Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-54
RigExpert AA-54 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: RigExpert AA-54 is powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines in the range of 0.1 to 54 MHz. USB connection to computer.

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Quality upgrade from MFJ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my Rigexpert AA-54 when my MFJ259B died. The AA-54 is significantly better at around the same price. I got mine on sale at HRO in the Bay Area location near San Jose. It has every feature I need and works well on all bands including 160m which I could never make work right on the MFJ. The battery life is also excellent. I have yet to use all the features but will soon be tryint additional tests with it. I couldn't recommend this product more.
N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2016 03:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna Analyzer with Great Computer Data Acquisition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the RigExpert AA-54 in August of 2013.

A presentation link showing its many computer based capabilities is below. Examples of SWR graphs, using the Matlab on the data exported from the computer DAQ system may be found at my QRZ page for both of my antennas one of which is a wide band 80m OCF.

A most powerful part of this product is the software that ships with it. Amazing software.

Summary of Computer DAQ sofware capability below.

Regarding the stand alone instrument:

The AA-54 has the on board ability to display up to five individual SWR values as a function of user defined frequency on screen.

Additionally, on screen, one can scan and display an SWR graph across a user defined frequency range anywhere within the supported range.

On board, complete look at impedance, including resolution of that impedance to SWR enables understanding if the antenna needs capacitance or inductance.

However, the AA-54 really shines with its USB computer interface and software, a demo of which is shown at the above link (and example plots at my qrz page).

The included software enables real time upload to computer, of impedance data (single point or wide frequency range scan), and, also, provides a comprehensive software plotting/graphical evaluation package enabling:

SWR as function of individual frequency or across a wide user selected frequency range (user selectable number of data points in that range) with clear graphing capability which includes showing where the ham bands are on the plot (see my QRZ page for example).

Impedance data as function of frequency can be exported to .csv file or .antdata file.

The .csv file enables further computation of SWR, and, use of third party graphical programs like Matlab.

The .antdata file saves the onboard graph for future load and comparison with a new scan. Two scans can be display simultaneously with the provided software for quick comparison.

Impedance as a function of individual frequency or across user selected range.

Complete Smith chart.

There are other features associated with testing coax cable for reflection, etc.

One can also send an impulse or a square wave forcing function to the antenna to get real time transient response of antenna/feedline system. Properly analyzed this can give the attenuation of the system.

Ability to do new scan while also retain of the previous graph to see how any changes to the antenna affected the last scan.

This instrument is absolutely invaluable.

However, in addition to a comprehensive software package, and, benchmark hardware package....there is benchmark customer whit...

I became confused about one of the settings after I bought the analyzer, and, emailed RigExpert email posted on their website.

Over night I received an email response which was written clearly. However, the response also indicated that I provide some specific diagnostic (on board) test results back so that they could make sure all was OK (diagnostics). I did, and, again, overnight, received an all good response.

Not only is this instrument benchmark for field or computer DAQ, but, the customer support is great as well.

Lastly, a Matlab object has been built and made public at the Mathworks public sharing site to acquired data real time into Matlab for analysis.

So, one can leverage the powerful capabilities of Matlab with this instrument, which, is a very large benefit.

No other instrument even comes close in this price range.
VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2016 15:16 Send this review to a friend
I just love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent little gizmo that all hams should have. I just love mine and I don't know why it took me so long to get one. I'm very happy with it.
K4WQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Brought one of these prior to rebuilding my old Hustler 5-BTV vertical. Using this analyzer, it was quite apparent that the default settings for the antenna were significantly off. Loved that it is small enough to hand carry right to the antenna site. Interfaces with PC as well. I periodically run SWR curves on all the bands I operate and print them out. Very handy to see any long-term changes. Money well spent if you want to maximize any antenna installation.
PA1ZP Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Fine instrument  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I have the analiser in use now and though I do not build as manyantennas as i used to do, i decided to spoil myself with this analiser.

it is not to expencive and has nice features like the portability and possiblility to use it in a computer with the seperate software.

As a real antenna builder i had some experiences with better and dearer analisers and network analisers, but found the bulcky things useless.
I think a Rigexpert 54 is OK for HF antenna work, you realy do not need more as this.

I think an analiser needs to be a handheld thing, as the things that need a computer are useless, you need to make measurements at the antenna and do you see me up on a roof or in a mast with an laptop and all kind of things, that does not work at all.

happy with this rather cheap but very usefull instrument,
WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value and Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a Land Mobile Radio Technician during my working life, I developed an appreciation for precision and high quality test equipment. Having been an owner of the 259, 259 B and C models, I finally sprung for the AA-54. I recently had an opportunity to put it thru its paces and to make measurements requiring many data points. I was impressed with the stability and repeatability of measurements and the ability to make fine distinctions between measurements. While not what could be thought of as a laboratory grade instrument, this analyzer easily provides good quality measurements that ought to satisfy the overwhelming majority of amateurs. I'm very pleased with mine.
K3XR Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2015 12:39 Send this review to a friend
IF YOU LIKE ANTENNAS YOU'LL LOVE IT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up recently used but like new condition. This is a great piece of equipment if you enjoy working with antennas. Used mine to "tweak" my 3el SteppIr beam what a pleasure to use and involves no signal from the transmitter a real plus. Tried a few features but there are more to discover and could see where you could run down the batteries playing with it.
KA4AQM Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2015 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Bulletproof  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it for Christmas 2014. I prefer to build my own dipoles and configure them as fan, inverted and stand alone. The AA-54 has a little learning curve and I had to remember the check mark key means "GO", but once I got into the rhythm of repeating the steps over and over again for consistency, it became a breeze. Since I like fan dipoles not only do you have to measure them for frequency but many times the proximity of them to each other will affect the others. This means that not only do you have to tune them for frequency, but you have to recheck previously installed antennas as you add them to the fan design. Quite labor intensive but the AA-54 handles this type of antenna building with ease. The first time I used it, I almost ran the supplied batteries dead. What a sweet piece of test equipment. Besides a multimeter, this is a valued piece of gear I now use. No more will I depend on the inline watt/power meter to give me the critical information I need. I don't think you can go wrong with the AA-54.
K2WO Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned both the RigExpert AA-30 and the AA-54. For the price range they are in, they are truly hard to beat. If you don't need 6 Meter capability, the AA-30 is a steal. The AA-54 covers through 54 Mhz and it runs circles around all of the other popular analyzers. Yes, it is large, but it fits in your hand and it is VERY light weight. It uses 2 AA batteries which is a real advantage. It's always easy to cary a few spare AA batteries. The features in this analyzer are extensive and it does everything it is supposed to do.....and more. I am VERY happy with this product and recommend it highly.
AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Significant upgrade  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think I could spend a lot of time bashing the performance of the MFJ-259B, but everything that has been said about it has been said.

Needless to say the AA 54 is a significant upgrade from the MFJ 259B. I am loving the antenna analyzer and it has been an indispensable part of my shack since I bought it. I was spurred to purchase it when I blew the diodes on my 259B. It was sitting next to my amplifier at the time. Not hooked up or anything. Lesson learned.

I highly recommend this product. It is awesome.