Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sangean ATS 909X Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Sangean ATS 909X Receiver
Sangean ATS 909X Receiver Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $449.00
Description: AM/FM/SW receiver

You can write your own review of the Sangean ATS 909X Receiver.

KB3DIV Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2013 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the new in the box price of $200.00 I feel I got a deal. If you don't read directions you won't be able to run any piece of equipment to its full ability. Most of the negative posts on this review are user error inflicted, I assure you! I hear everything very well with the supplied antenna(s) as well as outstanding results with the external connected wire outside. I installed 4 rechargable batteries and find the operation and functions to be better than expected.

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2012 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a brand new Sangean ATS-909X new batch direct from taiwan for $155 australi with shipping didnt get an adapter end english manual no big deal,The cost in australia is between $380-$550 for waht i paid for performance on hf aero is excellent with its own telescopic antenna was able to copy stations from auckland,
brisbane,manila,nandi,new york ,singapore hooked up to a outdoor Wellbrook-ALA1530AL-1 active loop can hear stations like my other receivers all i can say its a keeper..

WA3YAY Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2012 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Fixed the tuning knob  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the radio less than an hour and it was up on the bench in full warranty-voiding mode. Took it apart, unsoldered the tuning control, removed the detent spring, reassembled and now it's a pleasure to use. Whoever at Sangean thought that design was a good idea needs a refresher in mechanical design.

If you want some insight to how to do this, go to the bottom of http://qrz.com/db/WA3YAY where I sort of document the whole affair. Just a mechanical mod that you can do with some patience, soldering skills and a good magnifying glass.

As for the radio itself, it's nice. The quality is good and the performance ranks a 5 for shortwave broadcast listening and a 4 for Amateur use. The filters are just a little wide for CW. FM audio is superb. Overall a decent radio.

But the price is too high. I knew ahead of time that if I wanted to, I could have bought a Tecsun PL-660 and would have been happy. Or maybe a Kaito 1103, but I was in the mood for a replacement for my old ATS-909 and had a bug up my butt for the X model. Was it worth another $75 or so. Probably not, but the deed is done.

The only thing I wish I could have improved is the feel of the tuning control. It's a fine thought to place the knob on the front, but the mechanical design was half-baked. I tried everything I could think of to make the thing smoother, including Teflon shims, but to no avail.

Still a decent radio.

9V1JP Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2012 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I learned about the newest worldband receiver from Sangean about 2-3 months ago. I did not buy it until my trip to Taiwan. Finally bought it from BEST electronic store in Taipei. I happen to have my Eton E1-XM with me. Did a quick A-B comparison with the built in telescopic whip antenna. Sangean seems to perform better in the MW band. On the SW band, the Eton E1-XM seem to be better in terms of readability and sensitivity. I have not had opportunity to compare SSB reception at the moment. The Synchronous Detection on the E1 helps in eliminating fading and increases readability/intelligability of the signals.

For the price and the size of the Sangean, I think it is much more portable for travelling. But for tabletop applications, I prefer the E1.

VK2GJF Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2012 19:19 Send this review to a friend
A nice portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used version of this radio date stamped 01/11 with an early version of the firmware. I like the look of the radio very much and the backlit display is superb. I found the audio good for such a small speaker and the functionality good. I compared it side by side with the original 909 as well as the Sangean PR-D5 and Tecsun S2000. Lets face it, this is a portable radio for casual listening and NOT a communications receiver by any stretch of the imagination. So with that in mind, it does a very good job. Audio was better than the original 909, much crisper, sensitivity on AM was on par but FM was much better. Side by side on MW, the PR-D5 outclassed all the radios tested but on SW (PR-D5 excluded), the radios performed closely with the Tecsun (Grundig Satellit 750), performing slightly better. Yes, it would have been great with a Synch detector, Tecsun have shown that this can be included in cheaper portables with good results, so for the new price of the Sangean, I feel it was an oversight. I found the buttons needed sometimes pushing more than once and what I find the biggest let down is the thumbwheel tuning, quite frankly, its a pain to use! What a shame that Sangean did away with the tuning control placed on the side like the original version for the sake of what maybe aesthetics. Overall, it is an improvement on the original 909, albeit just but as stated, I like the look of the radio overall and it will be a keeper. One to add to your collection if you want a nice portable radio to play with. I would have rated it higher except for the thumbwheel tuning.

PA0RCL Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2012 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Primarily a BC receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lets face it, this is radio intended for broadcast listeners and not primarily for hams. For the latter group, it just lacks some selectivity on SSB, let alone on CW. Tuning across the amateur bands is not very comfortable with the dented steps of the tuning knob and fine tuning on an SSB station is not that easy. I find the AGCs response too fast with strong amateur stations (the "pumping" soon becomes irritating) although this can be overcome somewhat by reducing the RF gain. A minor isssue is that the S-meter merely indicates a number of bars, not S-units and that the frequency display has no decimal digit. These issues, except the ones relating to the display, apparently have been solved in the Radio Labs version of the ATS-909X. I would have given that one a five (had I bought it) and consequently I give the original ATS-909X a four.
For the broadcast listener, this portable radio is an excellent choice. It has good sensitivity and sound quality and plenty of memories to store favourite stations. It has good looks, too.
All in all, this is a radio that cannot be beaten for the invested money.

KD5HLB Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2012 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the money it is by far the best communications receiver on the market today. The step button for fine tuning SSB signals is better than what you will find on other receivers in that price bracket. I use mine for emergency management with my amateur radio station. I highly recommend it for city or county EOC, or for your personal use.

KB3IUL Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2011 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Down and dirty review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes it is a pretty radio and if you are not a DX'er this radio qualifies for: occasional users...MW Band seems to be attenuated (may be a suitable reason for that. Shortwave Bands seem Ok....agree radio should have a Synchronus Detector as a matter of fact I thought it did and the reason is that would be insane not to have that....you must say to yourself trick or stupidity...(me) not a smart thing. Good quality on the FM and the RDS works well...she is purty. Then you say what the F do you expect of a portable radio....many limitations should have not very high expectations...it is not like a Sony 2010 but in rating it as a casual listener. aesthetics. Great Ergonomics: works for me This radio meets my expectations of...it is what it is.

CAPTCHUCK Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Radio Labs Modifications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ordered my ATS 909x and wanted to update you all that Radiolabs.com does do a ClearMod Filter upgrade, as well as the detent removal for this device. I will report more as soon as I have more time with the unit.

AD5VM Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2011 10:04 Send this review to a friend
I'll keep it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pros
-Great audio (not as good as say a Boston Receptor but way better than an Eton E3)
-Great looks (iPod-ish)
-Great size (larger than an E3 but way smaller than an E1 size)
-Nice backlight
-Very long (Stainless steel) whip antenna
-Great sensitivity and selectivity
-Great built in antenna for AM BCB
-Battery charger
-Comes well packaged with lots of extra goodies.
-RDS works well

Cons
-No button backlight
-I don't like the poor attempt at a "magic wheel" for tuning, see Theo's review. I agree with him 100000% on this issue. I prefer the smooth detent-less encoder knob on the side like the E3 and DE1106.
-No sync detector.. For this price it should have come with one. I've got a $120 Degen DE1106 with a sync detector and it's amazing what a difference it can make on some fading stations.
-The wide/narrow switch doesn't seem to do much, it's less effective than the one on my E3 or my DE1106.
-A bit overpriced.

If the tuning knob was better and it had backlit buttons and a sync detector I'd give it 26 out of five stars. I'm keeping it because I like the looks, the sound and the size. But can only give it four stars...