Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

ZL1JOS Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2015 03:21 Send this review to a friend
USB Cable needs to be short  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned one from new for about a week or two.

The only problem I have had is with the USB cable control. I bought a 5m long USB A to B cable so I could have my laptop situated away from the radio if need be. At first I thought it must be some kind of proprietary USB cable required, as every time I plugged the cable in, I came up with 'Usb device has failed' kind of errors.

After a bit of googling, And reading the driver install manual, I found out that the USB cable needed to be as short as possible. Well.. ok. So I cut the 5m cable, and made it about 50cm, which fixed the problem.

However, that was a test case, and I wanted to have around a meter long so I could position the laptop and the radio where I wanted it. Nope, too long. At first it appeared to work ok at one meter. However, after failing to decode JT-65 signals, and after looking at the waterfall and noticing that all the JT-65 signals looked as if they were over modulated, I decided to listen to the input ( Select Listen to this device on the Recording Devices in windows ). What I heard was a very patchy pulsed audio.

So, my current setup is using an interface I made for my IC-745 ( which the IC-7410 replaced ), I take the audio from the ACC port, and input into the microphone socket.

However I want to try out a USB hub coupled with a very short USB A-B cable going to the radio. I am wondering if the line levels in the USB line are too low or something, and that a USB hub would sort that out. If not, I will make up a new computer interface, working entirely off of the rear ACC plug, and also a USB-RS232 based CI-V adaptor.

I also noted that the USB cable introduced some noise at the lower bands.

As for the rest of the radio, it is awesome. This is my first new HF rig, and I need to do a proper A/B comparison with my IC-745. However, one thing is clear, the filtering and such on this radio is awesome. I am just learning CW, and decided to listen to some. It sounds good with the default filters, but narrowing a signal down to 250hz or less is impressive. And then just to top it off, applying the noise reduction makes it even better ( even if there is no real noise anyway ). And then, put on some headphones, and it sounds super good, very nice to listen to.

One thing I noticed though is the noise blanker does not seem to work well for the USB induced noise I described earlier, however the notch filter ( manual ) did with ease.

The internal ATU seems to be pretty quick, and quiet. I have a 40m dipole, and despite it being a 3:1 ATU, it somehow tunes up on 80m, 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, and 6m.

The RF Gain / Squelch knob was a bit werid at first, it seems RF gain is at 100% when in the 12 oclock position, and after that it applies squelch ( behaviour adjustable in menus ). This can make a difference when changing between SSB / CW and FM / AM.

I have not really used it much, but the band scope gizmo seems to work ok, and is quite quick.

I still have not explored every part of this radio, but so far I am pleased. The only thing I am not happy with is the USB cable situation. I am not sure if that's a USB specific thing, if its an ICOM thing, or what the story there is.

I will surely do more testing and playing around, and if I find out anything new I shall post an update.

4/5 because of USB cable issue only.

W5BGP Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2015 12:34 Send this review to a friend
It has just about everything  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig replaced my old Icom 735. I fgured it was time to enjoy some of the new bells and whistles. I have been pleasantly surprised at the capability of this rig both from a receiving and transmitting point of view. I hear stations that I never heard before and I love the fact that I can turn the power down to 2 watts and work QRP with great success. The keyer is fool proof. I also like being able to plug in a straight key in the back for SKCC and have both available at the same time. The fact that each band has three memory frequencies is ideal. I use one for CW, one for PSK and one for the SSB portion of each band. No spinning the dial required. Keep the manual handy as you will find new things about the rig that you have not discovered.

K5UOS Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2014 04:09 Send this review to a friend
First purchase of commercial transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IC-7410 is my first commercial transceiver in almost 30 years as an amateur operator. Purchased about 4 weeks ago. The manual was pretty easy to understand and I set the rig up pretty much to my liking within a few days. I have never had AGC, noise blanker, variable bandwidth tuning or optional filters. These features in the 7410 are very easy to use and are essential on 80M. I bought the rig for reliability checking in to our local QCWA 63 net. The noise reduction (NR) feature is particularly useful for removing noise. It is often the difference between copy and no copy.

I honestly donít have any experience with other transceivers except a TS-830S hybrid I repaired for a friend and eventually kept in a trade. I have used it occasionally.

With that said I am pleased with my first new purchase experience. I wish I could have tried the TS-590SG. I have gotten spoiled by the filters in the 7410 even though I donít have the FL-430/431 installed. The TS-590SG does have them installed. The internal tuner is nice to have with my 80M antenna.

