Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

W5CSM Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2016 13:31 Send this review to a friend
First "Base" unit - Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great Feeling controls, minimal menus, great value (bought used on eBay). Completely satisfied! Running a WMR RigBlaster P&P for digital and Rig Control. Heil ProSet 5 (HC5 Element) works well (many audio compliments) with mic gain maxed out and compression at ~1/3 up (was not expecting that). Built in Tuner is a BIG convenience as I am running multi-band Inv-V antennas most of the time. Adding a Heil iCM mic soon and expect the great experience to continue.

W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio/Great Price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won't rehash what some have said and just state a couple of my likes. I never had a radio high end or other that had a NB (other than the great one int eh FT-920) or NR function that actually worked, especially, in an ICOM. Knobs are great feel and solid size, and I love the ability to see my ALC, Power Out and Compression all at the same time. The receiver is excellent, on par with teh 7600 and 7700. Also confirmed by Sherwood's receiver test data. For the money, you get a sweet radio, one with a solid feel, great features and a well built unit.

G4RNI Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 03:18 Send this review to a friend
STUNNINGLY GOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
My all time favourite was always going to be the IC-751A, closely followed, or equalled, by the IC-775DSP but as that's a 200W jobbie it's unfair to place them side by side.
Now, after having owned around four IC-7410's I have to say that it's my current favourite 100W base HF radio.
Built like a tank and with controls so logically placed, including the mic gain and RF power all too often relegated to a menu slot, it's so easy to drive.
BIG and clear display, monochrome yes but being quite colourblind it's better for my eyes than them being swamped with reds, greens & blues that I struggle to separate.
For white stick operators it has a clear, concise voice announcement of frequency, mode and even signal strength. Superb.
The noise blanker all but eliminated an S9+40dB plasma TV buzz although audio distortion was just beginning to set in. You can't have it all.
The PA is built around TWO power fets, each capable of running 100Watts so at the stated 100W output it's just cruising.
Icom overpriced the set when it first appeared and it had ALC issues if used to drive a linear. The issue is eliminated on builds over the past 2 years or so (it's June 2016 now) and many earlier versions have been re-engineered by Icom to cure the issue. If you don't run a linear it's not a problem.
Sensitivity is with the best for the state of the art. Signal handling is better than many but not as good as more expensive sets. It's all mode as standard with no additional SSB/CW filters to buy although the close in performance can be somewhat enhanced by plugging in one or both of the 3 and 6kHz roofing filters.
Used prices have dropped to around 800 GBP, $1000 so it's now very good value.
Something that will perform, stand the test of time and won't have you tearing your hair out, trying to remember which menu is for what.

Highly recommended!

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2016 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Ditto on all the comments by the previous reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm in fully agree with the previous review :)

I had previously owned & operated this rig (w/all filters) when it first came out. Operated SSB (2%), CW (2%), BUT mostly on digital modes; had
an external high-power antenna tuner. It operated super in any mode. Because of finances, had to downgrade, kinda sorry I did now :(

WA7AXT Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2016 09:17 Send this review to a friend
A very good rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my ic 7410 new from HRO. I had them install all the filters. The filtering is excellent, and the adjustments you can make are really helpful. Everything works as described in the manual. So far, I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever due to manufacture. All the issues I have had were due to my failure to read the manual! There is a steep learning curve regarding all the features; however reading the friendly manual is helpful, and has answered my questions. The audio is very good; and can be adjusted through the easily accessible menu. The internal cw keyer is nice and has adjustments. The noise reduction feature is very effective, as is the noise blanker. The notch filter is fantastic. There are two antenna sockets, which is really nice. If you only use one of the sockets, I would HIGHLY recommend putting a dummy load on the unused one. If you inadvertently hit the "antenna" button and switch outputs, you could easily damage the rf output circuit if the key is accidentally hit at full power. Although the fan is a bit noisy, I would rather have the rig cooled off than have a quiet fan. Given the chance, I would buy this rig again with no hesitation.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2016 20:53 Send this review to a friend
beastly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this thing is a beast. it is big and heavy and looks bad ass. I've only had it for a day and have made contacts into Russia, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia. all on 75 watts or less. I also have been using the sm-30 mic which I highly recommend. I also got the optional roofing filters. not sure if I need them, but they are fun to play with. anyway, this radio has been recently discontinued and I highly recommend it.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 15:59 Send this review to a friend
WHAT A FANTASTIC TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built like a panzer tank. Quiet selective receiver. I suggest not bothering with the optional filters as the radio receives quiet well without them. Big bright display. Plays identical as my ic-7600 for less that half the cost. Icom might have bombed out with the 746 pro but made up for it with the 7410. What a fine solid transceiver.

