Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-30 microphone Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-30 microphone
ICOM SM-30 microphone Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $195
Description: Compact, lightweight goose-neck style desktop electret microphone with low cut function
More info: http://icomamerica.com/en/amateur/

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-30 microphone.

N5AS Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2017 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just replaced my old SM-6 with this SM-30. Received the best audio reports ever from the critical bunch that I chat with daily on my IC-756ProII. This is why I rated it a 5. Even better than the Gold Line GM-5. No mic clicks/noise reported.

The Up/Down buttons would be nice addition. Size is perfect for my desk, needed something with a small foot print.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2016 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Kept Simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very nice mic and a very affordable price. worked well with my ic-775dsp and works really well with my ic-7700
doesn't get much use as i am mostly on cw mode but when it is in use, i get great reports.

N1MXB Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2016 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two, excellent audio, correct size, good overall quality. No need to spend 300.oo dollars or more for a good mike.

G7HZZ Rating: 2/5 Nov 18, 2016 04:42 Send this review to a friend
Lousy ergonomics - sent it back  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I do not know how this microphone sounds - I do know that the way the Lock and Instant PTT buttons work is no use to me whatsoever. Hence my mark is 2/5, no more, no less.

The Instant PTT button is very large and placed at the front of the mic. base; however, the Lock is much smaller and is inconveniently placed behind it at the base of the goose-neck.

Some people may like this arrangement, but for me it is completely unacceptable. Many other microphones place the Instant and Locking buttons side by side in very logical and easy to use arrangement. It was possible to do this even with the SM-30's slim slim, lightweight (skimpy) design, but sacrificing function for style is not smart.

Other negative points are that the SM-30 does not have up/down scan buttons and Icom do not even suply a foam windshield costing pennies (let alone a free modular plug adapter) - skinflints!

The one I ordered by email was returned immediately so I am out of pocket for postage and really very disappointed with a microphone that has less functionality than an Adonis 308!

It will be a good buy for some people, but it's a good bye from me.

SM6XUN Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2016 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Universal  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the SM-30 for a few years now, first on my IC-7200, IC-7410 then TenTec 516 with an adapter and now the IC-7300,
I change radios more often than desktop microphones.
Good quality, it sounds good and it's Heavy enough to stay on the table.
I actually can not find a single complaint.

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Stellar Reports...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In 26 years of SSB radio, I've only received excellent unsolicited audio reports twice. The first time was when I got a wild hair to hook up an ElectroVoice RE11 stage mic to my then new Kenwood TS-570. I recall there were some eq capabilities with the rig, and I was told many times that the audio was great. After I got rid of that radio, I used the stock hand mic on everything I owned.

Just before stores ran out of the Icom 7200, I pulled the trigger on one, realizing that the stock mic had a reputation for sounding terrible. It did not disappoint from that report.

So I started seeking advice on what mic to use with the new 7200. I wrote Heil and asked their opinions, as well as posting a question here on this forum. Several noted that the SM-30 sounded superb with the 7200, so I ordered one. It was either the first or second QSO that I got an unsolicited audio 'attaboy', and many more since then.

So I guess this review is really the reports of quite a number of other hams who bothered to tell me about the good audio of the SM-30. There is no eq potential with the IC-7200 on board. I keep the mic at normal bass with the switch at the bottom, and run the processor on and the mic gain fairly high. No reports of over modulation.

In time, I may be tempted to play again with some of the studio or stage mice I have hanging around. But for now, the little SM-30 is doing wonderful.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
works great with the ic-7410. highly recommend.

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mic DX or ragchew  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Icom 7410 has monitor built in so I was instantly horrified by the sounds I created just holding the fist mic.I decided to try the SM-30 to reduce the noise...and boy was it ever a good choice!The DX in the window on 80 thought I had improved my antenna and ragchews netted great audio reports.It is a perfect match for the 7410...and I am frankly amazed at how much better it is than the stock mic.An absolute must buy for Icom owners in my opinion.I thought it was expensive when I bought it...but in retrospect it is worth every penny and then some.

Excellent mic......very highly recommended!!!!

W1BG Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Works Great on The Kenwood TS-590 Too!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, of course a little rewiring is needed, but for those of you in possession of a soldering iron, it's easily done. Could probably use a 10db pad tho, as I had to turn the mic preamp almost completely off. Good audio reports.

EA5IGO Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2015 04:49 Send this review to a friend