The only issue I have is the difficulty I have in reading the buttons and knobs. I can see the issues in backlighting them but that would have been a reasonable improvement.

The IC-7410 is a fine transceiver for a first transceiver. The manual is well written and I didnít have any problems setting the rig up.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With a QST review that said "competent" how could I go wrong?

Still I had a very good experience with my trusty 706-2g and my antenna tuner is integrated into my setup here and icom specific - so for the price range this was the way to go.

I'm glad I did. The receiver sounds very good. The noise blanker mutes the occasional powerline-hash-like noise that comes up here from time to time with ease. The noise reduction has helped me discern call signs buried well below the noise level. Most of the time it sounds just fine without using these at all though.

The transmitter was another reason behind my choice. I've had very good luck with icoms so far and like the sound of them on the air. There are some very expensive radios out there with supposedly great receivers but I'm not a fan of how they sound on transmit. I adjusted my audio as laid out in the manual and regularly get unsolicited audio reports.

The menu isn't difficult. I customized the noise blanker and filters a little but rarely go back in to change anything. There's a knob or button for everything you need often.

Along with the band sweep feature - which works a lot better than I thought it would - there's an SWR sweep feature. now THAT is cool. You can get an SWR graph of your antenna for a given band just like an analyzer. It works good.

One of the club members asked me if there was anything I would change about it if I could when I first got it. I can't think of anything. It's a great radio.

Any questions feel free to email me. Address is current on QRZ.

WV4M Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Best HF rig I have owned in 42 years as a ham  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a used IC-7410 and could not be happier with it. I upgraded from another great radio, the IC-756 Pro III. This radio has a nice quiet receiver able to knock down my rather high power line noise and has great ergonomics. I am especially happy with the new technology of USB connectivity...I use it with Ham Radio Deluxe and no longer need a box sitting on top of the rig for the digital modes, just the USB hookup. My first Icom was a Japanese model IC-750 I bought in Okinawa back in the early 80s. I have owned many Icoms since then and only one did not meet my expectations, the IC-7000, which I replaced with the IC-706MKIIG that I currently use mobile. The price for the rig was very good for what you get. I don't really need the fancy color displays. This one is quite good. I would highly recommend this rig to any ham, new or old, looking for the best rig for the money.

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2014 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Superb value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned and operated the IC 7410 for 3 years now and it has restored my faith in modern DSP tranceivers. I fitted both the 6 and 3 khz roofing filters from new, (well why not at the special rate of $50 AUS each) it was a bargain.
The size of the rig and the smoothness of the tuning knob is great, Most controls regularly used are on the front panel, dial up output contol, the big screen is an easy read for those of us advancing in age with deteriorating eyesight.
but the real beauty for me in this rig is a superb receiver, it quiet, it sensitive and the twin bandwidth controls with 3 roofing filters give almost limitless possibilities.
I'm one of those receiver buffs, who collect too many, listen more than I transmit and remember back to my Hallicrafters SX-130, SR400, Drake SW4a... you get the message.
My shack has wired up to the antenna /rig selector an Icom R71 A, JRC NRD535, IC 718, IC 7200, IC 765 and the IC 7410.Others are in boxes under the bench.The 7410 has a sound more like that of earlier analogues and the DSP is very good, as good as I have heard. It does as does any receiver i've tried improve with a BHI NEIM 1013 outboard AF DSP. My location is very quiet electrically and 50 miles from the nearest town, I run a standalone solar system and with a 1000a/h batteries run my station pure DC (also because the AC inverters introduce some RFI)
So I can't compare close strong signal attributes but comparing sensitivity and clarity of speech it compares very favorably against the JRC and has an edge against the IC-765 a transceiver I believe is one of the best of the Icoms and is here to stay.
Of course there are menus but considering the amount of tailoring options this unit offers that isn't surprising.
Good feedback on transmit, contouring of sound on transmit, Punchy audio I'm told.
But ultimately its one of those radios that just looks , sounds and feels good, ergonomically very good and best of all great value!

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Built like a Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an Icom 7410. The first thing I noticed is the normal sized knobs. Not tiny toy- like knobs but man sized knobs. The layout of the controls is great and the ergonomics make me wish I would have tried this radio sooner.

I have owned the ts-590, ftdx3000, and now the Icom 7410. I sold the 590 and 3000 to buy this radio and I have no regrets. The receiver is comparable in all three but the Icom is so much more refined than the Yaesu and Kenwood. All three radios do a great job but for ease of use and a solid build the Icom wins.