WD8DKB Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2016 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree with all of the 5 ratings. Very easy to use and feels like quality. Everything just works for me. I noticed today that AES has the IC-7410 listed as a Close Out. I can understand that considering todays competition. But it is a proven design that is reliable and well built. Wish they could just keep them in the line up. Very tempting to take advantage of the on going price drops and purchase another. 73 Max

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HRO @ $1300 seems like a fair price for this Rig. QC seems very good. Supplied Hand Mic is fair but SM-30 desk mic drives the radio much better. Filters,ANF,MNF,NR work very well. Receiver is very good. Like the Mini band scope and Antenna tuner is quick and works great. This is one of the better HF radios I have owned. Menu system is easy enough. Like this radio very much. Go Icom! 73

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2016 16:41 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought a 2nd.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have written a previous review of this fine transceiver some time back.
I thought I may update and write a second glowing report for what I believe is one of the best value amateur products ever released!
Recently I saw an advertisement in the Australian VK Ham site for a mint IC 7410 including an SM-50 mic for AUS $1300.00 (Approx $965 US dollars).
I often listen on my IC 765 for a scheduled contact and ragchew with a couple of locals on the 7410 so the thought of a pair of potent 7410s side by side in my purpose built console looked mighty appealing.
As I was about to do the 1000klm drive down to Sydney the next week and the seller was a short deviation off the Pacific Highway, at Port Macquarie. I contacted and made arrangements to pickup. On arrival I was presented with a mint 7410 all ready for re-boxing, an unmarked SM-50 and a fully bound hi quality manual. The seller was primarily a VHF/Uhf man and had his eyes on a new Icom model, we had the usual Hammy chat and as with many contacts a real pleasure.
Well 2 months later I have a pair of 7410s angled up to me on my console with the IC 765 above to the right.(The IC 765 is a keeper!)
Here down-under the average new price of an IC 7410 is AUS$2000-2100,US$1490-1560 an IC-7600 is AUS$4700, US$3500.
My point is that for AUS$600-700 US$470-$520 less than the price of an IC 7600 one can have 2 IC 7410's.
Advantage true diversity trans/reception, an equivilent back up and every bit as good or some of us suggest slightly better receiver than the IC7600.
As others have described using a monitor, a bandscope is available in a bigger format if needs be, I don't find need for the use of a scope that often personally.
I am as impressed with the 7410 now as I was with the original purchase on release.
It is difficult to imagine huge leaps in tranceiver performance in the near future although many of us are waiting for reviews on Icoms newly released IC-7300 with it new RF direct sampling system. But again it looks to be a menu driven compact unit.
In summation the size and presence of a base radio is important to me, having a control on the facia for most regularly needed adjustments is desirable and an easily read screen.
Ergonomics, feel and solid good looks and again presence are IMHO all there in this radio.

Icom have hit a home run with this transceiver and one only has to look at the vast majority of favourable reviews here on E-Ham to recognise this.
Also so far, this has been a very reliable radio, apart from the well acknowledged ALC issue that has been addressed in later production and I'm told can be reprogrammed in earlier units this is a solid radio!
I have not had an ALC problem appear with an IC2KL linear and AT-500 auto tuner.
Backlighting issues and finals failures as in the IC 746/Pro and IC-7400 have not arisen and the unit has been around long enough for these issues to reveal themselve.
My only fault has been the early failure of the rear speaker output in my original early prod 7410 that as yet I haven't investigated and may be as simple as a bad contact.
I highly recommend this transceiver to new amateurs and grizzly old timers as it ticks most boxes for excellent pricing and great performance!
I believe this unit will remain as one of Icoms classics alongside radios such as the IC-735, 751a,761,765,775DSP R71a etc.
To those looking for a new or replacement radio you would be remiss in not trying out a 7410!
It really is that good!