Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HRO @ $1300 seems like a fair price for this Rig. QC seems very good. Supplied Hand Mic is fair but SM-30 desk mic drives the radio much better. Filters,ANF,MNF,NR work very well. Receiver is very good. Like the Mini band scope and Antenna tuner is quick and works great. This is one of the better HF radios I have owned. Menu system is easy enough. Like this radio very much. Go Icom! 73
VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2016 16:41 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought a 2nd.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have written a previous review of this fine transceiver some time back.
I thought I may update and write a second glowing report for what I believe is one of the best value amateur products ever released!
Recently I saw an advertisement in the Australian VK Ham site for a mint IC 7410 including an SM-50 mic for AUS $1300.00 (Approx $965 US dollars).
I often listen on my IC 765 for a scheduled contact and ragchew with a couple of locals on the 7410 so the thought of a pair of potent 7410s side by side in my purpose built console looked mighty appealing.
As I was about to do the 1000klm drive down to Sydney the next week and the seller was a short deviation off the Pacific Highway, at Port Macquarie. I contacted and made arrangements to pickup. On arrival I was presented with a mint 7410 all ready for re-boxing, an unmarked SM-50 and a fully bound hi quality manual. The seller was primarily a VHF/Uhf man and had his eyes on a new Icom model, we had the usual Hammy chat and as with many contacts a real pleasure.
Well 2 months later I have a pair of 7410s angled up to me on my console with the IC 765 above to the right.(The IC 765 is a keeper!)
Here down-under the average new price of an IC 7410 is AUS$2000-2100,US$1490-1560 an IC-7600 is AUS$4700, US$3500.
My point is that for AUS$600-700 US$470-$520 less than the price of an IC 7600 one can have 2 IC 7410's.
Advantage true diversity trans/reception, an equivilent back up and every bit as good or some of us suggest slightly better receiver than the IC7600.
As others have described using a monitor, a bandscope is available in a bigger format if needs be, I don't find need for the use of a scope that often personally.
I am as impressed with the 7410 now as I was with the original purchase on release.
It is difficult to imagine huge leaps in tranceiver performance in the near future although many of us are waiting for reviews on Icoms newly released IC-7300 with it new RF direct sampling system. But again it looks to be a menu driven compact unit.
In summation the size and presence of a base radio is important to me, having a control on the facia for most regularly needed adjustments is desirable and an easily read screen.
Ergonomics, feel and solid good looks and again presence are IMHO all there in this radio.

Icom have hit a home run with this transceiver and one only has to look at the vast majority of favourable reviews here on E-Ham to recognise this.
Also so far, this has been a very reliable radio, apart from the well acknowledged ALC issue that has been addressed in later production and I'm told can be reprogrammed in earlier units this is a solid radio!
I have not had an ALC problem appear with an IC2KL linear and AT-500 auto tuner.
Backlighting issues and finals failures as in the IC 746/Pro and IC-7400 have not arisen and the unit has been around long enough for these issues to reveal themselve.
My only fault has been the early failure of the rear speaker output in my original early prod 7410 that as yet I haven't investigated and may be as simple as a bad contact.
I highly recommend this transceiver to new amateurs and grizzly old timers as it ticks most boxes for excellent pricing and great performance!
I believe this unit will remain as one of Icoms classics alongside radios such as the IC-735, 751a,761,765,775DSP R71a etc.
To those looking for a new or replacement radio you would be remiss in not trying out a 7410!
It really is that good!
G4OER Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom just updated mine to cure the over-shoot problem. Also did the mod so that I can use it on 60 metres. Using the newly acquired AH4 auto atu. Really pleased with the set-up now. As a keen ex RAF CW operator I would recommend it as a substantially constructed radio with some proper man-sized knobs. I particularly like the decent sized control knob for adjusting RF power.
KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Best Middle Grade TRX!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this for a few months now and have not once regretted my purchase (especially since mine came with both 3&6 kHz roofing filters for under a grand!) I will say, my ONLY complaints are that the ATU isn't as wide range as hoped. Granted, it says only 3:1 and that is about right, but my previous703+ also was 3:1 and could tune my antenna 160-6, where this only does 40-6. I am not knocking a star off for this and is still working within advertised specs. Also, 60 meters is a PITA to access until you program it into memory. Now, onto the good:

