Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Built like a Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an Icom 7410. The first thing I noticed is the normal sized knobs. Not tiny toy- like knobs but man sized knobs. The layout of the controls is great and the ergonomics make me wish I would have tried this radio sooner.

I have owned the ts-590, ftdx3000, and now the Icom 7410. I sold the 590 and 3000 to buy this radio and I have no regrets. The receiver is comparable in all three but the Icom is so much more refined than the Yaesu and Kenwood. All three radios do a great job but for ease of use and a solid build the Icom wins.

The bandscope does a much better job than I was expecting. The tuner is silent. The Yaesu and Kenwood tuners could wake the dead.

The Twin PBT controls are fantastic and the big display is so welcome. The radio plays great if you are into SWL'ing and MW dx'ing. The audio is pleasant when listening to these AM stations.

Many of the features are fully customizable. I did not realize that when I bought the radio. Once again I was pleasantly surprised.

At this point I have not added the two extra roofing filters. If this radio is reliable and keeps performing I will definitely be adding those filters.

The price keeps going down on the Icom 7410 too! At it's current price point of 1500.00 US it is an excellent value. I absolutely love the radio so far. I hope it's the beginning of a long relationship. Something that I couldn't get with previous radios.

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Epic DX machine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first ever radio with IF DSP...I have been waiting years to no avail for a 32 bit A/D converter to be introduced and the QRM at my QTH just keeps getting worse.It was time to act! I wanted a rig that would be superior from lf up and had excellent ergonomics.I did not want to pay for a band scope...I just wanted an excellent receiver without asinine amounts of menu navigation...I prefer dedicated controls.And i really,really needed a good NB and NR.
As you might guess I think the 7410 fits my needs exactly.The NB destroys the powerline S9+ hash completely...so totally at first I thought it was a malfunction...I kept turning it on and off...and my mouth gaped in amazement.The NR is also ridiculously effective.The manual notch and Auto notch are also excellent.
I now have the best S/N ratio I have ever had at this QTH...it is an entirely different world.
I own a few excellent receivers...but this rig is peerless.Audio is wonderful and I can listen all day without fatigue,
It transmits beautiful audio too.I use the SM-30 desk mic and both optional roofing filters.

PERFECT RIG.

I like Bob Sherwood a lot and really am thankful he tests rigs so rigorously and in such a consistent manner for the sake of comparing the down and dirty numbers...BUT, one specification does not make for a perfect rig.
Ergonomics,audio quality and the intended application the rig is used for matter a great deal.Some rigs have great specs but vicious audio or dreadful ergonomics or both.The blend of features this rig has fits my needs so exactly I am amazed and delighted.

I started out as a boy dxing on a Zenith Transoceanic..next came a BC-348R...then a SP-600JX..then a Drake R8A..then 2 Mackay Marine 3031A's..then a Icom R-8500 (the 8500 is EPIC BTW) I got my ticket and purchased a used Icom 718 which I like very much...but the QRM here was totally defeating it's NB.

The 7410 is a different paradigm...I am glad I waited.

So totally worth it.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2014 09:31 Send this review to a friend
IT'S AN ICOM!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had this rig long enough to do much more than turn it on, but what comes in without any
settings, modifications or adjustments is actually impressive. A plug and play? It's long and heavier than my Icom 756 Pro 3 "classic" unit but the sound is very clean and impressive, right off the bat. I guess technology has made medium grade gear very impressive compared to a few years back. I didn't want or need to spend 2,700 bucks for a radio like I did with the PRO 3, but for 1,500 (HRO-Denver) I took a plunge and I am surprised by what a really nice radio this is. For a small bedroom set-up (see QRZ.COM), my main antenna, a 36' horizontal end-fed antenna over the roof at 20 to 25 feet, I feel blessed with the arrangement. I do have one of the last of the Toyko Hy-Power amplifiers and power switchers next to it for an additional 400 watts, for sometime down the road. If you wear glasses for reading, you might want to keep a pair handy as the front panel is somewhat dark and compressed, but the screen is very nice and easy to read. Good luck with your radio and I hope you enjoy it.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 18:10 Send this review to a friend
On month report  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with most of the 5 start ratings below. I upgraded from an IC-7200. My first month impressions compared to the 7200:
- larger LCD, my 50+ year old eyes can see the screen now.
- better DSP, variable control, along with the NB and ANF can pretty much clean up any signal without degrading the audio for SSB. Works excellent on CW.
- I have the AH-4 external tuner connected to Ant 1 (horizontal loop) and 20M dipole on Ant 2. Real nice that the IC-7410 can use both external and internal tuner. BTW, the AH-4 is a very capable tuner and I can band change in 3-4 seconds with it.
- I was looking at the TS-590 and side by side comparison at HRO I could not tell the difference and the received audio on the Icom seemed clearer to me. The only thing I miss that the 590 has is a separate receive only jack.
- USB cable (good news), I still can't get the driver to work with my laptop.

Nit picky:
- the ground screw is pretty flimsy, should be a bit beefier
- RTTY receive only??

KK4MRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Great 160 - 6m ham xcvr & AM Broadcast and Shortwave rcvr  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio 6 months ago at HRO in Woodbridge, VA in January 2014. Drive up to HRO with some local hams. I had narrowed it down to icom ic-7410 or a yaesu ftdx1200. But, I had to play with it in person to see which was best. I bought the ICOM IC-7410.

My previous experience was with a Heathkit HW-101 that some Elmers help me get going and a Kenwood TH-F6A HT which has a wide receiver that included SSB receive for HF. I even played on other ham's equpipment such as Yaesu FT-2000 and ICOM IC-7000.

