Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom just updated mine to cure the over-shoot problem. Also did the mod so that I can use it on 60 metres. Using the newly acquired AH4 auto atu. Really pleased with the set-up now. As a keen ex RAF CW operator I would recommend it as a substantially constructed radio with some proper man-sized knobs. I particularly like the decent sized control knob for adjusting RF power.

KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Best Middle Grade TRX!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this for a few months now and have not once regretted my purchase (especially since mine came with both 3&6 kHz roofing filters for under a grand!) I will say, my ONLY complaints are that the ATU isn't as wide range as hoped. Granted, it says only 3:1 and that is about right, but my previous703+ also was 3:1 and could tune my antenna 160-6, where this only does 40-6. I am not knocking a star off for this and is still working within advertised specs. Also, 60 meters is a PITA to access until you program it into memory. Now, onto the good:

Firstly, it is very well laid out. Yes, the screen is monochrome. But it is bright enough for any room / outdoor lighting and the contrast is excellent. I usually run the contrast at 50% / brightness at ~25% and have no problems with visibility. The frequency display is big and clear, and all the functions are easily visible. I love that you can see ALC, SWR, and PO gauges simultaneously. The menu system is logical and all the commonly accessed features are available with the multi-function buttons right below the screen! I have used a bunch of Icom HF rigs: IC-706, IC-7200, and the IC-703+. The menu structure and buttons are logical to me so I never had to pull the manual out.

The buttons are logically laid out also, grouped together appropriately and the ones with short and long press functions make. I love having the Power Adjustment as a larger knob, as well as all the other dual concentric knobs on the left side. The Twin Passband Tuning is a dream to use, just like the one I fell in love with on the 7200. And the IF DSP NR is magical. That is not an exaggeration -- my previous 703+ has a great receiver, but the AF DSP didn't work as well. On a really noisy signal, the highest you could use it was 30-40% before it started degrading speech intelligibility. I live in a very RFI noisy QTH and the 7410's DSP NR squashes most of it. If I come across a really noisy signal, turning the NR up to about 9-10 o'clock and the signal is magically audible! Then, use the twin PBT to knock out any adjacent signals, and even adjust the RF gain or switch on the attenuation and a signal buried in the mud appears out of nowhere. I believe those that say the receiver is every bit as good as the IC-7600 -- the noise floor on this radio is very quiet and has countless ways to dig a signal out of the mud. Speaking of that -- the filters:

For SSB, I run 2.9 kHz on Filter 1, 2.4 kHz on Filter 2, and 1.9 kHz on Filter 3. I typically use the soft filter shape, except for usually on Filter 1 I use the sharp shape. I love that you can save the IF-Shift / Twin PBT settings with the filter. For instance on Filter 3, it is pretty narrow so in standard shape, the audio is kind of harsh and sometimes is no improvement over a wider filter. However, if I move the center of the filter a few hundred Hz down, it makes the audio more pleasing and the signal appear clearer. Then, if you change back to Filter 1, change the frequency, or turn the radio off it saves your Passband Tuning preference with that filter! Now, with the stock (15 kHz) roofing filter I do notice a little more noise on the signals. However, this roofing filter works great for fidelity on the shortwave broadcast stations. Typically, I run the widest 15 kHz one for AM since it has the best fidelity for speech and music. But on noisier parts of the band, the 6 kHz roofing filter in SSB is a great (albeit mild) improvement in intelligibility due to having less noise in the passband. On really crowded or noisy portions of the band, I will run the 3 kHz roofing filter and it makes the noise floor seem quieter. Granted, the differences between even the stock 15 and 3 kHz roofing filters are mild, it does help. I am told that the change is mostly noticeable on CW or digital modes (RTTY, etc.) Granted, my HF rig usage is limited (my prior TS-830s, IC-706, IC-7200, IC-703+, then my friends' FT-857D, FT-450D, FT-817D, FT-897D, FT-950, TS-2000, and an assortment of 10 meter all mode 25 watt mobiles), this receiver is by far the quietest and most selective. The FT-950 was very close selectivity wise, but the noise reduction was not as drastic. The TS-830S had the most pleasing received audio (especially since I had the SP-230 with adjustable Hi/Lo cuts), but the selectivity was not as good.

Other positives -- 1) I love the size and heft of this. It is a full sized base radio. I used to work portable a lot but now am busier in my everyday life. I doubt this will be out /P often, but I WILL use it for Field Day this year! 2) Power out on 40-20 meters into a resonant antenna on CW or RTTY is a solid 125 watts! Granted I never do this in actual usage, but it is nice to know. I have gotten voice peaks on 40, 20, and 15 around 115 watts (the ALC fix has been applied). 6 meters SSB (through a tuner into a non-resonant antenna with about a 1.3:1 SWR was 85 on voice peaks, 95 CW/RTTY). 3) The RX EQ is a great feature. I know the FT-950 has a slightly more advanced EQ (parametric EQ, etc.), but I run mine with no low-pass and bass at -1 on an external speaker; internal speaker I enable the low-pass around 200 Hz to prevent buzzing on my IC-275 that sits atop this radio. The TX bandwidth adjustment is great -- I have not tweaked it extensively, but with the default "Wide" setting, I have received positive comments on my voice even with the hand-mic. Narrow is just typical Icom TX audio: kind of flat and boring, but effective for DX. Never received unsolicited comments in this mode. I would realistically give this radio a 4.8/5, so 5 will have to do!