Firstly, it is very well laid out. Yes, the screen is monochrome. But it is bright enough for any room / outdoor lighting and the contrast is excellent. I usually run the contrast at 50% / brightness at ~25% and have no problems with visibility. The frequency display is big and clear, and all the functions are easily visible. I love that you can see ALC, SWR, and PO gauges simultaneously. The menu system is logical and all the commonly accessed features are available with the multi-function buttons right below the screen! I have used a bunch of Icom HF rigs: IC-706, IC-7200, and the IC-703+. The menu structure and buttons are logical to me so I never had to pull the manual out.

The buttons are logically laid out also, grouped together appropriately and the ones with short and long press functions make. I love having the Power Adjustment as a larger knob, as well as all the other dual concentric knobs on the left side. The Twin Passband Tuning is a dream to use, just like the one I fell in love with on the 7200. And the IF DSP NR is magical. That is not an exaggeration -- my previous 703+ has a great receiver, but the AF DSP didn't work as well. On a really noisy signal, the highest you could use it was 30-40% before it started degrading speech intelligibility. I live in a very RFI noisy QTH and the 7410's DSP NR squashes most of it. If I come across a really noisy signal, turning the NR up to about 9-10 o'clock and the signal is magically audible! Then, use the twin PBT to knock out any adjacent signals, and even adjust the RF gain or switch on the attenuation and a signal buried in the mud appears out of nowhere. I believe those that say the receiver is every bit as good as the IC-7600 -- the noise floor on this radio is very quiet and has countless ways to dig a signal out of the mud. Speaking of that -- the filters:

For SSB, I run 2.9 kHz on Filter 1, 2.4 kHz on Filter 2, and 1.9 kHz on Filter 3. I typically use the soft filter shape, except for usually on Filter 1 I use the sharp shape. I love that you can save the IF-Shift / Twin PBT settings with the filter. For instance on Filter 3, it is pretty narrow so in standard shape, the audio is kind of harsh and sometimes is no improvement over a wider filter. However, if I move the center of the filter a few hundred Hz down, it makes the audio more pleasing and the signal appear clearer. Then, if you change back to Filter 1, change the frequency, or turn the radio off it saves your Passband Tuning preference with that filter! Now, with the stock (15 kHz) roofing filter I do notice a little more noise on the signals. However, this roofing filter works great for fidelity on the shortwave broadcast stations. Typically, I run the widest 15 kHz one for AM since it has the best fidelity for speech and music. But on noisier parts of the band, the 6 kHz roofing filter in SSB is a great (albeit mild) improvement in intelligibility due to having less noise in the passband. On really crowded or noisy portions of the band, I will run the 3 kHz roofing filter and it makes the noise floor seem quieter. Granted, the differences between even the stock 15 and 3 kHz roofing filters are mild, it does help. I am told that the change is mostly noticeable on CW or digital modes (RTTY, etc.) Granted, my HF rig usage is limited (my prior TS-830s, IC-706, IC-7200, IC-703+, then my friends' FT-857D, FT-450D, FT-817D, FT-897D, FT-950, TS-2000, and an assortment of 10 meter all mode 25 watt mobiles), this receiver is by far the quietest and most selective. The FT-950 was very close selectivity wise, but the noise reduction was not as drastic. The TS-830S had the most pleasing received audio (especially since I had the SP-230 with adjustable Hi/Lo cuts), but the selectivity was not as good.

Other positives -- 1) I love the size and heft of this. It is a full sized base radio. I used to work portable a lot but now am busier in my everyday life. I doubt this will be out /P often, but I WILL use it for Field Day this year! 2) Power out on 40-20 meters into a resonant antenna on CW or RTTY is a solid 125 watts! Granted I never do this in actual usage, but it is nice to know. I have gotten voice peaks on 40, 20, and 15 around 115 watts (the ALC fix has been applied). 6 meters SSB (through a tuner into a non-resonant antenna with about a 1.3:1 SWR was 85 on voice peaks, 95 CW/RTTY). 3) The RX EQ is a great feature. I know the FT-950 has a slightly more advanced EQ (parametric EQ, etc.), but I run mine with no low-pass and bass at -1 on an external speaker; internal speaker I enable the low-pass around 200 Hz to prevent buzzing on my IC-275 that sits atop this radio. The TX bandwidth adjustment is great -- I have not tweaked it extensively, but with the default "Wide" setting, I have received positive comments on my voice even with the hand-mic. Narrow is just typical Icom TX audio: kind of flat and boring, but effective for DX. Never received unsolicited comments in this mode. I would realistically give this radio a 4.8/5, so 5 will have to do!

