Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

LA5XQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2012 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Very good tranceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my IC-7410 radio for 2 months now. Compared to my old trx the IC-756: In SSB-mode 7410 is a leap ahead. The received signal is clearly better with nice sound and possibility to regulate treble and bass, this relates also to AM - the best AM I have ever heard. I have a ham neighbour working 2kw 500 meters away, he is blocking out my 756 over the entire 80-meter. On the 7410 I can hear my dear neighbour only at the frequency he is transmitting at! This is a great advancement. So selectivity is very much better but sensitivity is about the same. I have both the roofing filters installed.

On CW is it an other history: With use of the Audio Peak filter the 756 sounds better with more punch to the signal in the speaker, though the difference to the 7410 is not great it is still there.

Then the reason to rating 4: The fan is a silly simple 11 leaf fan of the cheapest type. It is not running while only receiving the first 2 hours the set is on (22 Celcius). After two hours it will start and give a very annoying sound and it continues to run even if the radio is cooled down. To stop the fan I have to turn the radio off and wait for a minute then turn it on and it will give peace for about 2 hours. This is a very bad solution to the cooling and ICOM should know better. When transmitting the fan will start running imideately and rise and lower the speed as needed, but not stopping when turning to receive again, than the fan runs at slow speed with its annoying sound until I turn the set off.
The solution to the problem is to find a fan that makes less noise wich is very easy, they are plenty at the computer-stores. But it takes a lot of skill to replace the fan as one needs to dismantle half the radio and desolder kee components in the PA. That is not recomended on a brand new set. So I looked in my surplus box and found a nice silent fan from a PC power supply, and mounted it above the original one. Cutted the wires and soldered on and the annoiing sound is gone. With this fan I have to put my ear below the radio to hear it run. And it is doing the job all the way when transmitting.

What about the guarantee? I dont know, but I would have returned the radio if I had not found a fix to the fan problem!

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2012 06:09 Send this review to a friend
A fantastic buy and very happy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was a great price to start with, Field Day special and then a discount to boot. But best of all, fired it up and straight away found the clarity of the sound to be best I've heard of any radio I've listened to. Only having a temp antenna up at a very low and strange angle, didn't think it would tune in very well, but the antenna tuner in this radio amazed me, better at tuning than my external AT-600 Pro. This radio is going to give me many happy days of use, couldn't be happier.

KT9C Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2012 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good capable radio but noisy fan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall this is a wonderful rig to operate. Ergonomics are good and menu is easy to use. The receiver is quiet...selectivity is good [with optional filters] and receiver noise reduction works well. I get great audio reports using SSB. I like this radio BUT my biggest gripe is the noisy cooling fan. It is quiet at first but after perhaps 10-15 minutes of SSB operating it cycles up to an annoying high speed. Can be heard even with headphones on.
I would rate this rig a 5 if it weren't for the annoying fan noise.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only have had it about a week now but WOW! It's a step up from my TS-2000 which I didn't think was a bad rig for what it was. Menu is easy to navigate. All important functions are at your fingertips (knob control). The DSP filter functions especially with the 3/KHz roofing filter installed are second to none. The receiver really brick-walls interfering signals. Sensitivity is excellent. I also DX the MW-BCB and LW bands and it's simply superb there. According to AB4OJ's review Icom does not incorporate attenuation in the lower MW bands. Audio quality is nice from the little speaker. Excellent from a nice set of high end PC speakers.

Audio reports from the transmitted audio are of course excellent. Also, contrary to popular belief this rig may be firmware update capable through the USB connection. Icom recently released a firmware update for the IC-9100 which is the same radio with added high band modules. I'm hoping it's the same for this set and see no reason why it shouldn't be as the 9100 was supposedly not firmware upgradeable either.

Excellent mid-range rig. Money well spent in my book even with some of it's quirks which no radio lacks in one way or another.

WB7ASC Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2012 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Total satisfaction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the IC-7410 for two days - still learning all its features, but some initial comments: It is replacing my IC-718 which will be moved to our 5th wheel camper (note: I am NOT geting rid of the 718)!

The operation is silent - no loud clacking noises from relays on band changes. And, I hear no fan noise. The radio has instant start-up. The display is great, with a large frequency readout, very clear.

This radio has a monitor (sidetone) function. Put on headphones, monitor your voice as you transmit. Make audio adjustments (using a dummy load, of course) to suit your preference. This is an unadvertised but very worthwhile function. The radio has great receive audio right out of the box, but it also can be tailored to your preference.

