Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

W9BB Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio/Great Price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won't rehash what some have said and just state a couple of my likes. I never had a radio high end or other that had a NB (other than the great one int eh FT-920) or NR function that actually worked, especially, in an ICOM. Knobs are great feel and solid size, and I love the ability to see my ALC, Power Out and Compression all at the same time. The receiver is excellent, on par with teh 7600 and 7700. Also confirmed by Sherwood's receiver test data. For the money, you get a sweet radio, one with a solid feel, great features and a well built unit.

G4RNI Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 03:18 Send this review to a friend
STUNNINGLY GOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
My all time favourite was always going to be the IC-751A, closely followed, or equalled, by the IC-775DSP but as that's a 200W jobbie it's unfair to place them side by side.
Now, after having owned around four IC-7410's I have to say that it's my current favourite 100W base HF radio.
Built like a tank and with controls so logically placed, including the mic gain and RF power all too often relegated to a menu slot, it's so easy to drive.
BIG and clear display, monochrome yes but being quite colourblind it's better for my eyes than them being swamped with reds, greens & blues that I struggle to separate.
For white stick operators it has a clear, concise voice announcement of frequency, mode and even signal strength. Superb.
The noise blanker all but eliminated an S9+40dB plasma TV buzz although audio distortion was just beginning to set in. You can't have it all.
The PA is built around TWO power fets, each capable of running 100Watts so at the stated 100W output it's just cruising.
Icom overpriced the set when it first appeared and it had ALC issues if used to drive a linear. The issue is eliminated on builds over the past 2 years or so (it's June 2016 now) and many earlier versions have been re-engineered by Icom to cure the issue. If you don't run a linear it's not a problem.
Sensitivity is with the best for the state of the art. Signal handling is better than many but not as good as more expensive sets. It's all mode as standard with no additional SSB/CW filters to buy although the close in performance can be somewhat enhanced by plugging in one or both of the 3 and 6kHz roofing filters.
Used prices have dropped to around 800 GBP, $1000 so it's now very good value.
Something that will perform, stand the test of time and won't have you tearing your hair out, trying to remember which menu is for what.

Highly recommended!

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2016 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Ditto on all the comments by the previous reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm in fully agree with the previous review :)

I had previously owned & operated this rig (w/all filters) when it first came out. Operated SSB (2%), CW (2%), BUT mostly on digital modes; had
an external high-power antenna tuner. It operated super in any mode. Because of finances, had to downgrade, kinda sorry I did now :(

WA7AXT Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2016 09:17 Send this review to a friend
A very good rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my ic 7410 new from HRO. I had them install all the filters. The filtering is excellent, and the adjustments you can make are really helpful. Everything works as described in the manual. So far, I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever due to manufacture. All the issues I have had were due to my failure to read the manual! There is a steep learning curve regarding all the features; however reading the friendly manual is helpful, and has answered my questions. The audio is very good; and can be adjusted through the easily accessible menu. The internal cw keyer is nice and has adjustments. The noise reduction feature is very effective, as is the noise blanker. The notch filter is fantastic. There are two antenna sockets, which is really nice. If you only use one of the sockets, I would HIGHLY recommend putting a dummy load on the unused one. If you inadvertently hit the "antenna" button and switch outputs, you could easily damage the rf output circuit if the key is accidentally hit at full power. Although the fan is a bit noisy, I would rather have the rig cooled off than have a quiet fan. Given the chance, I would buy this rig again with no hesitation.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2016 20:53 Send this review to a friend
beastly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this thing is a beast. it is big and heavy and looks bad ass. I've only had it for a day and have made contacts into Russia, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia. all on 75 watts or less. I also have been using the sm-30 mic which I highly recommend. I also got the optional roofing filters. not sure if I need them, but they are fun to play with. anyway, this radio has been recently discontinued and I highly recommend it.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 15:59 Send this review to a friend
WHAT A FANTASTIC TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built like a panzer tank. Quiet selective receiver. I suggest not bothering with the optional filters as the radio receives quiet well without them. Big bright display. Plays identical as my ic-7600 for less that half the cost. Icom might have bombed out with the 746 pro but made up for it with the 7410. What a fine solid transceiver.

WD8DKB Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2016 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree with all of the 5 ratings. Very easy to use and feels like quality. Everything just works for me. I noticed today that AES has the IC-7410 listed as a Close Out. I can understand that considering todays competition. But it is a proven design that is reliable and well built. Wish they could just keep them in the line up. Very tempting to take advantage of the on going price drops and purchase another. 73 Max

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HRO @ $1300 seems like a fair price for this Rig. QC seems very good. Supplied Hand Mic is fair but SM-30 desk mic drives the radio much better. Filters,ANF,MNF,NR work very well. Receiver is very good. Like the Mini band scope and Antenna tuner is quick and works great. This is one of the better HF radios I have owned. Menu system is easy enough. Like this radio very much. Go Icom! 73

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom just updated mine to cure the over-shoot problem. Also did the mod so that I can use it on 60 metres. Using the newly acquired AH4 auto atu. Really pleased with the set-up now. As a keen ex RAF CW operator I would recommend it as a substantially constructed radio with some proper man-sized knobs. I particularly like the decent sized control knob for adjusting RF power.

KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Best Middle Grade TRX!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this for a few months now and have not once regretted my purchase (especially since mine came with both 3&6 kHz roofing filters for under a grand!) I will say, my ONLY complaints are that the ATU isn't as wide range as hoped. Granted, it says only 3:1 and that is about right, but my previous703+ also was 3:1 and could tune my antenna 160-6, where this only does 40-6. I am not knocking a star off for this and is still working within advertised specs. Also, 60 meters is a PITA to access until you program it into memory. Now, onto the good:

Firstly, it is very well laid out. Yes, the screen is monochrome. But it is bright enough for any room / outdoor lighting and the contrast is excellent. I usually run the contrast at 50% / brightness at ~25% and have no problems with visibility. The frequency display is big and clear, and all the functions are easily visible. I love that you can see ALC, SWR, and PO gauges simultaneously. The menu system is logical and all the commonly accessed features are available with the multi-function buttons right below the screen! I have used a bunch of Icom HF rigs: IC-706, IC-7200, and the IC-703+. The menu structure and buttons are logical to me so I never had to pull the manual out.

The buttons are logically laid out also, grouped together appropriately and the ones with short and long press functions make. I love having the Power Adjustment as a larger knob, as well as all the other dual concentric knobs on the left side. The Twin Passband Tuning is a dream to use, just like the one I fell in love with on the 7200. And the IF DSP NR is magical. That is not an exaggeration -- my previous 703+ has a great receiver, but the AF DSP didn't work as well. On a really noisy signal, the highest you could use it was 30-40% before it started degrading speech intelligibility. I live in a very RFI noisy QTH and the 7410's DSP NR squashes most of it. If I come across a really noisy signal, turning the NR up to about 9-10 o'clock and the signal is magically audible! Then, use the twin PBT to knock out any adjacent signals, and even adjust the RF gain or switch on the attenuation and a signal buried in the mud appears out of nowhere. I believe those that say the receiver is every bit as good as the IC-7600 -- the noise floor on this radio is very quiet and has countless ways to dig a signal out of the mud. Speaking of that -- the filters:

For SSB, I run 2.9 kHz on Filter 1, 2.4 kHz on Filter 2, and 1.9 kHz on Filter 3. I typically use the soft filter shape, except for usually on Filter 1 I use the sharp shape. I love that you can save the IF-Shift / Twin PBT settings with the filter. For instance on Filter 3, it is pretty narrow so in standard shape, the audio is kind of harsh and sometimes is no improvement over a wider filter. However, if I move the center of the filter a few hundred Hz down, it makes the audio more pleasing and the signal appear clearer. Then, if you change back to Filter 1, change the frequency, or turn the radio off it saves your Passband Tuning preference with that filter! Now, with the stock (15 kHz) roofing filter I do notice a little more noise on the signals. However, this roofing filter works great for fidelity on the shortwave broadcast stations. Typically, I run the widest 15 kHz one for AM since it has the best fidelity for speech and music. But on noisier parts of the band, the 6 kHz roofing filter in SSB is a great (albeit mild) improvement in intelligibility due to having less noise in the passband. On really crowded or noisy portions of the band, I will run the 3 kHz roofing filter and it makes the noise floor seem quieter. Granted, the differences between even the stock 15 and 3 kHz roofing filters are mild, it does help. I am told that the change is mostly noticeable on CW or digital modes (RTTY, etc.) Granted, my HF rig usage is limited (my prior TS-830s, IC-706, IC-7200, IC-703+, then my friends' FT-857D, FT-450D, FT-817D, FT-897D, FT-950, TS-2000, and an assortment of 10 meter all mode 25 watt mobiles), this receiver is by far the quietest and most selective. The FT-950 was very close selectivity wise, but the noise reduction was not as drastic. The TS-830S had the most pleasing received audio (especially since I had the SP-230 with adjustable Hi/Lo cuts), but the selectivity was not as good.

Other positives -- 1) I love the size and heft of this. It is a full sized base radio. I used to work portable a lot but now am busier in my everyday life. I doubt this will be out /P often, but I WILL use it for Field Day this year! 2) Power out on 40-20 meters into a resonant antenna on CW or RTTY is a solid 125 watts! Granted I never do this in actual usage, but it is nice to know. I have gotten voice peaks on 40, 20, and 15 around 115 watts (the ALC fix has been applied). 6 meters SSB (through a tuner into a non-resonant antenna with about a 1.3:1 SWR was 85 on voice peaks, 95 CW/RTTY). 3) The RX EQ is a great feature. I know the FT-950 has a slightly more advanced EQ (parametric EQ, etc.), but I run mine with no low-pass and bass at -1 on an external speaker; internal speaker I enable the low-pass around 200 Hz to prevent buzzing on my IC-275 that sits atop this radio. The TX bandwidth adjustment is great -- I have not tweaked it extensively, but with the default "Wide" setting, I have received positive comments on my voice even with the hand-mic. Narrow is just typical Icom TX audio: kind of flat and boring, but effective for DX. Never received unsolicited comments in this mode. I would realistically give this radio a 4.8/5, so 5 will have to do!

Possible future upgrades: Icom AH-4 or LDG Z-100Plus ATU for portable ops. The AH-4 is supposed to be an exceptional tuner (both range and durability), that is both fast and great because it can be mounted right at the antenna. I do worry a bit about the 100 watt rating since I can hit 125 on some bands. That's where the Z-100Plus comes in. It has a 125 watt rating and I have had the IT-100 before with my IC-7200, where it worked seamlessly. Currently, I use an MFJ-949E to supplement the ATU for 80 and 60 meters. That being said, a better multiband antenna. Also, I would like to get a good desk microphone like an SM-30. However, both of those are not immediate needs. I do have a few full range 4" speaker drivers I would like to build a small enclosure for and possibly add tone controls.