Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2013 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid Icom Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only work cw. Being a horse trader I acquired a used 7410 with both filters installed. I have owned many recently minted rigs as I enjoy using different radios as part of this great hobby. Having owned many of the same radios at the same time I have made an observation that you may find helpful. Radios are typically adjusted and aligned by a warm body before they leave the factory. Two radios sitting side by side can actually perform differently depending on who put the finishing touches on them, sometimes very differently. That explains why reviews can vary from one review to the next. Getting back to the 7410, mine has super smooth quiet QSK with no clicking. There is no fan noise. The receiver is excellent with a very quiet noise floor. The build quality is excellent. The menu is one of simplest of any of the newly released radios. If you have ever owned an Icom there is no learning curve or any reason to open the owners manual. I personally prefer the build quality of the Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu radios over TenTec or Elecraft not to say that they or not great performers. In this price range a perspective buyer would do well with this radio, the TS-590, or the Yaesu Ftdx1200. They all have different pluses and minuses but you can work the same same stations with any of them.

AD9P Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent   Time owned: months
Overall considering the cost this is a very good transceiver.
Great DSP, excellent audio both transmitted, and received.

Thanks
AL

KC2RCX Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2013 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Very Compitent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom IC-7410
Firmware version release 1, August 8th, 2013.

For those of you who have been contemplating the toss up, as I have, between a Kenwood TS-590S, Yaesu FTDX-1200 and Icom's IC-7410 offerings, rest assured if you made the 7410 your choice, you won’t be disappointed. Of course, all three radios are very capable and have a unique feature set respectfully.

After operating with these 3 for some time at our local HRO, I will say the fit and finish is comparable between the 7410 and TS.

For those that seek more manual control with minimum internal menu systems, the Icom is the clear choice regarding this.
Mind you though, there are several menu driven parameters in the 7410, but once set, most of the functionality is provided by the front radio controls or just a tap of a button.
Here are the Dilemmas I faced with my choice. Everyone has a preference, and that's what makes this all unique to our personalities and operational preferences.
I am commenting on the standalone radio itself and not on an umbilical cord attached to my PC which software programs may or may not enhance certain operating aspects. Could care less about a computer controlling my radio. That’s what the Flex radio systems offer if one likes that.
Band edge beep, for those that want the flexibility to know when one enters and leaves a particular ham band, fully programmable, the 7410 has this; TS and FT do not and is not an option. For those that want internal Voice synthesized feed-back for S signal, frequency and mode, the 7410 has this, the others are optional. 6 and 3 KHz roofing filters are optional with the 7410 ($100.00 per) and standard with the TS and FT. Both the Kenwood and Yaesu have transmit capability on the Emergency Alaskan frequency 5167.5, the 7410 does not. The FT allows you to program you maximum RF output with visual feedback for set point, and, when you change it, the 7410 does not. Don’t know about the TS. Kenwood’s foot print makes it more desirable for portable operation and I would say without a shadow of a doubt, that the receiver and audio quality from a receiving aspect capability in the TS cannot be beat with any radio the big three currently offer at any level of radio, standalone operation.
The list of comparisons goes on. It’s all about self preference. As I mentioned earlier, they are all quite capable.
Conclusion: IC-7410 will not disappoint in both receive and transmit capability and quality. I found the NR/NB circuits extremely affective in dealing with QRM and manmade noise especially working in unison with each other. The built in speaker is tolerable but a good outboard will prove favorable for long listening periods.
The radio looks, sounds and feels like a radio and has a quality feel on all knobs and VFO. I don’t use the term rig as it reminds me of the 70’s with CB’s. These radios in my opinion deserve to be called just that, a radio and or transceiver.. No spike issues as some mentioned, internal fan often nonexistent with both casual receive and transmit. Things I don’t like are the power and transmit buttons are located at top left and transmit is going to get pressed by accident in lieu of the power button, regardless of who you are, and regardless of how good an operator you are, this is going to happen.
No ability to prevent lockout transmit on antenna not in use. My fault, but transmitted not once, but twice into two Heathkit Active antennas, one day apart and sent both of them to Heath heaven. I was using them to monitor the bands I wanted to work as I have a High”Q” loop that I use for transmit. So, I forgot to switch back to antenna 1 to the high Q . Had I had the ability to prevent transmit to the assigned antenna as I choose, I wouldn’t be writing this.
Bottom line is I would recommend this radio for its performance, features, build quality, frequency stability, accuracy and overall joy to operate. I suspect that those that opt for the more menu driven radios as mentioned in this overview would eventually seek the feature set of the 7410 in comparison once they tire from the lack of outboard operational capability the TS and Yaesu do not have to offer. The 7410 is firmware upgrade-able for those that have been asking. Both the TS and 7410 have built in USB connectivity while the FT does not but can with an option purchase. Hope this helped a little in your choice of radio/s.
73’s

