Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | ON7FU Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for ON7FU Baluns
ON7FU Baluns Reviews: 42 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $99 USD approx
Description: Current BALUNs, Line Isolators and related products.
More info: http://www.on7fuferriteapplications.com

You can write your own review of the ON7FU Baluns.

ON7VD Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2015 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Solved my RFI and noise problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is about the current mode 1:1 UN UN "hexbeam" version, is a 1:1 including a small pigtail.
I am using a screwdriver antenna in a fixed setup (Little Tarheel II with long whip) and on 20 and 17 meter I was experiencing RF feedback, and on 30m an elevated noise floor. After sharing some experience and obtaining very useful advice from Hugo ON7FU, I decided to test the balun. The final result is that my RFI problems are 100% solved, and I have an improved noise floor, especially on 30 meter about 2 to 3 dB lower noise. The balun works flawless from 80m to 10 meter. I could not test 6m yet because my antenna does not tune there.
The build quality is outstanding.
It is not a cheap balun, yet considering the build quality, performance and very useful advice I received well worth the money.

ON6DK Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2015 05:27 Send this review to a friend
update on my previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to place an update on my previous review, based on my new excellent experiences with ON7FUís products.Since I started in HAM radio, I was passionate by antenna building and transmission line measurements.In the 80ies I experimented and built my own ferrite sleeve based current baluns. It was in that period that I met ON7FU.Since then we had many lengthy talks about RF technology and transmission line behavior.I found in Hugo the ideal spokes partner, because of his professional RF background and in depth knowledge of antenna and transmission line behavior. Hugo always approaches any particular case from an EMC point of view, and has been able to solve many amateurís EMC issues. Baluns and line isolators of course contribute to the solutions offered. I experienced that ON7FU focusses on HAM radio, providing solutions rather than behaving purely commercially. Thatís why I recently decided to purchase some additional potted high power baluns to replace my existing sleeve based items. After thoroughly testing on my Vector Network Analyzer, as well as real life stressing, the baluns proved to be the best choice possible.If there is someone, understanding how to build a balun, what a balun is, what it does, and how it behaves in a real life antenna set-up, itís ON7FU. (BTW: read W8JIís articles regarding common-mode impedance behavior of transmission lines and you will find confirmation). Highly recommended.

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We use a 1:1 current-balun 3 kw from Hugo and it's an oustanding product.It's a heavy duty well constructed balun.If you've qeustions,Hugo answers always and has patience.When i need another balun,i will go to ON7FU again.Recommended !

ON5ZO Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2015 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Top quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've seen my share of baluns. Made some myself, bought some off the shelf. I've had a commercial so called 'rated kW' balun melt down, and some of my baluns have been in service for over ten years. In the end you just know what is right and what is junk. ON7FU's baluns seemed right.

I replaced the feed point of my 80/160 dual band ground plane and bought one of ON7FU's heavy duty 1:1 rated 3kW products. It looks good, manufacturing is pristine, it feels heavy (resin inside!) and most of all it has been doing a great job with hundreds of low band contest contacts so far. I usually put out a good kW for longer periods when running and never more than 1300W for the occasional hard nut to crack. It's been up for ten months now and so far I am very happy. I have no reason to think it won't last long.

Business with Hugo was fast and to the point. If I ever need another balun, I know where to go. Now you do too.

ON8MT Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2014 01:28 Send this review to a friend
good material and waterproof
kurt on8mt

NT4H Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Needing a 1:1 balun for a low band vertical, I found ON7FUís website. After an email exchange with Hugo, he built a custom 1:1 balun optimized for the low bands and with a mounting plate for my fiberglass vertical.

I chose ON7FU because ON6DX has used Hugoís balunís in the same configuration on multiple DXexpeditions. I'm building out my antenna's for mini-dxpeditions.

The balun has worked extremely well and the customer service was outstanding. Shipping was quick also.

I highly recommend ON7FU and will be purchasing other products from Hugo!

ON4WIY Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Yes it works :-)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi om's,
My 1 st review wasn't that good,high swr don't now why.....
This time I ordered the 1/1 line isolator rated 3 KW
Great it workes fine....distortion on my pc and audio on 7 Mhz is gone.
Tnx to OR0A Hans, who placed the order by Hugo....because my Yl was in hospital and I couldn't receive the package at home.
No regrets,good quality.
I'm sure I will buy other products in the future from Hugo tnx 73 cu Wim

ON3FU Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2013 09:26 Send this review to a friend
4:1 Windom balun  Time owned: more than 12 months
Deploying 4/1 ON7FU current balun on a Windom antenna.
Apart from the fact that a Windom antenna is intended for areas where different single band antennas are not an option, I decided to make the largest possible one, covering 160 to 10 meters.
I used a long side of about 50 meters and a short side of about 27m long.
My license and transceiver do not yet allow me to use the 160m band, but the other harmonic related bands proved to be fully covered, with good VSWR and on-air results.
The 4/1 current balun I purchased from ON7FU hereby contributes considerably and fully performs as expected.
I especially appreciate the fact that, as a novice licensee, I can rely on the technical background of ON7FU, without being subjected to commercial pressure.

ON3FU

ON4BIF Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2013 08:54 Send this review to a friend
excellent quality baluns  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 8 years ago,I bought an ON7FU current balun for the HF bands. As a professional, I tested its characteristics to come to a conclusion that the device fully meets the specifications. The balun, until today, appears mechanically and electrically stable, with no signs of wear and tear despite exposure to rough weather.
This is what we call value for money.

ON5HC Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2013 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Proud owner of 4/1 UNUN #0001  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought in 2012 a 43ft vertical, I was not convinced about the quality
of the unun which was delivered in the package.
As I know Hugo and the quality of his other baluns, I asked Hugo to built a 4/1 UNUN.
Antenna and balun were used on several portable operations (main use on IOTA contest 2012
as F/OO5C/P and dxpedition in 2013 to EU105 as TM3B).
The antenna remains a compromise but behaves well on all bands (10m - 80m, even WARC).
So for me it's a good solution.
Thanks Hugo for building.