Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vizkey Camel Back Straight Key Help

Reviews Summary for Vizkey Camel Back Straight Key
Vizkey Camel Back Straight Key Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $148
Description: The Vizkey "Camel Back" is a modern interpretation of a vintage design. This key is constructed of solid brass and incorporates a reliable leaf spring.
More info: http://www.vizkey.com/

You can write your own review of the Vizkey Camel Back Straight Key.

K9NRW Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the camel back key in 2 days. It was every thing all the other reviews said it would be. Very solid and smooth to use. Any adjustment are easy to make. I can't say enough about this key.

Thanks Tom.

WK0X Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Functional, beautiful and American made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 34 years as a ham, and loving CW, I decided it was time to look for a high quality straight key. I've used various lower priced keys, and wanted a nice one to compliment my Vibroplex 2000 Blue Racer bug. I've never used any form of keyer, always preferring to "roll my own." Initially, I was leaning towards ordering a Bengali Blade or Spark model. However, while looking through the reviews on e-Ham, I noticed a key with perfect reviews. I found this rather odd, and decided to investigate further. I'm glad I did. For about half the price of the Bengalis, I decided to take a chance on the VisKey Camel Back.
This is an outstanding piece of craftsmanship. Not only does it perform as advertised, the appearance is stunning, with its machine textured solid brass finish. It stays put on the table, and the settings stay where you put them, as noted by previous reviewers.
Tom had set the pivot point screws nicely, so no adjustment was necessary. That left only the spring tension and contact spacing to fool with. Initially, I had some difficulty getting the key to feel exactly like I wanted. I then realized that the leaf spring tension has a slightly different "feel" as compared to the usual conical spring. To compensate for this, I opened up the contact spacing ever-so-slightly and the key started to sing. Solid as a rock, with no lateral movement.
Tom and I exchanged several e-mails, as he wanted to make sure the key arrived safely, and performed well. It most certainly did and has. I also discovered Tom is an ex submariner machinist mate. As an ex sub sailor myself, I can attest personally those guys can build of fix anything. If you are in the market for a straight key, you need to look no further.

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary Key !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one fantastic key. Craftsmanship is well above par. Straight-forward adjustments and they "hold". The key is heavy for its size and is very solid/stable

Tom is working out a solution for my "Navy-style knob" request and I am impressed with the solution.

Tom's customer service and Camel-Back key is excellent.

If you are looking to add a key to your station (collection) or to get your first key you will not go wrong with the VizKey Camel-Bank as your choice.

Nolan Kienitz
KI5IO
Plano, TX

KD4VQT Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2012 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This key is a masterpiece of craftsmanship. It arrived with one of his business cards between the contacts--perfect spacing. Its appearance is beautiful. The machine finishing on the key is just the right touch-always looks new each time I use it. It is so smooth that I can send good code with complete control. It takes the same force every time to make contact with the key. It has boosted my speed by atleast 3-5 wpm because of its smooth operation. It will keep the settings you set when you tighten the lock "nuts" down. I do not have to repeat the set up because it stays as you set it. I am a great beliver in "Made in the USA." and it lives up to that standard exactly! I will probably never search for a key to replace it. I could sing its praises all night. Get one and you will have a "friend for life." It takes up so little space on my desk and yet performs excellently. I wish I could give it a 5+, it is so good.

AK4LP Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First thing, Tom is great. I ordered the key and asked if he would provide a different style knob. He did so without any additional cost, which I greatly appreciated.

Second thing, Tom makes great keys! Besides being quite beautiful, this key works beautifully. I am very impressed with the workmanship, the adjustability, and the smoothness of operation.

I keep my key set so that it is almost touching the contact, and keep it pretty stiff. Once established, that setting has not budged a bit and I don't believe that it will.

Straight keys are fun, and the Vizkey Camel Back brings a smile to my face every time that I use it. I definitely recommend it.

N9EF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2012 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Very nice key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received the Vizkey today (two days USPS). After playing for just a short time I was very impressed. The key is solid, it doesn't move, and the feel is very solid. Almost every straight key I've tried has had a certain amount of "sponginess" or, even worse, lateral sloppiness. The Vizkey is absolutely solid with no sponginess or lateral motion at all. The keying is crisp and precise.

This is the second key that I've purchased from Tom. His workmanship and his customer service are both excellent.

ANG1942 Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2012 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Very well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my Vizkey Camel Back Straight Key only 2 days after ordering. Tom was very quick to
answer my questions. Very stable and without any sideplay or wobble.

If you are looking for a well made, good looking and smooth operating straight key, this is it.

N3WT Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2012 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid Feel, No Flex  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived two days after order. Tom even called me on the phone to answer a question.

I am a CW OP with quite a few keys. This is a very solid contact straight key, no flex with a very positive contact feel. The arm is rigid with the camel back shape, which is a very good thing. Easy to send at 20+wpm and still sound good, (well I think so anyway) but usually around 16wpm with a staight key. Any faster revert to bug or paddle.

This key is a solid chunk of brass, don't drop it on you toe.

Comparing this to a Bencher RJ-2, the RJ-2 feels like mush. The RJ-2 is just springy feel after using the Vizkey Camel-Back. Same with a J-38. The tension on the Vizkey is a brass leaf mechanism, which provides very positive feel. I prefer higher tension with minimal spacing, which is very possible with the Vizkey Camel-Back. No pounding needed, keeping thumb and finger on the key knob.

The key is larger than it appears in the picture on the Vizkey website.

I am quite pleased with Vizkey Camel-back, and the price is right too.

See you on SKCC frequencies. 73 #4965T

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 18:57 Send this review to a friend
GOOD WORKS,GOOD LOOKS!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Weighs enough, wotrksvery well, looks GREAT! Has engine turning. Tom is a FB guy.

AA4TZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2012 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Every now and then a product not only meets your expectations, but exceeds them. So it is with the Vizkey Camel Back straight key. This elegant key is a precision, all brass, hand made in America key that is a pleasure to look at and operate. It's heavy base does not slide around the bench. The adjustments are precise and hold perfectly. The engine turned finish is a thing of beauty. It operates smoothly with great feel.

Whether your first key or the addition to a multi key collection I highly recommend the Vizkey Camel Back.