Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With a QST review that said "competent" how could I go wrong?

Still I had a very good experience with my trusty 706-2g and my antenna tuner is integrated into my setup here and icom specific - so for the price range this was the way to go.

I'm glad I did. The receiver sounds very good. The noise blanker mutes the occasional powerline-hash-like noise that comes up here from time to time with ease. The noise reduction has helped me discern call signs buried well below the noise level. Most of the time it sounds just fine without using these at all though.

The transmitter was another reason behind my choice. I've had very good luck with icoms so far and like the sound of them on the air. There are some very expensive radios out there with supposedly great receivers but I'm not a fan of how they sound on transmit. I adjusted my audio as laid out in the manual and regularly get unsolicited audio reports.

The menu isn't difficult. I customized the noise blanker and filters a little but rarely go back in to change anything. There's a knob or button for everything you need often.

Along with the band sweep feature - which works a lot better than I thought it would - there's an SWR sweep feature. now THAT is cool. You can get an SWR graph of your antenna for a given band just like an analyzer. It works good.

One of the club members asked me if there was anything I would change about it if I could when I first got it. I can't think of anything. It's a great radio.

Any questions feel free to email me. Address is current on QRZ.

WV4M Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Best HF rig I have owned in 42 years as a ham  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a used IC-7410 and could not be happier with it. I upgraded from another great radio, the IC-756 Pro III. This radio has a nice quiet receiver able to knock down my rather high power line noise and has great ergonomics. I am especially happy with the new technology of USB connectivity...I use it with Ham Radio Deluxe and no longer need a box sitting on top of the rig for the digital modes, just the USB hookup. My first Icom was a Japanese model IC-750 I bought in Okinawa back in the early 80s. I have owned many Icoms since then and only one did not meet my expectations, the IC-7000, which I replaced with the IC-706MKIIG that I currently use mobile. The price for the rig was very good for what you get. I don't really need the fancy color displays. This one is quite good. I would highly recommend this rig to any ham, new or old, looking for the best rig for the money.

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2014 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Superb value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned and operated the IC 7410 for 3 years now and it has restored my faith in modern DSP tranceivers. I fitted both the 6 and 3 khz roofing filters from new, (well why not at the special rate of $50 AUS each) it was a bargain.
The size of the rig and the smoothness of the tuning knob is great, Most controls regularly used are on the front panel, dial up output contol, the big screen is an easy read for those of us advancing in age with deteriorating eyesight.
but the real beauty for me in this rig is a superb receiver, it quiet, it sensitive and the twin bandwidth controls with 3 roofing filters give almost limitless possibilities.
I'm one of those receiver buffs, who collect too many, listen more than I transmit and remember back to my Hallicrafters SX-130, SR400, Drake SW4a... you get the message.
My shack has wired up to the antenna /rig selector an Icom R71 A, JRC NRD535, IC 718, IC 7200, IC 765 and the IC 7410.Others are in boxes under the bench.The 7410 has a sound more like that of earlier analogues and the DSP is very good, as good as I have heard. It does as does any receiver i've tried improve with a BHI NEIM 1013 outboard AF DSP. My location is very quiet electrically and 50 miles from the nearest town, I run a standalone solar system and with a 1000a/h batteries run my station pure DC (also because the AC inverters introduce some RFI)
So I can't compare close strong signal attributes but comparing sensitivity and clarity of speech it compares very favorably against the JRC and has an edge against the IC-765 a transceiver I believe is one of the best of the Icoms and is here to stay.
Of course there are menus but considering the amount of tailoring options this unit offers that isn't surprising.
Good feedback on transmit, contouring of sound on transmit, Punchy audio I'm told.
But ultimately its one of those radios that just looks , sounds and feels good, ergonomically very good and best of all great value!

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Built like a Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an Icom 7410. The first thing I noticed is the normal sized knobs. Not tiny toy- like knobs but man sized knobs. The layout of the controls is great and the ergonomics make me wish I would have tried this radio sooner.