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 15:56 Send this review to a friend
excellent rig-overall  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this model-rig ever since it came out. I especially enjoy the large numbers display, since my eyesight is declining; also like the variable-notch, cw pitch and the NB/NR controls. Have all filters installed.

Operate digital modes with SignaLink USB

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great radio   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own this radio since 8 month now, it is easy to handle and has a great DNR like allmost all Icoms. The Display is very good to read, very well done as we are not getting younger.....
Not more to say as I like it very much and can recommend to all , simple to use, very sensitive RX . I got great modulation reports with the included original microphone. vy 73

VK4FAUS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 03:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a nice quality radio. Nice firm knobs, buttons and solid VFO, with a nice smooth action. Nicely laid out front, and if you have ever had an Icom HF in the last 10-12 years you will instantly be familiar with the user friendly layout. As always the NR is on it's own knob for infinite adjustment of the DSP, plus the 7410 now has the NB also on it's own knob for likewise infinite adjustability. This is somewhat different from earlier HF Icoms, which usually had a button only affair.

This radio does have menu's, of course, but pleasantly laid out and intuitive for a previous Icom user. The screen is a pleasant to the eye colour and the fonts are also easy on the eye for the many hours you will be looking upon the screen. The screen is VERY similar to the 746,746pro and 7400, which this radio is intended to replace, even though it has no VHF like the radios above. A curious omission, for a replacement radio.

I only use extension speakers so all my radios tend to sound the same, but the audio is clear and concise. The DSP works very well, and is far more powerful than what I am used to on my older DSP radios. No need to adjust the DSP too far for this baby to trample any noise or interference. Quite impressive, when you have an older DSP equipped Icom side by side and just listen to how the 7410 tackles the same task. In my case I have a 756proII sitting below my 7410, and the difference in DSP methods is quite startling. I'm lucky in regard to noise in general that I rarely need to use DSP or NB at all. I live in rural Australia and have a VERY low noise floor.

I love this radio, and I think you will too, it's ease of use, it's quality workmanship and it's ergonomics are a joy. If you like your radios, to be well built, easy to use yet powerful in there function, and you like to be able to drag those weak signals to the fore, and be heard in a clear and concise manner, then you will do no better than the 7410.

If I had to niggle. The ability to stick a pan adaptor to it, a clock in the screen and maybe VHF would be a good thing, especially as this radio is intended to replace radios, with VHF as standard. But dont let that hinder you in giving this radio a go. She's a deadset beaut HF radio that will be part of your shack for many years to come.

VA6KOA Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2013 21:17 Send this review to a friend
VFO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here I am again with another problem with the7410 VFO. Installed the 3 kHz filter as per the manual and the
VFO stopped working... Yes just stopped working... So once agin I am sending my $2000 radio in for repairs... Did I just get a lemon? I don't know but I am tired of supporting purolator for repair depot shipping... Next time Will not be an Icom!

ZL1LK Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2013 02:17 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this Icom IC-7410 new about three months ago and got all the roofing filters installed. Well what can I say!!! I also owned a FT2000 and a IC756pro2. After just a couple of weeks I sold the FT2000 and the IC756pro2 with no regrets...
The 7410 can pull in extremely week SSB signals through noise and cleans up the signal with it's amazing DSP filtering. CW signal sound great with it's variable IF band width and the 3kHz roofing filter.

It is a real joy operating this radio although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 2000 and the pro2. The LCD display is great on the eye's to look at with a large frequency readout.
The menu is very simple and once it's setup, I found there was no need to go back in to the menu.

The audio through it's own built-in speaker is excellent.