There is a dedicated pushbutton for each of the ham bands, a nice touch. The built-in antenna coupler is fast and quiet. It matches the antenna typically within one to two seconds. Again, no relays clacking. All the controls to which you may want immediate access are right there on the front panel. I feel that the FL-431 3kHz filter is a worthwhile option.

The IC-7410 has exceeded my expectations. It is worth a solid five rating!

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2012 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used IC-756ProII, III, 7200. The 7410 excels. The menu layout is just a simple task and it has a very small number of them.

In comparison with the other Icoms I've used in the past, 7410 does not get too warm on the back. The fan kicks in periodically keeping the rig cool.

I recently purchased the FL-431 (1st IF Filter 3Khz) from Hiro (JA0BFZ) off EBay at a bargain price ($42.99 + $14 express shipping). I got it at my QTH in a few days. Now the filter shines in CW!

The only caveat found, and that is also present in other Icoms, is the fact of "over shutting" while in SSB. This is controlled via the Mic for minimum ALC. If not done properly, the amp (solid state) will trip.

Also there isn't any firmware capability on this unit.

Despite the above, I give the 7410 a 5/5.

I am very happy about this rig which I bought used and still has warranty through July 2012.
I am now selling FT-950 which is also a nice rig despite the intensive menu driving system. Setting and resetting this menus is a task and a half.

73s

Rafael / NN3RP
Nation's Capital USA

M0IOD Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2012 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned most of the older flagship radios
FT 1000D IC 765 IC 775DSP as well as FT 1000MP,MKV and MKV field and IC 756PRO PRO2 and PRO3.
This radio can hold it's own with the big ones and has a nice quiet noise floor. NR and NB work a treat and the filtering is second to none. It remains cool even after extended use and to me it is simply Brilliant.
I receive numerous unsolicited comments regarding my audio with just the stock microphone.
A dream to operate, I really cannot fault it but think it would have been nice to have retained the 2M band like the IC 7400 which I also have in my shack. Thank you Icom.

EA8AY Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2012 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Very good RX.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Im very happy with my new Icom 7410. Im 100% cw operator and dsp is awesome. Also filters for cw and I add optional 6khz and 3khz roof.filters. I like very much, sound much better than my last rig FT950.

PE1RTC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Good transceiver with nice audio TX/RX and superb dsp.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Before i've used a Kenwood TS-870, Icom 756 pro and Icom 7000. Compared with these transceivers i have to say that the 7410 feels like an new generation transceiver. Of course the dsp on the 7000 is great, but when for example there's a big 9++ signal for several mseconds it takes to much time before the receiver is back and you will lose a little part of the qso. On the 7410, 756pro, 870 i don't have that problem.
The audio quality is really good in combination with my SP-23 speaker. I'm using an Icom SM-20 micro and get very good reports on my tx audio.
Where the 7000 is running hot, even on RX, the 7410 stay's cool. You have to lay an ear on the radio if you want to hear the fan. After some qso's you will here it a little more, but still not too much.
The knobs on the 7410 are very smooth and do not feal "cheap". The noise reduction and noise blanker are excellent, compared to the other transceivers. All in all I think the 7410 is one of the best transceivers at this moment in the price range if you aren't a fast CW man (poor QSK). For SSB and AM its excellent.
About the ALC problem: it's not a problem with every amplifier, but shure it is bad when you need 20 watts for a kilowatt or something like that. In that case i would built an attenuator in the amp. With my 2x813 amp with 40 watts drive i have no problems.

WB5JJJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my IC-7410 for about two weeks now and have had nothing but "outstanding" and "awesome" reports on my TX audio. I have not touched any of the default transmit menu settings as anything I might change would probably degrade the audio. I'm using my 30+ year old ICOM SM-6 microphone that has had so many hours of use with my IC-745.

Now that 10m is open, I'm having a ball. I've always had good results in pile-ups, but now with the 7410, I seem to get through on the first call once the other station is about 5-7. I seldom use the pre-amp.

I think my results are two-fold. 1) the quality/clearity of the 7410 audio and 2) my easy-to-remember call (WB5JJJ). The "JJJ" or "triple J" seems to make it through pile-ups.

Overall, this radio has far exceeded my expectations. BTW, I have installed both filters and find them OK, but had about the same results without them in rejecting side splatter. Although the 3Khz does seem to be a bit better than the 6Khz.

Also, I'm running the IC-7410 and my IC-718 on a 30A switching power supply, but not transmitting at the same time of course. purchased from a USA seller on eBay at a price point between $32 and $45, including USPS Priority shipping. No problems with "birdies" that I've found. They are small, about the side of a brick.