Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7410
ICOM IC-7410 Reviews: 102 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: Icom's newest mid price range HF/6 meter all mode base radio.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2015 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio after almost 4 years would buy again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hard to believe that I have been running this radio now for nearly four years. Being able to hands on operate my final list at a local HRO helped greatly in making my decision to purchase it at 2011 hamfest prices, which today would be somewhat high, but I have had many hours of QSO's that would not have been possible with the old 718's lack of true IF DSP, in addition to the lower noise floor. The large display, lack of deep menus except for serious fine tune adjustments, and hefty case heat sink made this radio my ideal upgrade. I still look at adding a solid state amp and Icom offered a new board fix for the overshoot issue. When it came back from Icom, the ALC was irregular and surging and causing vocal distortion. Resets did not help. Icom was willing to take the radio in again, but I decided to just pick it apart by the book, and found many of the original defaults had changed and within a couple of days of limited operating time, and had the ALC running smooth; all is good and has stayed that way since.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2015 07:10 Send this review to a friend
A year later - FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased mine last April from HRO and used primarily for digital modes, SWL, and BCB DX. In digital modes the PBT is my favorite feature especially when an adjacent station is transmitting close by. Quick and easy to squash out the screaming signal with the twist of a knob. Fldigi works like a charm with just the one ordinary run-of-the-mill non-proprietary A-to-B USB cable between radio and PC. No signalink interface needed like I use with my IC-7000. With the 7410's good ears, found out I needed to install 8 snap-on ferrite cores on my washing machine's AC cord...due to the 7410 RX sensitivity. That is a compliment to the 7410. I like the build quality of this radio. Had no difficulty installing the 3K roofing filter other than the chassis cover screws being driven in so darn tight. I also own/use/enjoy the IC-7000 and IC-7100 and recommend the 7410 for shack use due to it's size and weight. 73's to all.

ZL1JOS Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2015 03:58 Send this review to a friend
It has an internal fuse too  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wrote a previous review where I the USB cable interface did not work over around a meter, and that I was building an alternate interface using RS232 and a USB sound card.

Anyway, as part of isolation and VOX I needed a 5v supply on the radio side of the optocouplers and audio transformers. I used an 7805 regulator driven from the radios ACC port. Everything was fine, until I turned the radio on and nothing happened.

It turns out my 7805 had gone faulty, and was drawing WAYYYY too much current, and it had blown a 5A fuse inside the radio ( circuit fuse ). For a moment there I thought it was a warranty job, but replacing 5A fuse ( which is a normal automtovie 'mini' blade one ) brought the radio back to life too. In the process, I discovered the radio has a very large heatsink.

I have to wonder if all radios have such protection?

Anyway I am well pleased it does :)

VK3LBT Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2015 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this radio new from a local dealer in Melbourne at a very good price, I already own and Elecraft K3 and have previously owned the IC746 Pro which I didnt think a great deal of.
This radio is impressive as the RX band width filtering, Noise Reduction and IF shift when configured just right work very well together and will generally clean up the floor noise and give a good clean RXd signal.
The wide/medium/narrow transmitted audio filtering is exceptionally good and as I use a Heil GM5 Goldline Microphone I set the filtering on "wide" with 100 - 2500 Hz setting and a slight amount of compression which gives just enough bottom end with a broadcast mellow tone to the audio.
I have used this radio on 40m AM with great reports it is a good performer and certainly at this time I will be holding on to it.

Just wish that it had real time scope coverage as the setup in this is similar to the 746 Pro but nevertheless still a good mid range radio.

All the Best
Barry VK3LBT

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 19:29 Send this review to a friend
almost perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
update to my dec 2012 review...this radio does not disappoint in the tx or rx dept.. it site next to my pro3.. ive had many radios come through my shack.very few stay.. this ones a keeper.. easy menu,ergonomics are great.. size,fit and finish are perfect.. the only,i mean only thing I would like to see on this class radio is......dual receive.. asking for much?? I don't know... for the price ,this radio is a beauty....I mimic all the positive reviews

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 15:31 Send this review to a friend
BEYOND SURPERB  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had many different brands of ham gear, but when it comes to sinking down hard earned bucks on HF gear, I would be hesitant to not purchase ICOM. The 7410 is my second major rig for a different room of the house. My IC 756 Pro III is still churning out HF frequencies and I will keep it till the cows roost, the HOA finds my secret antennas, or the messiah recalls all rigs. For 1,500 bucks it is actually a bargain for what it is and how it compares with other systems on the market. While the menu is EASY to work with, I have found that most of the "default" items are nearly perfect. The first impression you get is the great sound and sensitivity. I don't know how Icom could have improved on their DSP and other systems. They all work great. My Pro III is getting lonely, but they make a great pair and having them under one roof is a blessing. I hope you enjoy your IC 7410. Tell John Thompson at HRO Colorado (1-800-444-9476) that Terry, N0YXE, sent you in.

ZL1JOS Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2015 03:21 Send this review to a friend
USB Cable needs to be short  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned one from new for about a week or two.

The only problem I have had is with the USB cable control. I bought a 5m long USB A to B cable so I could have my laptop situated away from the radio if need be. At first I thought it must be some kind of proprietary USB cable required, as every time I plugged the cable in, I came up with 'Usb device has failed' kind of errors.

After a bit of googling, And reading the driver install manual, I found out that the USB cable needed to be as short as possible. Well.. ok. So I cut the 5m cable, and made it about 50cm, which fixed the problem.