I can NOT fault this radio and for those looking for a new radio, you will NOT be disappointed with the Icom IC-7410 but get the 3kHz and the 6kHz roofing filters install first.

73 de ZL1LK Roy

KF5HVW Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2013 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Good radio except for the receiver.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Overall I like the radio, but the receiver is no comparison to the one in my Elecraft K3.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2013 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Icom IC-7400; excellent first impressions.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My new Icom IC-7410 HF/50 MHz transceiver was delivered the other day and I thought I might give first impressions. The new radio is destined for my summer house, since I already own an IC-7600. I must say that I still find it exciting to open a box with a new transceiver, although this reviewer has been licensed for 40 years and has opened a number of such packages in his time. For us, who live in remote parts of the world (in my case Iceland), there is the worry that delicate electronic equipment will not arrive in one piece. In this case I am pleased to report that the radio arrived in perfect condition and works 100% thanks to Icom’s protective packaging.

Once connected, the first thing I noticed was that the 7410 turns on immediately whereas my 7600 takes a “long” second. Nice. Then, of course, the large LCD display. I instantly took a liking to the frequency readout and its size, i.e. the font used and its color, which is in comfortable dark violet color on a very light grey/greenish monochrome background. This combination is pleasing to the eyes. I had previously read on the Internet that the LED display was supposed to be black and white; not true. Still, this may be something that the manufacturer has changed since the first production of the 7410; the serial number of my radio is 2001841. On the other hand, display information that is not “fixed” on the screen (e.g. SCAN, MEM, SWR, etc.) appears in black color.

I find tuning the 7410 similar to tuning my 7600; velvet smooth and precise action that has a quality feeling to it. And I particularly like the size of the VHF knob. To me this is important, since at times I tend to listen more than I operate (which means much turning of the VFO). But I have yet to control my transceivers from a computer (although I anticipate doing so when becoming QRV on RTTY). I also want to mention that I like the movement of the S-meter which is a bar type meter; in this case I find using the meter peak hold function essential.

On CW, I reprogrammed the CW filters to my liking, at 900 Hz, 700 Hz and 500 Hz. For SSB, at 2.1 kHz, 2.4 kHz and 3.6 kHz bandwidths. I pleased to report that there is no degrading or ringing effect to the received signal; even at the narrowest bandwidth on CW (I also tested the 250 Hz bandwidth). The receiver has a noticeable quiet noise floor which means that weak signals are easily copied. The receiver is also exceptionally pleasant on the ears when listening on the bands for extended time and on par with my 7600 (or even better). I like the noise reduction feature (NR) and the passband tuning controls as well as the notch function. I could not be without these aids now that I am used to them. These features are in function and quality-wise on the same level as in my 7600.

I have to say that I am most pleased that Icom included the triple band stacking feature in this transceiver since I use it a lot. Although mostly a CW man, I also listen to SSB signals up the bands. I must also mention the manual spectrum scope, which is a nice feature. To activate it, you push F1 briefly and in a split second there appears a snapshot of band activity. And if F1 is held down for 1 second, band activity can be seen longer. The drawback is that when the band scope is activated, audio is muted. Nevertheless, a nice feature to have.

Concerning this transceiver, there is not much to dislike. And what I do not like or miss, is not essential for operating purposes. Nevertheless, I must mention the internal speaker which is not to my liking (in fact, most internal speakers in HF transceivers are not). Consequently, when not using my headphones, I use the Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker (which I find superior to others I have owned/tested). Secondly, I miss not having a clock in the display. Lastly, I miss the automatic tuning switch and audio peak filter (APF) for CW that are standard features on the 7600. Then again, it may not be fair to compare these features between models, since the 7600 costs almost $2000 more than the 7410.

I need to mention that I have still to buy the 3 kHz and 6 kHz roofing filters. Those are about $100 a piece. During the time I have had the 7410 there were no major international contests on the bands. Consequently, I did not miss not having the optional roofing filters installed. I read complaints about the fan. In my case it has only come on after approx. 3 hours in receive mode and then barely noticeable. Perhaps Icom has remedied this [earlier] problem? I still need to test the transceiver on transmit, so in the near future I will give an account of that experience.

This concludes my first impressions of the new IC-7410 transceiver.

73 de Jónas, TF3JB.