I have owned the ts-590, ftdx3000, and now the Icom 7410. I sold the 590 and 3000 to buy this radio and I have no regrets. The receiver is comparable in all three but the Icom is so much more refined than the Yaesu and Kenwood. All three radios do a great job but for ease of use and a solid build the Icom wins.

The bandscope does a much better job than I was expecting. The tuner is silent. The Yaesu and Kenwood tuners could wake the dead.

The Twin PBT controls are fantastic and the big display is so welcome. The radio plays great if you are into SWL'ing and MW dx'ing. The audio is pleasant when listening to these AM stations.

Many of the features are fully customizable. I did not realize that when I bought the radio. Once again I was pleasantly surprised.

At this point I have not added the two extra roofing filters. If this radio is reliable and keeps performing I will definitely be adding those filters.

The price keeps going down on the Icom 7410 too! At it's current price point of 1500.00 US it is an excellent value. I absolutely love the radio so far. I hope it's the beginning of a long relationship. Something that I couldn't get with previous radios.

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Epic DX machine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first ever radio with IF DSP...I have been waiting years to no avail for a 32 bit A/D converter to be introduced and the QRM at my QTH just keeps getting worse.It was time to act! I wanted a rig that would be superior from lf up and had excellent ergonomics.I did not want to pay for a band scope...I just wanted an excellent receiver without asinine amounts of menu navigation...I prefer dedicated controls.And i really,really needed a good NB and NR.
As you might guess I think the 7410 fits my needs exactly.The NB destroys the powerline S9+ hash completely...so totally at first I thought it was a malfunction...I kept turning it on and off...and my mouth gaped in amazement.The NR is also ridiculously effective.The manual notch and Auto notch are also excellent.
I now have the best S/N ratio I have ever had at this QTH...it is an entirely different world.
I own a few excellent receivers...but this rig is peerless.Audio is wonderful and I can listen all day without fatigue,
It transmits beautiful audio too.I use the SM-30 desk mic and both optional roofing filters.

PERFECT RIG.

I like Bob Sherwood a lot and really am thankful he tests rigs so rigorously and in such a consistent manner for the sake of comparing the down and dirty numbers...BUT, one specification does not make for a perfect rig.
Ergonomics,audio quality and the intended application the rig is used for matter a great deal.Some rigs have great specs but vicious audio or dreadful ergonomics or both.The blend of features this rig has fits my needs so exactly I am amazed and delighted.

I started out as a boy dxing on a Zenith Transoceanic..next came a BC-348R...then a SP-600JX..then a Drake R8A..then 2 Mackay Marine 3031A's..then a Icom R-8500 (the 8500 is EPIC BTW) I got my ticket and purchased a used Icom 718 which I like very much...but the QRM here was totally defeating it's NB.

The 7410 is a different paradigm...I am glad I waited.

So totally worth it.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2014 09:31 Send this review to a friend
IT'S AN ICOM!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had this rig long enough to do much more than turn it on, but what comes in without any
settings, modifications or adjustments is actually impressive. A plug and play? It's long and heavier than my Icom 756 Pro 3 "classic" unit but the sound is very clean and impressive, right off the bat. I guess technology has made medium grade gear very impressive compared to a few years back. I didn't want or need to spend 2,700 bucks for a radio like I did with the PRO 3, but for 1,500 (HRO-Denver) I took a plunge and I am surprised by what a really nice radio this is. For a small bedroom set-up (see QRZ.COM), my main antenna, a 36' horizontal end-fed antenna over the roof at 20 to 25 feet, I feel blessed with the arrangement. I do have one of the last of the Toyko Hy-Power amplifiers and power switchers next to it for an additional 400 watts, for sometime down the road. If you wear glasses for reading, you might want to keep a pair handy as the front panel is somewhat dark and compressed, but the screen is very nice and easy to read. Good luck with your radio and I hope you enjoy it.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 18:10 Send this review to a friend
On month report  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with most of the 5 start ratings below. I upgraded from an IC-7200. My first month impressions compared to the 7200:
- larger LCD, my 50+ year old eyes can see the screen now.
- better DSP, variable control, along with the NB and ANF can pretty much clean up any signal without degrading the audio for SSB. Works excellent on CW.
- I have the AH-4 external tuner connected to Ant 1 (horizontal loop) and 20M dipole on Ant 2. Real nice that the IC-7410 can use both external and internal tuner. BTW, the AH-4 is a very capable tuner and I can band change in 3-4 seconds with it.
- I was looking at the TS-590 and side by side comparison at HRO I could not tell the difference and the received audio on the Icom seemed clearer to me. The only thing I miss that the 590 has is a separate receive only jack.
- USB cable (good news), I still can't get the driver to work with my laptop.

