Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 18:10 Send this review to a friend
On month report  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with most of the 5 start ratings below. I upgraded from an IC-7200. My first month impressions compared to the 7200:
- larger LCD, my 50+ year old eyes can see the screen now.
- better DSP, variable control, along with the NB and ANF can pretty much clean up any signal without degrading the audio for SSB. Works excellent on CW.
- I have the AH-4 external tuner connected to Ant 1 (horizontal loop) and 20M dipole on Ant 2. Real nice that the IC-7410 can use both external and internal tuner. BTW, the AH-4 is a very capable tuner and I can band change in 3-4 seconds with it.
- I was looking at the TS-590 and side by side comparison at HRO I could not tell the difference and the received audio on the Icom seemed clearer to me. The only thing I miss that the 590 has is a separate receive only jack.
- USB cable (good news), I still can't get the driver to work with my laptop.

Nit picky:
- the ground screw is pretty flimsy, should be a bit beefier
- RTTY receive only??

KK4MRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Great 160 - 6m ham xcvr & AM Broadcast and Shortwave rcvr  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio 6 months ago at HRO in Woodbridge, VA in January 2014. Drive up to HRO with some local hams. I had narrowed it down to icom ic-7410 or a yaesu ftdx1200. But, I had to play with it in person to see which was best. I bought the ICOM IC-7410.

My previous experience was with a Heathkit HW-101 that some Elmers help me get going and a Kenwood TH-F6A HT which has a wide receiver that included SSB receive for HF. I even played on other ham's equpipment such as Yaesu FT-2000 and ICOM IC-7000.

Yaesu FT-2000 is very, very nice, but it is out of budget for me.

Also, I was scared to pay a lot of money for a used HF radio. So, I opted for a new ICOM IC-7410 that had the knobs, buttons, great LCD display, and the radio treats CW as first class citizen instead of an afterthought.

Makes a good AM Broadcast and Shortwave Broadcast radio too. Want to listen to music on a far away station like WSM late at night, no problem. Want to listen to some interesting news or music from another country, you can. Even the noise blanker and Digital Noise Reduction works on these bands and modes too!

I have made contacts on 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, and 6 meters. Mostly SSB, but on 10 and 6 I have made FM contacts. And on 10, I have made AM contacts. Helps that I have a good OCF Dipole antenna.

I listen to CW on the code portions, but I am not ready to make my first CW contact. CW sounds so much nicer on this radio. Plus, I like the idea you can practice sending CW without it transmitting. The tone is so much nicer compared to awful code practice oscillators, such as, MFJ, Ameco...

I've only listened to 160, 60, and 30 meters, but it works well on those bands. My antenna is not designed for 160m.

The built-in RTTY decoder is interesting to use once you can find where some RTTY is. Better to hook up your computer via USB cable and install Ham Radio Deluxe to do RTTY and other digital modes like PSK31. No special adapter or signallink needed. Just take a normal printer usb A/B cable and hook it directory from your computer to your ham radio. You will need to download the USB driver from ICOM's web site.

I would definitely recommend this to other hams wanting to get into HF.

W5JV Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Ideal for MARS & General Operating  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a well made transceiver that I have found is ideal for MARS and net work. With LDG's little automatic antenna tuner for ICOM, it performs beyond what its own little internal ant tuner can do and matches my HF type dipole safely from low end to high end continuous. The tune function restricts output power so that the LDG tuner finds an instant match and then turns control back to the rig. The keyer function works well and the included microphone gets good reports. And, as other users have found, the accessory filters are nice to have but not needed in normal use. My criticism would probably apply to any manufacturer: the menu system is NOT intuitive so still a work in progress. Since Japanese manuals are written for engineers and experienced hams, it is not at all easy to work through if you have an old school background. Still, worth the effort and you forget all this once you're in a QSO.

YY5MKI Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Tremendo radio de icom   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Este radio lo recomiendo al 100x100 ,no tiene nada que envidiar a los otros modelos icom como el ic-7600,ic-7700 y el ic-7800 ,todos los filtros y componentes son de ultima generación,claro yo le compre los filtros de techo de 6 khz y de 3 khz ,es la una opción que trae para instalaciones internas para este fabuloso radio HF/6 metros .La antenna tunner es de lo mejor tunea súper rápido. es una radio de 10 kg de peso muy robusto con buen chasis de aluminio....muy contento

YY5MKI Philip 73

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Second time around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 7410 and wanted another radio. I gave the choice due diligence and went through all of the available radios that are close to the same price point. It came out the same way as the first time. The 7410 is a well made, simple to use, stable radio. The menus are not complex. The display is easy to use and understand. I got the two roofing filters but, they are never used because the basic filtering is excellent. I can tailor audio in and out with ease. I did it twice and came up with the same answer twice. I am very please with both of my 7410s.

OR5A Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
A lot of bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For those who want a solid performer and don't want to spend a pile of money I think this Icom IC-7410 has most to offer. Owning and having owned some high end radios like TS-990, IC-7700, IC-7600, FT1000D I have some material to compare to.

First I was temped to look at the TS-590. Just a bit cheaper but all the trouble about the ALC overshoot and some distorted audio kept me from buying that radio although the 590's receiver is hot.

The someone told me why not look at the IC-7410. It has everything I need and more and is in the same price range as the TS-590 is. Icom had addressed the overshoot on this model so buying new I knew that the problem was solved.