Yaesu FT-2000 is very, very nice, but it is out of budget for me.

Also, I was scared to pay a lot of money for a used HF radio. So, I opted for a new ICOM IC-7410 that had the knobs, buttons, great LCD display, and the radio treats CW as first class citizen instead of an afterthought.

Makes a good AM Broadcast and Shortwave Broadcast radio too. Want to listen to music on a far away station like WSM late at night, no problem. Want to listen to some interesting news or music from another country, you can. Even the noise blanker and Digital Noise Reduction works on these bands and modes too!

I have made contacts on 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, and 6 meters. Mostly SSB, but on 10 and 6 I have made FM contacts. And on 10, I have made AM contacts. Helps that I have a good OCF Dipole antenna.

I listen to CW on the code portions, but I am not ready to make my first CW contact. CW sounds so much nicer on this radio. Plus, I like the idea you can practice sending CW without it transmitting. The tone is so much nicer compared to awful code practice oscillators, such as, MFJ, Ameco...

I've only listened to 160, 60, and 30 meters, but it works well on those bands. My antenna is not designed for 160m.

The built-in RTTY decoder is interesting to use once you can find where some RTTY is. Better to hook up your computer via USB cable and install Ham Radio Deluxe to do RTTY and other digital modes like PSK31. No special adapter or signallink needed. Just take a normal printer usb A/B cable and hook it directory from your computer to your ham radio. You will need to download the USB driver from ICOM's web site.

I would definitely recommend this to other hams wanting to get into HF.

W5JV Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Ideal for MARS & General Operating  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a well made transceiver that I have found is ideal for MARS and net work. With LDG's little automatic antenna tuner for ICOM, it performs beyond what its own little internal ant tuner can do and matches my HF type dipole safely from low end to high end continuous. The tune function restricts output power so that the LDG tuner finds an instant match and then turns control back to the rig. The keyer function works well and the included microphone gets good reports. And, as other users have found, the accessory filters are nice to have but not needed in normal use. My criticism would probably apply to any manufacturer: the menu system is NOT intuitive so still a work in progress. Since Japanese manuals are written for engineers and experienced hams, it is not at all easy to work through if you have an old school background. Still, worth the effort and you forget all this once you're in a QSO.

YY5MKI Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Tremendo radio de icom   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Este radio lo recomiendo al 100x100 ,no tiene nada que envidiar a los otros modelos icom como el ic-7600,ic-7700 y el ic-7800 ,todos los filtros y componentes son de ultima generación,claro yo le compre los filtros de techo de 6 khz y de 3 khz ,es la una opción que trae para instalaciones internas para este fabuloso radio HF/6 metros .La antenna tunner es de lo mejor tunea súper rápido. es una radio de 10 kg de peso muy robusto con buen chasis de aluminio....muy contento

YY5MKI Philip 73

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Second time around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 7410 and wanted another radio. I gave the choice due diligence and went through all of the available radios that are close to the same price point. It came out the same way as the first time. The 7410 is a well made, simple to use, stable radio. The menus are not complex. The display is easy to use and understand. I got the two roofing filters but, they are never used because the basic filtering is excellent. I can tailor audio in and out with ease. I did it twice and came up with the same answer twice. I am very please with both of my 7410s.

OR5A Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 21:19 Send this review to a friend
A lot of bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For those who want a solid performer and don't want to spend a pile of money I think this Icom IC-7410 has most to offer. Owning and having owned some high end radios like TS-990, IC-7700, IC-7600, FT1000D I have some material to compare to.

First I was temped to look at the TS-590. Just a bit cheaper but all the trouble about the ALC overshoot and some distorted audio kept me from buying that radio although the 590's receiver is hot.

The someone told me why not look at the IC-7410. It has everything I need and more and is in the same price range as the TS-590 is. Icom had addressed the overshoot on this model so buying new I knew that the problem was solved.

I must says that the performance of the IC-7410 surpasses my expectations. Owing the IC-7600 I can say that if you don't need the band scope and dual watch, just put the optional 3 kHz roofing filter in the IC-7410 and you have a equally capable receiver that to me in some occasions is even a tiny bit better pulling out the week stations.

I particularly like the big screen with big numbers, S-meter and the layout of all knobs is very familiar with the family of Icom radios on the market today. DSP works very well, I like the filtering and just like the 7600 I can tailor the RX and TX audio and set cut off and bandwidth to adjust everything to my liking.

Bonus are two keyer inputs, memory keyer, tuner, two antenna inputs, all important functions directly from the front panel, USB connection (plus C-IV at the same time). The radio is very quiet and has a very large heat sink so the fan barely comes on. It delivers its power very well and runs for hours and hours without a glitch. Pre amp 1 is very good for bands 12 and 10 and preamp 2 is good for 50 MHz.

Really, I thinks this IC-7410 is among the best you can get with a budget under 2K $. Since I wasn't using the 7600's band scope that much I find myself using the 7410 a lot more. Big bang for the buck.

N1ULV Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 19:30 Send this review to a friend
one of my favorites....but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think this is a great radio. I've have owned many rigs including the Yaesu markV field,ft-990 ft-2000, kenwood ts-570, 850, 930....and many more....so i feel confident in saying the 7410 hits on all cylinders....I have however noticed a glitch I believe is in the firmware. I still give this rig a 5 because it is so good in all other areas including ergos, audio, and ease of use....great quality feel too. it seems to me that since Icom started doing the ALC OVERSHOOT mod at the factory ...starting at ser. # 02002071
that this glitch appeared. Ive had 2 radios since the factory mod and they both exhibited this issue. I have tried to document this issue in a video here.