However, that was a test case, and I wanted to have around a meter long so I could position the laptop and the radio where I wanted it. Nope, too long. At first it appeared to work ok at one meter. However, after failing to decode JT-65 signals, and after looking at the waterfall and noticing that all the JT-65 signals looked as if they were over modulated, I decided to listen to the input ( Select Listen to this device on the Recording Devices in windows ). What I heard was a very patchy pulsed audio.

So, my current setup is using an interface I made for my IC-745 ( which the IC-7410 replaced ), I take the audio from the ACC port, and input into the microphone socket.

However I want to try out a USB hub coupled with a very short USB A-B cable going to the radio. I am wondering if the line levels in the USB line are too low or something, and that a USB hub would sort that out. If not, I will make up a new computer interface, working entirely off of the rear ACC plug, and also a USB-RS232 based CI-V adaptor.

I also noted that the USB cable introduced some noise at the lower bands.

As for the rest of the radio, it is awesome. This is my first new HF rig, and I need to do a proper A/B comparison with my IC-745. However, one thing is clear, the filtering and such on this radio is awesome. I am just learning CW, and decided to listen to some. It sounds good with the default filters, but narrowing a signal down to 250hz or less is impressive. And then just to top it off, applying the noise reduction makes it even better ( even if there is no real noise anyway ). And then, put on some headphones, and it sounds super good, very nice to listen to.

One thing I noticed though is the noise blanker does not seem to work well for the USB induced noise I described earlier, however the notch filter ( manual ) did with ease.

The internal ATU seems to be pretty quick, and quiet. I have a 40m dipole, and despite it being a 3:1 ATU, it somehow tunes up on 80m, 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, and 6m.

The RF Gain / Squelch knob was a bit werid at first, it seems RF gain is at 100% when in the 12 oclock position, and after that it applies squelch ( behaviour adjustable in menus ). This can make a difference when changing between SSB / CW and FM / AM.

I have not really used it much, but the band scope gizmo seems to work ok, and is quite quick.

I still have not explored every part of this radio, but so far I am pleased. The only thing I am not happy with is the USB cable situation. I am not sure if that's a USB specific thing, if its an ICOM thing, or what the story there is.

I will surely do more testing and playing around, and if I find out anything new I shall post an update.

4/5 because of USB cable issue only.

W5BGP Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2015 12:34 Send this review to a friend
It has just about everything  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig replaced my old Icom 735. I fgured it was time to enjoy some of the new bells and whistles. I have been pleasantly surprised at the capability of this rig both from a receiving and transmitting point of view. I hear stations that I never heard before and I love the fact that I can turn the power down to 2 watts and work QRP with great success. The keyer is fool proof. I also like being able to plug in a straight key in the back for SKCC and have both available at the same time. The fact that each band has three memory frequencies is ideal. I use one for CW, one for PSK and one for the SSB portion of each band. No spinning the dial required. Keep the manual handy as you will find new things about the rig that you have not discovered.

K5UOS Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2014 04:09 Send this review to a friend
First purchase of commercial transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IC-7410 is my first commercial transceiver in almost 30 years as an amateur operator. Purchased about 4 weeks ago. The manual was pretty easy to understand and I set the rig up pretty much to my liking within a few days. I have never had AGC, noise blanker, variable bandwidth tuning or optional filters. These features in the 7410 are very easy to use and are essential on 80M. I bought the rig for reliability checking in to our local QCWA 63 net. The noise reduction (NR) feature is particularly useful for removing noise. It is often the difference between copy and no copy.

I honestly donít have any experience with other transceivers except a TS-830S hybrid I repaired for a friend and eventually kept in a trade. I have used it occasionally.

With that said I am pleased with my first new purchase experience. I wish I could have tried the TS-590SG. I have gotten spoiled by the filters in the 7410 even though I donít have the FL-430/431 installed. The TS-590SG does have them installed. The internal tuner is nice to have with my 80M antenna.

The only issue I have is the difficulty I have in reading the buttons and knobs. I can see the issues in backlighting them but that would have been a reasonable improvement.

The IC-7410 is a fine transceiver for a first transceiver. The manual is well written and I didnít have any problems setting the rig up.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With a QST review that said "competent" how could I go wrong?

Still I had a very good experience with my trusty 706-2g and my antenna tuner is integrated into my setup here and icom specific - so for the price range this was the way to go.

I'm glad I did. The receiver sounds very good. The noise blanker mutes the occasional powerline-hash-like noise that comes up here from time to time with ease. The noise reduction has helped me discern call signs buried well below the noise level. Most of the time it sounds just fine without using these at all though.

The transmitter was another reason behind my choice. I've had very good luck with icoms so far and like the sound of them on the air. There are some very expensive radios out there with supposedly great receivers but I'm not a fan of how they sound on transmit. I adjusted my audio as laid out in the manual and regularly get unsolicited audio reports.

The menu isn't difficult. I customized the noise blanker and filters a little but rarely go back in to change anything. There's a knob or button for everything you need often.

Along with the band sweep feature - which works a lot better than I thought it would - there's an SWR sweep feature. now THAT is cool. You can get an SWR graph of your antenna for a given band just like an analyzer. It works good.

One of the club members asked me if there was anything I would change about it if I could when I first got it. I can't think of anything. It's a great radio.

Any questions feel free to email me. Address is current on QRZ.