Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

VA6KOA Rating: 1/5 Sep 30, 2012 18:13 Send this review to a friend
VFO?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My recent purchase has gone sideways already. At first I was very impressed with the quality and finish, receive is good, antenna tuner is great, fan is quiet, signal reports outstanding, was never thrilled about the feel of the VFO but thought could get use to that... but here only 4 weeks in use, and the VFO is already starting to fail. Apparently this is a common problem with Icom radios (wish I had known that before). I turn the dial and the frequency display just jitters and stalls, unfortunately my dealer is 1/2 way across the country and I am looking at substantial shipping charges and time to have this repaired. this is my first Icom radio and I feel will be my last! My Yaesu FT101 E and my Yaesu FT 857D kick this Icom radios but!

G4OER Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2012 11:26 Send this review to a friend
some disappointment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
According to ACOM, who made my amp, the overshoot can cause some damage so I tried an outboard negative supply applied to the ALC socket on the 7410 to see if I could tame it. No success.

G0APM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2012 08:33 Send this review to a friend
A competent radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It's a very good radio although it doesn't 'magically' hear stuff that I can't already receive on my FT-897 or even IC-718, it's simply far more refined, by a long way.

DSP, filtering, adjustments and performance is excellent making it a joy. The internal USB serial port and sound card makes things really simple for digital modes that otherwise require boxes, wires, stuff and paraphernalia. SSB TX audio is excellent once you have it set, as is the RX audio.

The internal ATU works extremely well without 'click-clacking' relays and works seamlessly and seems to have a very good tuning range.

No complaints about fan noise here and get the impression it's (almost) good for 100% duty cycle without a murmur and just gets warm.

Can't comment on usage with an amplifier as I don't use one.

Seems to have true 'Top-of-the-Range' performance without having to take out a mortgage!

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Good ergonomics  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well now that I've owned it for a while and also added the optional roofing filters I can say that it's a pretty good rig. I even got over the overshoot problem by careful adjustment of the mike gain. The display is very sharp and clear. Audio sounds nice if you pay attention to the RF gain setting and not leave it at maximum. I think the tx/rx is about the same as the IC7600.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2012 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Fits the bill for rag chewers!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the 756pro series, 775, 761, 7000, Kenwood TS-850 and I must say this new technology is impressive in the 7410. It really has a quiet receiver and has audio as good as there is. I would say that anyone who could live without a scope would be amazed at what a value this radio is. Put on a nice desk mic, I use the Heil ICM, and start getting compliments. It is missing a clock, but that is not a big deal. For the rag chewer and dxer this radio is as fine as it gets. I give it a thumbs up.

WA4NUN Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2012 03:00 Send this review to a friend
QSK and QRO Issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fast break CW limited to about 10WPM. Amps are limited to those which will tolerate ALC overshoot spikes. Research from many smarter than myself point to these items as being a hardware fix and not a firmware fix. I knew about the spikes prior to purchase, but I do not do amps, so it was not an issue with me, same with fast break CW. Outside of these two major design flaws, it is a great radio. The filtering is great, the NB is great, the NR is great, the DSP and Twin passband tuning is great. It puts out great audio, and the receive audio is very pleasant and easy on the ears. If Icom would address a couple of design flaws, there is no doubt they could easily control both the budget and mid price market in ham radio gear.

LA5XQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2012 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Very good tranceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my IC-7410 radio for 2 months now. Compared to my old trx the IC-756: In SSB-mode 7410 is a leap ahead. The received signal is clearly better with nice sound and possibility to regulate treble and bass, this relates also to AM - the best AM I have ever heard. I have a ham neighbour working 2kw 500 meters away, he is blocking out my 756 over the entire 80-meter. On the 7410 I can hear my dear neighbour only at the frequency he is transmitting at! This is a great advancement. So selectivity is very much better but sensitivity is about the same. I have both the roofing filters installed.

On CW is it an other history: With use of the Audio Peak filter the 756 sounds better with more punch to the signal in the speaker, though the difference to the 7410 is not great it is still there.

Then the reason to rating 4: The fan is a silly simple 11 leaf fan of the cheapest type. It is not running while only receiving the first 2 hours the set is on (22 Celcius). After two hours it will start and give a very annoying sound and it continues to run even if the radio is cooled down. To stop the fan I have to turn the radio off and wait for a minute then turn it on and it will give peace for about 2 hours. This is a very bad solution to the cooling and ICOM should know better. When transmitting the fan will start running imideately and rise and lower the speed as needed, but not stopping when turning to receive again, than the fan runs at slow speed with its annoying sound until I turn the set off.
The solution to the problem is to find a fan that makes less noise wich is very easy, they are plenty at the computer-stores. But it takes a lot of skill to replace the fan as one needs to dismantle half the radio and desolder kee components in the PA. That is not recomended on a brand new set. So I looked in my surplus box and found a nice silent fan from a PC power supply, and mounted it above the original one. Cutted the wires and soldered on and the annoiing sound is gone. With this fan I have to put my ear below the radio to hear it run. And it is doing the job all the way when transmitting.

What about the guarantee? I dont know, but I would have returned the radio if I had not found a fix to the fan problem!

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2012 06:09 Send this review to a friend
A fantastic buy and very happy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was a great price to start with, Field Day special and then a discount to boot. But best of all, fired it up and straight away found the clarity of the sound to be best I've heard of any radio I've listened to. Only having a temp antenna up at a very low and strange angle, didn't think it would tune in very well, but the antenna tuner in this radio amazed me, better at tuning than my external AT-600 Pro. This radio is going to give me many happy days of use, couldn't be happier.

KT9C Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2012 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good capable radio but noisy fan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall this is a wonderful rig to operate. Ergonomics are good and menu is easy to use. The receiver is quiet...selectivity is good [with optional filters] and receiver noise reduction works well. I get great audio reports using SSB. I like this radio BUT my biggest gripe is the noisy cooling fan. It is quiet at first but after perhaps 10-15 minutes of SSB operating it cycles up to an annoying high speed. Can be heard even with headphones on.
I would rate this rig a 5 if it weren't for the annoying fan noise.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only have had it about a week now but WOW! It's a step up from my TS-2000 which I didn't think was a bad rig for what it was. Menu is easy to navigate. All important functions are at your fingertips (knob control). The DSP filter functions especially with the 3/KHz roofing filter installed are second to none. The receiver really brick-walls interfering signals. Sensitivity is excellent. I also DX the MW-BCB and LW bands and it's simply superb there. According to AB4OJ's review Icom does not incorporate attenuation in the lower MW bands. Audio quality is nice from the little speaker. Excellent from a nice set of high end PC speakers.

Audio reports from the transmitted audio are of course excellent. Also, contrary to popular belief this rig may be firmware update capable through the USB connection. Icom recently released a firmware update for the IC-9100 which is the same radio with added high band modules. I'm hoping it's the same for this set and see no reason why it shouldn't be as the 9100 was supposedly not firmware upgradeable either.

Excellent mid-range rig. Money well spent in my book even with some of it's quirks which no radio lacks in one way or another.