Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-54
RigExpert AA-54 Reviews: 63 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: RigExpert AA-54 is powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines in the range of 0.1 to 54 MHz. USB connection to computer.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

N4OC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Ease of use & excellent performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't normally write reviews but this analyzer is worth the money in every respect. Simple to use, very reliable and definitely field portable. The ability to save graphs and charts directly from the analyzer plus the ability to connect directly to a computer for higher resolution graphs with a high degree of info is exceptionally useful.

I'm using a MACBOOK laptop with Parallels software to run the AntScope software.

KB4DU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2017 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favorite test instrument. I use it to measure everything from the antenna connection on the rig to the guy ropes at the end of the antenna. The additional features of the AA54 compared to the AA30 are well worth the money, especially to measure several frequencies at once. The included software really extends the capabilities to include nearly everything a ham could use.

WB6UQA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2017 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Great for Hex Beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can scan 5 bands at the same time. Can test for interaction of bands.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2016 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Fast, Easy, Accurate. Just GREAT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The AA-54 was so easy to use, it just about didn't need an instruction manual. It does come with a manual though.

Gonna rate it a 5 even though it does not come with a case. The case would have been nice to have.

Tuning a 4 band vertical was very easy... EXREMELY easy with the AA-54. The graphic readout is not the highest resolution, but perfectly fine for the task at hand.

Setting the AA-54 to scan from 1.8mHz to 30mHz gave a clear picture of the overall response of the antenna. Refining the scan to cover individual bands lets you fine tune easily - in my case putting a 1:1.5 swr just touching the top of 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters.

It's nice to be able to save frequencies, and scan each of those individually.

This unit is so handy, there is no way I'd think of tuning an antenna any other way. Definately not an analyzer to "use then sell". Its a keeper.

My daily work includes installation and service of many UHF 450mHz-470mHz low power (4 watt) stations for data telemetry. I'll be getting an AA-600 for that. Its worth the price, and will get a lot of use.

KM6AXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 08:11 Send this review to a friend
A Wonderful tool But....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I "think" I am using the analyzer correctly. At least, it sure looks like it's giving this newbie helpful information. Even though I do not yet understand all it's components, it sure has pleased me!! I love learning new stuff - I wish there was more in depth info as to "how does one use the data to improve antenna problems". I know the data is there but I lack the knowledge to use it correctly. For example, page 10 of the user manual discusses the R.X graph mode. That is fine - but what I need to know is how does one pick out danger/performance issues by looking at that graph? The SWR part I get (I think - but newbie still) and using it seems to produce great results. Maybe the manufactuer rightly assumes that if one is to use this device, one should know HOW to use it:):) I can understand that and will endeavor to search the internet for such "using answers". Just lazy on my part I reckon? Anyway, I am very happy with it and recommend it's use to all (hopefully your user knowledge is greater than mine).

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
All hams doing HF should have one of these. Easy to use and it's just the best antenna analyzer on the market.

DJ3UN Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As someone wrote already - this gave me more information about my antennas then I ever had about any of my antennas before :)

Great device, stable, I personally expected it to be little bit smaller, but so far so good, really happy with it.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Quality upgrade from MFJ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my Rigexpert AA-54 when my MFJ259B died. The AA-54 is significantly better at around the same price. I got mine on sale at HRO in the Bay Area location near San Jose. It has every feature I need and works well on all bands including 160m which I could never make work right on the MFJ. The battery life is also excellent. I have yet to use all the features but will soon be tryint additional tests with it. I couldn't recommend this product more.

N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2016 03:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna Analyzer with Great Computer Data Acquisition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the RigExpert AA-54 in August of 2013.

A presentation link showing its many computer based capabilities is below. Examples of SWR graphs, using the Matlab on the data exported from the computer DAQ system may be found at my QRZ page for both of my antennas one of which is a wide band 80m OCF.

A most powerful part of this product is the software that ships with it. Amazing software.

Summary of Computer DAQ sofware capability below.

Regarding the stand alone instrument:

The AA-54 has the on board ability to display up to five individual SWR values as a function of user defined frequency on screen.

Additionally, on screen, one can scan and display an SWR graph across a user defined frequency range anywhere within the supported range.

On board, complete look at impedance, including resolution of that impedance to SWR enables understanding if the antenna needs capacitance or inductance.

However, the AA-54 really shines with its USB computer interface and software, a demo of which is shown at the above link (and example plots at my qrz page).

The included software enables real time upload to computer, of impedance data (single point or wide frequency range scan), and, also, provides a comprehensive software plotting/graphical evaluation package enabling:

SWR as function of individual frequency or across a wide user selected frequency range (user selectable number of data points in that range) with clear graphing capability which includes showing where the ham bands are on the plot (see my QRZ page for example).

Impedance data as function of frequency can be exported to .csv file or .antdata file.

The .csv file enables further computation of SWR, and, use of third party graphical programs like Matlab.

The .antdata file saves the onboard graph for future load and comparison with a new scan. Two scans can be display simultaneously with the provided software for quick comparison.

Impedance as a function of individual frequency or across user selected range.

Complete Smith chart.

There are other features associated with testing coax cable for reflection, etc.

One can also send an impulse or a square wave forcing function to the antenna to get real time transient response of antenna/feedline system. Properly analyzed this can give the attenuation of the system.

Ability to do new scan while also retain of the previous graph to see how any changes to the antenna affected the last scan.

This instrument is absolutely invaluable.

However, in addition to a comprehensive software package, and, benchmark hardware package....there is benchmark customer service....to whit...

I became confused about one of the settings after I bought the analyzer, and, emailed RigExpert email posted on their website.

Over night I received an email response which was written clearly. However, the response also indicated that I provide some specific diagnostic (on board) test results back so that they could make sure all was OK (diagnostics). I did, and, again, overnight, received an all good response.

Not only is this instrument benchmark for field or computer DAQ, but, the customer support is great as well.

Lastly, a Matlab object has been built and made public at the Mathworks public sharing site to acquired data real time into Matlab for analysis.

So, one can leverage the powerful capabilities of Matlab with this instrument, which, is a very large benefit.

No other instrument even comes close in this price range.

K4WQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Brought one of these prior to rebuilding my old Hustler 5-BTV vertical. Using this analyzer, it was quite apparent that the default settings for the antenna were significantly off. Loved that it is small enough to hand carry right to the antenna site. Interfaces with PC as well. I periodically run SWR curves on all the bands I operate and print them out. Very handy to see any long-term changes. Money well spent if you want to maximize any antenna installation.