Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 102 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

W4HM Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2017 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased two Icom IC-7410's new before they were discontinued. The rig is very well built, the main knobs and buttons are well laid out, it's called ergonomics. The main knobs and buttons are their on the front panel for easy access, which means no deep menu searching. The menu system itself is pretty simple and understandable.

The receiver is nothing short of amazing. It has excellent characteristics as far as 2 kHz spacing IMD, better than any other Icom rig I've ever owned, which includes a IC-718, IC-751A, IC-746 Pro, IC-756 Pro/2/3, IC-7300 and even my IC-7600. It's tied with the Kenwood TS-590/SG and very close to the Elecraft K3(S).

On transmit it produces very high quality audio that get's lot's of compliments. I use the Heilk iCM and HM-12 microphones

It's a great rig and it's a real shame that Icom discontinued it's production.

The rig is also great as an SWL'ng receiver with excellent performance on the LF and MF bands.

If I had one criticism it would be the monochrome screen but that's what it comes with!

KE0OHO Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2017 23:34 Send this review to a friend
A Sleeper of a Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Used off the Bay I could tell it had sat a lot by the slight dust settle on top of the big knob, I have had nothing but trouble-free operation. Iv owned 2) 746Pros that worked great but I wasent on HF yet!. The 7410 has a higher level of the systems in it, built into a heavier duty radio chassis and a smaller number of units sold, its not as popular as many others. Its a sleeper. Its a purchase that im very pleased with. Iv had many good reports in usb, using its 100 watts thru a LDS 100 watt tuner instead of the internal tuner, a Windom 133' dipole, my contacts have been typically using 300-600 watts. Doing very well in DSP using HRD. I would recommend this as a great second hand radio. Its been great for me.

KB9FMV Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2017 08:55 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING RIG  Time owned: months
I have to say after owning this rig for a year now I must say all features are excellent! I have a Yaesu FT 1000 MKV (200 WATT) version and its a good receiver but the 7410 is far better! The noise blanker eliminates almost all noise not like the MKV which leaves a lot to be desired! I also bought a I com 7300 and one review here said it is a different animal and they are so right! It is a good receiver but to my ear the 7410 is far better! The filtering is much better for the receiver! I would highly recommend you get this rig and attach a nice external speaker and you will be SUPRISED!

W3ULS Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 13:57 Send this review to a friend
QSK Fixed  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver fit most of my operating preferences before the 2014 mod, but with the factory mod I've found it now does QSK. Come to find out that not only did Icom fix the ALC overshoot in 2014, as advertised, they also quietly fixed the QSK (10 wpm formerly) problem so I now can hear between words at 25 wpm, which is all I need. And the T-R is ultra quiet.

One other thing. Unlike the IC-7600, this rig does not have an audio peak filter for CW. So I just set filter #3 at 100 Hz. No problem there.

This rig and the Yaesu FT-950 represented terrific value when in production, and they still do on the used market. You pays your money and makes your choice. I've kept the 7410, but YMMV.

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2017 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Buy one before its too late  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have posted 2 previous reviews of this transceiver and years down the track still have the same opinion, this is one of the best performance for price transceivers ever made!
Currently it appears Icom are discontinuing this model due to the release of the IC-7300 a while back.
Dealers still have stock of the IC-7410 for the amazing price of $1690 Australian dollars here in Australia equivilent to US$1350 with 5 year warranty.
I believe there are better deals in the USA.

As QST state in their initial review of the new 7410,
"The 7410 essentially shares the same internals as the IC-7600" ( without the scope and dual band receive minus some of the CW keying features,) QST the 2 tone IMD at 14mhz is "right on par with the higher tier IC-7800 in terms of IMD and they found blocking gain suppression superior to the IC 7600.
Also that "low band LW down to 30 khz the receiver is actually useable down in the VLF range adding that many receivers are actually pretty dead in that area!"
Given the current price this radio is superb value and it is disappointing to see it discontinued.
Advantages over other equally marketed rigs, -
huge cooling capacity-massive heatsink chassis.
Controls for vast majority of constantly used functions,
Very easy shallow menu for a multitude of other less used adjustments,
Very readable large display,
DSP 32 bit same as IC7700 and IC 7600
Beautiful tuning knob and excellent tuning speed selection.
ALC overshoot problem in early units corrected.
Excellent transmit audio tailoring.
Excellent quality looks and construction, controls have a firm smooth operation.
The size is that of a base unit and has presence and a solid attractive apperance.
The two optional roofing filters as supplied standard in the IC 7600 can be obtained from Japan via E'Pay for Aus$50.00 or US$40.00 each and are a simple plug in 5-8 minutes work.
They are a great addition, however the 7410 is a fine unit without them.
Icom Australia have stated that replacement parts for this so far very reliable unit will be available and for considerable time to come.