The bandscope does a much better job than I was expecting. The tuner is silent. The Yaesu and Kenwood tuners could wake the dead.

The Twin PBT controls are fantastic and the big display is so welcome. The radio plays great if you are into SWL'ing and MW dx'ing. The audio is pleasant when listening to these AM stations.

Many of the features are fully customizable. I did not realize that when I bought the radio. Once again I was pleasantly surprised.

At this point I have not added the two extra roofing filters. If this radio is reliable and keeps performing I will definitely be adding those filters.

The price keeps going down on the Icom 7410 too! At it's current price point of 1500.00 US it is an excellent value. I absolutely love the radio so far. I hope it's the beginning of a long relationship. Something that I couldn't get with previous radios.

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Epic DX machine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first ever radio with IF DSP...I have been waiting years to no avail for a 32 bit A/D converter to be introduced and the QRM at my QTH just keeps getting worse.It was time to act! I wanted a rig that would be superior from lf up and had excellent ergonomics.I did not want to pay for a band scope...I just wanted an excellent receiver without asinine amounts of menu navigation...I prefer dedicated controls.And i really,really needed a good NB and NR.
As you might guess I think the 7410 fits my needs exactly.The NB destroys the powerline S9+ hash completely...so totally at first I thought it was a malfunction...I kept turning it on and off...and my mouth gaped in amazement.The NR is also ridiculously effective.The manual notch and Auto notch are also excellent.
I now have the best S/N ratio I have ever had at this QTH...it is an entirely different world.
I own a few excellent receivers...but this rig is peerless.Audio is wonderful and I can listen all day without fatigue,
It transmits beautiful audio too.I use the SM-30 desk mic and both optional roofing filters.

PERFECT RIG.

I like Bob Sherwood a lot and really am thankful he tests rigs so rigorously and in such a consistent manner for the sake of comparing the down and dirty numbers...BUT, one specification does not make for a perfect rig.
Ergonomics,audio quality and the intended application the rig is used for matter a great deal.Some rigs have great specs but vicious audio or dreadful ergonomics or both.The blend of features this rig has fits my needs so exactly I am amazed and delighted.

I started out as a boy dxing on a Zenith Transoceanic..next came a BC-348R...then a SP-600JX..then a Drake R8A..then 2 Mackay Marine 3031A's..then a Icom R-8500 (the 8500 is EPIC BTW) I got my ticket and purchased a used Icom 718 which I like very much...but the QRM here was totally defeating it's NB.

The 7410 is a different paradigm...I am glad I waited.

So totally worth it.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2014 09:31 Send this review to a friend
IT'S AN ICOM!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had this rig long enough to do much more than turn it on, but what comes in without any
settings, modifications or adjustments is actually impressive. A plug and play? It's long and heavier than my Icom 756 Pro 3 "classic" unit but the sound is very clean and impressive, right off the bat. I guess technology has made medium grade gear very impressive compared to a few years back. I didn't want or need to spend 2,700 bucks for a radio like I did with the PRO 3, but for 1,500 (HRO-Denver) I took a plunge and I am surprised by what a really nice radio this is. For a small bedroom set-up (see QRZ.COM), my main antenna, a 36' horizontal end-fed antenna over the roof at 20 to 25 feet, I feel blessed with the arrangement. I do have one of the last of the Toyko Hy-Power amplifiers and power switchers next to it for an additional 400 watts, for sometime down the road. If you wear glasses for reading, you might want to keep a pair handy as the front panel is somewhat dark and compressed, but the screen is very nice and easy to read. Good luck with your radio and I hope you enjoy it.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 18:10 Send this review to a friend
On month report  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with most of the 5 start ratings below. I upgraded from an IC-7200. My first month impressions compared to the 7200:
- larger LCD, my 50+ year old eyes can see the screen now.
- better DSP, variable control, along with the NB and ANF can pretty much clean up any signal without degrading the audio for SSB. Works excellent on CW.
- I have the AH-4 external tuner connected to Ant 1 (horizontal loop) and 20M dipole on Ant 2. Real nice that the IC-7410 can use both external and internal tuner. BTW, the AH-4 is a very capable tuner and I can band change in 3-4 seconds with it.
- I was looking at the TS-590 and side by side comparison at HRO I could not tell the difference and the received audio on the Icom seemed clearer to me. The only thing I miss that the 590 has is a separate receive only jack.
- USB cable (good news), I still can't get the driver to work with my laptop.

Nit picky:
- the ground screw is pretty flimsy, should be a bit beefier
- RTTY receive only??