Nit picky:
- the ground screw is pretty flimsy, should be a bit beefier
- RTTY receive only??

KK4MRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Great 160 - 6m ham xcvr & AM Broadcast and Shortwave rcvr  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio 6 months ago at HRO in Woodbridge, VA in January 2014. Drive up to HRO with some local hams. I had narrowed it down to icom ic-7410 or a yaesu ftdx1200. But, I had to play with it in person to see which was best. I bought the ICOM IC-7410.

My previous experience was with a Heathkit HW-101 that some Elmers help me get going and a Kenwood TH-F6A HT which has a wide receiver that included SSB receive for HF. I even played on other ham's equpipment such as Yaesu FT-2000 and ICOM IC-7000.

Yaesu FT-2000 is very, very nice, but it is out of budget for me.

Also, I was scared to pay a lot of money for a used HF radio. So, I opted for a new ICOM IC-7410 that had the knobs, buttons, great LCD display, and the radio treats CW as first class citizen instead of an afterthought.

Makes a good AM Broadcast and Shortwave Broadcast radio too. Want to listen to music on a far away station like WSM late at night, no problem. Want to listen to some interesting news or music from another country, you can. Even the noise blanker and Digital Noise Reduction works on these bands and modes too!

I have made contacts on 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, and 6 meters. Mostly SSB, but on 10 and 6 I have made FM contacts. And on 10, I have made AM contacts. Helps that I have a good OCF Dipole antenna.

I listen to CW on the code portions, but I am not ready to make my first CW contact. CW sounds so much nicer on this radio. Plus, I like the idea you can practice sending CW without it transmitting. The tone is so much nicer compared to awful code practice oscillators, such as, MFJ, Ameco...

I've only listened to 160, 60, and 30 meters, but it works well on those bands. My antenna is not designed for 160m.

The built-in RTTY decoder is interesting to use once you can find where some RTTY is. Better to hook up your computer via USB cable and install Ham Radio Deluxe to do RTTY and other digital modes like PSK31. No special adapter or signallink needed. Just take a normal printer usb A/B cable and hook it directory from your computer to your ham radio. You will need to download the USB driver from ICOM's web site.

I would definitely recommend this to other hams wanting to get into HF.

W5JV Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Ideal for MARS & General Operating  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a well made transceiver that I have found is ideal for MARS and net work. With LDG's little automatic antenna tuner for ICOM, it performs beyond what its own little internal ant tuner can do and matches my HF type dipole safely from low end to high end continuous. The tune function restricts output power so that the LDG tuner finds an instant match and then turns control back to the rig. The keyer function works well and the included microphone gets good reports. And, as other users have found, the accessory filters are nice to have but not needed in normal use. My criticism would probably apply to any manufacturer: the menu system is NOT intuitive so still a work in progress. Since Japanese manuals are written for engineers and experienced hams, it is not at all easy to work through if you have an old school background. Still, worth the effort and you forget all this once you're in a QSO.

YY5MKI Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Tremendo radio de icom   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Este radio lo recomiendo al 100x100 ,no tiene nada que envidiar a los otros modelos icom como el ic-7600,ic-7700 y el ic-7800 ,todos los filtros y componentes son de ultima generación,claro yo le compre los filtros de techo de 6 khz y de 3 khz ,es la una opción que trae para instalaciones internas para este fabuloso radio HF/6 metros .La antenna tunner es de lo mejor tunea súper rápido. es una radio de 10 kg de peso muy robusto con buen chasis de aluminio....muy contento

YY5MKI Philip 73