Possible future upgrades: Icom AH-4 or LDG Z-100Plus ATU for portable ops. The AH-4 is supposed to be an exceptional tuner (both range and durability), that is both fast and great because it can be mounted right at the antenna. I do worry a bit about the 100 watt rating since I can hit 125 on some bands. That's where the Z-100Plus comes in. It has a 125 watt rating and I have had the IT-100 before with my IC-7200, where it worked seamlessly. Currently, I use an MFJ-949E to supplement the ATU for 80 and 60 meters. That being said, a better multiband antenna. Also, I would like to get a good desk microphone like an SM-30. However, both of those are not immediate needs. I do have a few full range 4" speaker drivers I would like to build a small enclosure for and possibly add tone controls.

IZ5MJQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2016 03:09 Send this review to a friend
The best for his price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It ' absolutely the best equipment in relation to the cost .
With its roofing filter installed has a receiver identical to that of 7600 at a price of about half , definitely does not have the display , the dual watch and goodies on the big brother , but if you search for the pure substance , and this performance is absolutely l ' device that no one can be lacking at the station !

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2016 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Love this rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This performs better than my ProII or PROIII. It has serious build quality and feels like a base station. With Ham Radio Deluxe I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. It's a great value and does everything I need.

W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Follow Up - GREAT!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I have had the radio for a while now and this is a follow up.

Overall, not much more can be said that hasn't been said. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT receiving, same as the 7600, 7700 and really plays well.

The NB and NR (oddly enough for an ICOM) actually plays very well and is very effective.

Easy to use, and I really do appreciate seeing my ALC, Power Output and Compression level simultanesouly without having to select from other to the other. Sweet.

The Preamp is a very nice touch some radios omit and I rarely use it except with weak signals on 6 meters.

I really like this radio. Like the TS-590, I feel it is under-appreciated and undervalued.

KG5FJI Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio,   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Wonderful radio. Easy to us. Digital modes work wonderfully without any additional interface. Connects and rig control works via HRD. Nice selectivity, and the receive capabilities are very good. I have not found a need for the added filters. Great radio for phone and digital modes. I would recommend.

KB4YHO Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Built like a tank. Much improved receiver and DSP chipset than the now dated ProIII. Fantastic auto notch too, goes real deep without a lot of distortion. Same with the NR, way better than pervious generations. This is mostly due to the more up to date DSP chipset performance. Build quality and performance remind me of my IC765. These DSP rigs can have a fatiguing audio that many don't like but the 7410 has a definite analog type sound to the demodulated audio that again brings me back to the old IC765 performance. Also is one of the best SWL receivers I've used. Purchased durning Thanksgiving sale for $1279.00 at the local ham radio shop. Money left over for all the roofing filters and to add the SDR interface. Now have a 42" fish finder using HDSDR in concert with HRD to control the rig. Interfaced using just a single USB cable to my home computer/network I can remote in and use my ham station. Total cost was under $1500. Will put this setup against any modern day DSP base transceiver. Would buy again and highly recommend as a great SDR platform.

DG1UN Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2015 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio after 1 year, would buy again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very nice radio after 1 year. Would it buy again for this money. Well, you get many knobs for your money and it is a pleasure to use this TRX.
Tuner operates well with my vertical antenna.
USB-Interface operates well with Fldigi, but mostly i work in CW because i like to talk with my fingers not to use a computer.
The 3kHz filter is installed, but i think it is not necessary for CW, OK, it is not so expensive. The twin passband tunig works verry well.
Give 5.0 because this TRX is the best you can buy if you do not wont to spend all your money for transceivers. You dont need more functions or a waterfall display and so on.

VK5SA Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2015 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Great bit of kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for a couple of years, and bought it after using a colleague's 7600 for a couple of weeks, and balancing the features that I would lose against the money I would save.
It's as good for my purposes as the 7600, but the 7600's band scope was nice.
However, the 7410's USB port gives you the chance to have a better band scope than the 7600.
A $10 DVB-T dongle, a bit of coax, HRD and HDSDR gives you a 2MHz wide panadapter display.
See a signal come up on your PC screen, click on it with your mouse and you're there!
No buffer, no amplifier, nothing else needed.
Just do a Web search on it, and you will see heaps of videos describing the process.

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2015 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio after almost 4 years would buy again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hard to believe that I have been running this radio now for nearly four years. Being able to hands on operate my final list at a local HRO helped greatly in making my decision to purchase it at 2011 hamfest prices, which today would be somewhat high, but I have had many hours of QSO's that would not have been possible with the old 718's lack of true IF DSP, in addition to the lower noise floor. The large display, lack of deep menus except for serious fine tune adjustments, and hefty case heat sink made this radio my ideal upgrade. I still look at adding a solid state amp and Icom offered a new board fix for the overshoot issue. When it came back from Icom, the ALC was irregular and surging and causing vocal distortion. Resets did not help. Icom was willing to take the radio in again, but I decided to just pick it apart by the book, and found many of the original defaults had changed and within a couple of days of limited operating time, and had the ALC running smooth; all is good and has stayed that way since.