Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | GHD GT502MIL Straight Key Help

Reviews Summary for GHD GT502MIL Straight Key
GHD GT502MIL Straight Key Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$459.95
Description: Model GT502MIL is the "American Style" version of the 502, with bent lever. The base measures 5x3-1/4"
and it weighs 2 Lb 15 Oz. (1330g)
More info: http://www.morsex.com/ghd/index.htm#keys

You can write your own review of the GHD GT502MIL Straight Key.

W5UTW Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2016 02:49 Send this review to a friend
Deal of the Century  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Went to my very first Hamfest in Belton, TX. I didn't know what this was other than it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Vendor had it over priced (joke!), but I had to have it. I tried to talk him down but was unable to.

He said it was from an estate sale. Never used (it was in its original box with packaging, parts, and two different knobs, one red, one black).

I got home, looked it up here on eham, and almost fell out of my chair.

I got it for $75.00 (that's seventy five USD).

At the same Hamfest, I got a good deal on a little dual band Alnico and am prouder of this key than I am the radio.

I am a new Ham, but was a (Vietnam era) Radioman in the Navy. I am just getting my "Shack" set up and canNOT wait to use this key.

GT502MIL/SN: GC5138T

KG0MN Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2016 10:53 Send this review to a friend
What a wonderful key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been licensed since 1976 and have used numerous keys and it seems that I have always gone back to my favorite the Signal Electric "Triumph" straight key. While in Dayton in 2015 I tried a GHD 502MIL style key and I immediately knew why they were referred to as the Cadillac of keys. The weight is nearly 3 lbs so their is minimal amount of movement. The main lever has the dog leg like most American keys so I immediately felt at home. The bearings used at the two side contact points is nothing like what we see in the stated. The adjustment points allow you to set the spacing to a precision point. This is the most money I have spent on a key but in my mind it is designed to last a life time.

NS0W Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 10:55 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate in engineering and beauty  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have to start with a disclaimer: I am fairly new to CW and I can sometimes elevate appearance above functionality in my decision. I also like the spacing on my keys to be real tight and precise.

I have been looking at the GHD keys on the Morse Express website, but there were always something more important to spend my ham radio budget on. I am also reluctant to give my business to Marshall since he does not support the local community. I have yet to see him at any of the N. Colo hamfests.

One day I stumbled across a GHD GT502MIL on Ebay and got it for a VERY good price. With my bias towards tight spacing, I was actually initially somewhat disappointed. The GHD was not any better than my Junker in terms of setting tight spacing or anything else for that matter. Having said that, it seems that a new Junker (if you can get it) will sell for about the same price as a GHD. On the other hand we all know there is probably no uglier key than a Junker with the cover closed - which is why I removed the cover on mine entirely.

So, after the novelty wore off, I went to Hobby-Lobby and I bought a model display case (SKU #902437 - a perfect fit), polished the GHD, put it in the case and went back to using the Junker.

The bottom line is if you simply want the best in terms of functionality and looks, and you have the money to support that, you cannot go wrong with the GHD. If you are on a budget like me, a good used Junker of Ebay will give you the same functionality for about a quarter of the price. Be careful though, I have seen really bad ones at ridiculous prices - so bide your time and wait for a good deal.

My 2c worth

73 de NS0W

KU5Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Pricey, but......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, yes...it's frivolous and stupid to spend this much on an on/off switch. Just had to have one, and got one from N1FN-Marshall & CO;

Milestone Technologies, Inc.
Morse Express | OHR | AMECO
10691 E. Bethany Dr., Suite 800
Aurora, CO 80014 USA;

@ http://www.mtechnologies.com/index.html. Lately, got addicted to straight key and have used this one everyday for the past couple of months. After getting it set for my wrist, can use it for hours with little fatigue. The Mitutoyo thimble/sleeve for setting the throw is a nice touch. Again, overkill design for many for sure. Do wish it was offered in AISI-304 stainless steel with out the chrome.