I must says that the performance of the IC-7410 surpasses my expectations. Owing the IC-7600 I can say that if you don't need the band scope and dual watch, just put the optional 3 kHz roofing filter in the IC-7410 and you have a equally capable receiver that to me in some occasions is even a tiny bit better pulling out the week stations.

I particularly like the big screen with big numbers, S-meter and the layout of all knobs is very familiar with the family of Icom radios on the market today. DSP works very well, I like the filtering and just like the 7600 I can tailor the RX and TX audio and set cut off and bandwidth to adjust everything to my liking.

Bonus are two keyer inputs, memory keyer, tuner, two antenna inputs, all important functions directly from the front panel, USB connection (plus C-IV at the same time). The radio is very quiet and has a very large heat sink so the fan barely comes on. It delivers its power very well and runs for hours and hours without a glitch. Pre amp 1 is very good for bands 12 and 10 and preamp 2 is good for 50 MHz.

Really, I thinks this IC-7410 is among the best you can get with a budget under 2K $. Since I wasn't using the 7600's band scope that much I find myself using the 7410 a lot more. Big bang for the buck.

N1ULV Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 19:30 Send this review to a friend
one of my favorites....but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think this is a great radio. I've have owned many rigs including the Yaesu markV field,ft-990 ft-2000, kenwood ts-570, 850, 930....and many more....so i feel confident in saying the 7410 hits on all cylinders....I have however noticed a glitch I believe is in the firmware. I still give this rig a 5 because it is so good in all other areas including ergos, audio, and ease of use....great quality feel too. it seems to me that since Icom started doing the ALC OVERSHOOT mod at the factory ...starting at ser. # 02002071
that this glitch appeared. Ive had 2 radios since the factory mod and they both exhibited this issue. I have tried to document this issue in a video here.

N2EAC Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver/Great Value/Great TX/RX Audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned and operated some of the best HF transceivers made, with prices ranging across the board. The IC-7410 is a tremendous value in a transceiver at its price point. As an FYI - I purchased just the 3KHz roofing filter. (It took no time to install.) I did not and do not see a need for the 6 KHz roofing filter. So, IMHO, save your money and just get and use the 3 KHz roofing filter. As to the transceiver, the TX and RX audio are 1st class. If you are a ragchewer, then this is the perfect transceiver for you. Keep in mind that the band scope is like the ones in the predecessors. so, if you do not need a continuous bandscope, you are not missing out. The IC-7410 is priced just right and while I use it as a second rig, I would have no problem using it as a primary rig. The TX/RX audio is absolutely 1st class clear (IMHO - better than the IC-756proIII). There are a couple a really good transceivers available at the price point of the IC-7410. But, being prior Icom owner, I gravitated to this transceiver.

I can say without reservation that I made the right choice. I am extremely happy with the transceiver and would buy it again. It is a good value and worth every penny spent. So, if you have a choice, do a side-by-side comparison. I think you will find it to comes in 1st place like I did when I was researching transceivers at that price point.

Therefore, it is without reservation that I can endorse the purchase and daily use of the IC-7410 transceiver.

73, Ed, N2EAC

N2MVV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Love this radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I finally decided to upgrade my HF radio after owning my Icom IC-718 since 2004. The Icom IC-718 is now used as a back-up and to work portable in the field with a battery.

I was looking at the Kenwood TS-590s, however, after reading many of the reviews, there seems to be an issue with not having the full 100 watts of power going out. Many people are happy with their Kenwood TS-590s, but I felt it was not a good choice for me.

I bought the Icom IC-7410 from GigaParts almost a year ago and I am extremely happy. Like anything else, it all depends what radio each individual likes as it applies to what they do in this hobby.

This radio is well built and very attractive with most of the buttons for filters, scope, etc right in front of you. You need to go into the menu to make adjustments for your voice on the treble and bass settings. You also should use the speech compressor and adjust the ALC meter for more punch. I get great audio reports on all of my QSO's. The radio has a large display and a built in tuner (which is only good for SWR 3:1 and below). I resonate my antenna with an antenna analyzer and hardly use the tuner. There is a USB port for PSK-31 and other digital modes. One thing I do not like is the power knob where you can go full clockwise for 100 watts or counter clockwise for less power. I have no idea of my estimated watts going out unless I attach a meter. The Icom IC-718 has a menu where you can select an exact numerical wattage setting. For now, I either run the radio barefoot at 100 watts or dial down an estimated power.

I also like the fact that I can use 6 and 10 meter repeaters with this radio. I have never worked 6 meters before this radio and it is fun when the band is open. Unfortunately, I do not work CW and can not review that for you.

If you are looking for a mid-level radio in the $1500 range, I think you should seriously consider this radio amongst your choices. I am planning to keep this radio for many years.

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 00:39 Send this review to a friend
quality in a big package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Icom ic-7410 is a well built radio with a quality feel to it,nice heavy weight and a full sized transceiver.The radio presents with a lovely receiver complemented by a very quite low noise floor level,so its ideal for pulling those weak low signals out from qrm/qsb.Icom fully packed this set with many features but made it easy to navigate your way round the menu,with many of the setting available and to hand instantly should you require quick change to setting.You have no need for a base microphone with the icom as the audio reports with the basic fist mic are always good getting excellent reports always.I do have other radio,s in the shack and i do often test side by side the icom with the Kenwood ts-590 and they both are great dx radio,s.I find myself going back to the icom time after time ..why..well it feels like a real radio looks like a real radio and works like a real radio.A great purchase a terrific awesome radio worth a serious view if you are in the market looking for a real contender to the ts-590.