I accept that the IC-7300 is a fine unit however it is a different animal and will appeal to many!!

The IC-7410 has that old world solid, hands on presence many of us from prehistoric eras grew to know and love with performance and features that cost considerably more in the past.

I will state here that I am not neccessarily an Icom fan and do have a Yaesu FT 1000D, a Kenwood TS-480 Sat and 2 (Yes) IC-7410's set up inorder to have true dual receive /transmit for 2/3rds the price of an IC-7600.
I can live without the screen however as stated previously it is possible to use a PC screen to obtain a similar experience with an outboard dongle etc as described elsewhere.
My oldest 7410 is now 5 years old and the other 3 they have been very reliable wit a sticky external speaker jack being the only problem!

LA5LTA Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2017 08:36 Send this review to a friend
incredible radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this in early 2012 and have been using it since

It is an amazing transceiver
The receiver is incredible good
i have all the optional roofing filters installed
Have been using it for dx and receiving weak signals and filtering out noise and interference is a charm whit this rig

I have had the mod for the SSB overshoot problem for the early production
Icom fixed it on warranty no problem there

It preforms very well and outperforms a lot of radios when you put them side by side and listen to weak signals
The receive is awesome

Highly recommend this rig for any user looking for value for the money

Operating this with the controls laid out logically is a charm

Highly recommended

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2017 05:04 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RECEIVER   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just wanted to add a brief note on the Icom Ic 7410 ! I knew it was a great receiver but I added an external speaker from an old surround sound system and WOW its a terrific sound !!!!! try it !

N7SOC Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Another ICOM great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like K3KRN said: this radio is big, heavy and bad!! got to get a new radio and got down to the 7410 and the 7300. went with this as it is BIG with big heat sink and has a big screen. would have liked color but don't need it. What helped with the decision is that the 7410 has KNOBS. As the bands change I am always tweaking the signal: KNOBS are important!! A good value with the rebate. The specs and operations are as others have said. I'm a very happy ham!!!

W6SWO Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2016 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Effective  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned my 7410 for a few months now, and I am TOTALLY satisfied with it. The controls are laid out logically and are easy to understand. The display is bright and clear and not unnecessarily complicated. The "Set Menu" lets you access additional features and tweak the radio to your preferences, but it's easy to navigate through and not as confusing and hundreds of items deep like my old Yaesu Mk5 Field. The receiver is sensitive, and contacts report great audio. I have the CW filter installed and that gives a nice selection of filters and controls to home in on CW signals.

The internal tuner is fast and mostly adequate, but when I hooked up an external AH-4 tuner, it VASTLY outperformed the internal tuner and got me a 1:1 match on every band.

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 16:26 Send this review to a friend
WOW BEATS THE YEASE FTDX 3000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to say I went to HRO in Wi to try out the YAESU FTDX 3000 and the Icom Ic 7410 back in the summer when they became HRO . I tried both rigs and pretty much settled on the 7410! Sad to say Icom discontinued the 7410 and I came across a real deal from Associated Radio in Kansas! Well I got this as a Christmas gift and wow! The receiver is better than my Yaesu MK V 200 watt rig and better than my Kenwood TS 2000 which really is saying much ! I was surprised that when I tried the Yaesu FTD 3000 that the receiver wasn't as quite as good as the Icom 7410 ! I also own a Yaesu FT 1000 field and did own a Yaesu FT 2000 which I sold because the receiver was horrible! I know Icom discontinued the 7410 for the 7300 but In my opinion the 7410 with all the filtering and options it is one of the best receivers I am now proud to say I own! At one time I owned and Icom 746 and 756 pro and thought they were ok rigs !So if your a Yaesu man like me try the 7410 great transmit audio but hands down one of the best receivers around !