Possible future upgrades: Icom AH-4 or LDG Z-100Plus ATU for portable ops. The AH-4 is supposed to be an exceptional tuner (both range and durability), that is both fast and great because it can be mounted right at the antenna. I do worry a bit about the 100 watt rating since I can hit 125 on some bands. That's where the Z-100Plus comes in. It has a 125 watt rating and I have had the IT-100 before with my IC-7200, where it worked seamlessly. Currently, I use an MFJ-949E to supplement the ATU for 80 and 60 meters. That being said, a better multiband antenna. Also, I would like to get a good desk microphone like an SM-30. However, both of those are not immediate needs. I do have a few full range 4" speaker drivers I would like to build a small enclosure for and possibly add tone controls.
IZ5MJQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2016 03:09 Send this review to a friend
The best for his price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It ' absolutely the best equipment in relation to the cost .
With its roofing filter installed has a receiver identical to that of 7600 at a price of about half , definitely does not have the display , the dual watch and goodies on the big brother , but if you search for the pure substance , and this performance is absolutely l ' device that no one can be lacking at the station !
K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2016 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Love this rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This performs better than my ProII or PROIII. It has serious build quality and feels like a base station. With Ham Radio Deluxe I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. It's a great value and does everything I need.
W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Follow Up - GREAT!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I have had the radio for a while now and this is a follow up.

Overall, not much more can be said that hasn't been said. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT receiving, same as the 7600, 7700 and really plays well.

The NB and NR (oddly enough for an ICOM) actually plays very well and is very effective.

Easy to use, and I really do appreciate seeing my ALC, Power Output and Compression level simultanesouly without having to select from other to the other. Sweet.

The Preamp is a very nice touch some radios omit and I rarely use it except with weak signals on 6 meters.

I really like this radio. Like the TS-590, I feel it is under-appreciated and undervalued.
KG5FJI Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio,   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Wonderful radio. Easy to us. Digital modes work wonderfully without any additional interface. Connects and rig control works via HRD. Nice selectivity, and the receive capabilities are very good. I have not found a need for the added filters. Great radio for phone and digital modes. I would recommend.
KB4YHO Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Built like a tank. Much improved receiver and DSP chipset than the now dated ProIII. Fantastic auto notch too, goes real deep without a lot of distortion. Same with the NR, way better than pervious generations. This is mostly due to the more up to date DSP chipset performance. Build quality and performance remind me of my IC765. These DSP rigs can have a fatiguing audio that many don't like but the 7410 has a definite analog type sound to the demodulated audio that again brings me back to the old IC765 performance. Also is one of the best SWL receivers I've used. Purchased durning Thanksgiving sale for $1279.00 at the local ham radio shop. Money left over for all the roofing filters and to add the SDR interface. Now have a 42" fish finder using HDSDR in concert with HRD to control the rig. Interfaced using just a single USB cable to my home computer/network I can remote in and use my ham station. Total cost was under $1500. Will put this setup against any modern day DSP base transceiver. Would buy again and highly recommend as a great SDR platform.
DG1UN Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2015 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio after 1 year, would buy again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very nice radio after 1 year. Would it buy again for this money. Well, you get many knobs for your money and it is a pleasure to use this TRX.
Tuner operates well with my vertical antenna.
USB-Interface operates well with Fldigi, but mostly i work in CW because i like to talk with my fingers not to use a computer.
The 3kHz filter is installed, but i think it is not necessary for CW, OK, it is not so expensive. The twin passband tunig works verry well.
Give 5.0 because this TRX is the best you can buy if you do not wont to spend all your money for transceivers. You dont need more functions or a waterfall display and so on.