Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-30 microphone Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-30 microphone
ICOM SM-30 microphone Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $195
Description: Compact, lightweight goose-neck style desktop electret microphone with low cut function
More info: http://icomamerica.com/en/amateur/

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-30 microphone.

KD2FJM Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Sleek, well built and functional.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one of these for my IC-706 MKIIG and my first QSO after installing was on 10 meter SSB with a fine fellow from the Seattle area. Great audio reports. Sleek design and doesn't take up much space on my desk which is great for me since I'm always jotting down notes.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2013 19:21 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this for my ICOM IC7800 as a replacement for my 20 year old SM8.

It matches the rig perfectly and performs perfect.

Good job ICOM.

MM

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using my IC SM-30 with an IC-7200 radio. It works great. I just turned the gain up to about 3/4, for the heck of it, and everything on the radio is set at default. Nothing else to do but enjoy. It also works perfectly with an IC 703 Plus which I just sold. I have a very expensive HEIL PR 40. I made adjustments to bass and treble and compression, as stated by Bob. It works well, but my little SM-30 does a really great job, too. One of the best....

KE4ZUN Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 17:00 Send this review to a friend
ICSM30  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to go with my Ic7000 and I have been getting excellent signal reports.

KB3ZIM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2013 10:32 Send this review to a friend
SM-30 is Super!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an Icom IC-910H transceiver with which I've used both the stock OEM hand mic and a Heil HMM hand mic. I was told either mic sounded just fine. However, I wanted a desk mic for a bit more convenience in operating, and since the officially-listed optional Icom SM-20 desk mic is no longer available and replaced by the SM-30, I thought I'd give the SM-30 a try. On the first day I put the SM-30 in service, I began receiving many unsolicited reports of terrific audio! I left the gain setting on the mic base just as it came from the factory. Its small size and good-looking design also get high marks.

Some may think this mic is a bit expensive, but believe me, it's true: "you get what you pay for." I believe this mic is worth every penny! I could not be more satisfied with this purchase, and according to those who listen to my transmissions, they're quite satisfied as well!

I've been planning to install a high-end, aftermarket boom-mounted mic (talk about "pricey") to use with my Icom IC-7600, but now I believe I'm going to instead wire-up an A/B mic switch and use the SM-30 with both of my Icom transceivers. Compared to a fancy aftermarket boom-mounted setup, the SM-30 is a bargain! 7 3

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2013 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Better than HM-36 with Ic7200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had HM-36 that came with my IC-7200 - mic gain at 100% - still did not peak out ALC reading with comp at 5, ALC looked good. The SM-30 is a much hotter mic, mic gain now at 75 and Comp at 3.SM-30 Mic is light, not heavy like MC-60 Kenwood. Mic gain pot on bottom, left as came out of the box at 9 o'clock. Low cut switch seems to work good when desired. Can overdrive ALC on meter with no distortion noted by contacts. 73 K1WJ David

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2013 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have an SM-30 and tisk it's agreat mic. I bought an ICOM 7410 in October of 2011 and needed a new mic to go with it. The SM-30 was small and didn't look like it would take up too much roomon the desk so I got it. I get great audio reports and am tol there is little difference between my Heil Proset and the SM-30. I use VOX a lot and the one issue is that any "bump" on the desk keys the VOX- but that will happen with any desk mic. For $140 this mic will certainly do the job - I would recomend it. I have replaced the sm-30 with a Heil PR-781 on a boom (just to make room on my limitted space desk) but have been using the SM-30 with my newly aquired Icom IC-251A - It works great!...Old meets new!

W6KM Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2012 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Have used the Mic for several months now and find it excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am surprised that I have not run across many Icom users, using this Mic. I am running it with an IC-7600 with good results. With the ability to choose between cut off of lows for DX'n and difficult conditions or normal for easy rag chewing. Perhaps it is only me, but so many hams think "Custom made Mics and outboard devices" are required to run their rigs. This Mic will stand up to almost all of the crazy ideas out there. I have found it a bit expensive for what it is but in the end I give it a big 5

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2012 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Icom Scores Again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom scores again with this wonder mic !

I have always used an SM-20 with my radios, and although it is a very good mic it picks up a great deal of background noise no matter how i adjust the mic gain.

This is where the new range of microphones suceed

I traded the SM-20, and got a SM-50, and the audio reports were nothing short of fantastic.

So I got a SM-30, for my other radio, and guess what, the audio compliments came rolling in, without even asking for a report.

The range of newer SM microphones certainly do the business for me, so its a 5 !!!

G0UOO Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2012 09:21 Send this review to a friend
A good mike.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use an SM-30 with my IC-7200, and it's a BIG improvement on the standard fist mike. I often get good reports on the audio without asking. It's small and doesn't get in the way on my desk. However, I think it's a bit expensive, so a 4 instead of a 5.