone
ICOM SM-30 microphone Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $195
Description: Compact, lightweight goose-neck style desktop electret microphone with low cut function

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-30 microphone.

SM6XUN Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2016 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Universal  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the SM-30 for a few years now, first on my IC-7200, IC-7410 then TenTec 516 with an adapter and now the IC-7300,
I change radios more often than desktop microphones.
Good quality, it sounds good and it's Heavy enough to stay on the table.
I actually can not find a single complaint.
K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Stellar Reports...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In 26 years of SSB radio, I've only received excellent unsolicited audio reports twice. The first time was when I got a wild hair to hook up an ElectroVoice RE11 stage mic to my then new Kenwood TS-570. I recall there were some eq capabilities with the rig, and I was told many times that the audio was great. After I got rid of that radio, I used the stock hand mic on everything I owned.

Just before stores ran out of the Icom 7200, I pulled the trigger on one, realizing that the stock mic had a reputation for sounding terrible. It did not disappoint from that report.

So I started seeking advice on what mic to use with the new 7200. I wrote Heil and asked their opinions, as well as posting a question here on this forum. Several noted that the SM-30 sounded superb with the 7200, so I ordered one. It was either the first or second QSO that I got an unsolicited audio 'attaboy', and many more since then.

So I guess this review is really the reports of quite a number of other hams who bothered to tell me about the good audio of the SM-30. There is no eq potential with the IC-7200 on board. I keep the mic at normal bass with the switch at the bottom, and run the processor on and the mic gain fairly high. No reports of over modulation.

In time, I may be tempted to play again with some of the studio or stage mice I have hanging around. But for now, the little SM-30 is doing wonderful.
K3KRN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
works great with the ic-7410. highly recommend.
KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mic DX or ragchew  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Icom 7410 has monitor built in so I was instantly horrified by the sounds I created just holding the fist mic.I decided to try the SM-30 to reduce the noise...and boy was it ever a good choice!The DX in the window on 80 thought I had improved my antenna and ragchews netted great audio reports.It is a perfect match for the 7410...and I am frankly amazed at how much better it is than the stock mic.An absolute must buy for Icom owners in my opinion.I thought it was expensive when I bought it...but in retrospect it is worth every penny and then some.

Excellent mic......very highly recommended!!!!
W1BG Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Works Great on The Kenwood TS-590 Too!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, of course a little rewiring is needed, but for those of you in possession of a soldering iron, it's easily done. Could probably use a 10db pad tho, as I had to turn the mic preamp almost completely off. Good audio reports.
EA5IGO Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2015 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Micro muy bueno  Time owned: more than 12 months
Funciona estupendamente con mi IC 7100
W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2015 01:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mic on Icom 7100  Time owned: more than 12 months
Upgraded to the Icom 7100 operating in the ssb, dv, and fm modes. Mic gain setting at on the transciver 10% provides excellent audio.
W6QT Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2015 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Plug and Play  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
One of the best desk microphones I've ever used. I operate overseas as DU3/W6QT. Many DX contacts compliment the sound of this mic on the air. Punches through rough conditions and QSN. A real winner. Highly recommend this mic for your Icom radio.
AD0AR Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2015 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Great sound but with some minor flaws  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to admit that I work more digital modes than voice, but when I got my IC-7600 package, I purchased this SM-30 as after reading all the poor reviews of the dreaded fist mic that came included with the radio.
I knew I needed something better than that fist mic, but yet affordable while consuming relatively little space on the highly valued desktop real estate.
While the audio quality has been fine, I do find that without installing a proper windscreen you can generate some serious wind *POPS* when talking. ALC kicks in, and I see my peak power drop by half when this happens.
Installing a foam windscreen on the mic alleviated all of the wind pop issues.
Also if you aren't using VOX, be prepared to field some unsolicited comments on the noise generated by pressing the talk button. Mine makes a tiny, almost inaudible "creak" which must be being amplified quite substantially for all the "what the heck is that noise???" comments. I fixed this by disassembling the mic and cutting a piece of ESD (electro-static-discharge) foam to fit into the back side of the button. Problem solved, but now you really need to press much harder to activate the PTT.
Now after the modifications, the mic is super and awaits for when I will get back into some voice modes.
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
73 de AD0AR
W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2015 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Agree  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with K5ML.

I use my SM30 on my ID880H D-Star transceiver that is set up as my VHF/UHF base station. The only complaint I have is that the mic requires a $36 modular adapter to connect to the unit.

The audio of this mic is an improvement over the stock microphone on FM.

A nice accessory for any Icom unit.